collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464701 times)

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #555 on: December 22, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
Unless things pick up quick I can see the owners getting a new manager in. Been trying to think of who and what could be an option? Our guys are excellent business men, doubt they want to risk their investment at this stage with regards relegation.
Sure they will be ambitious with the profile if it were to happen, but who?
- Allegri (ambitious, profile, coup) - very unlikely
- Poch - as above
- Bielsa?
- Emery
- Blanc
- Solari
- Kovac
- Southgate
- Rafa

Struggling to think of a ‘list’

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #556 on: December 22, 2019, 04:22:16 PM »
Unless things pick up quick I can see the owners getting a new manager in. Been trying to think of who and what could be an option? Our guys are excellent business men, doubt they want to risk their investment at this stage with regards relegation.
- Poch - as above
- Bielsa?
- Emery
- Blanc
- Solari
- Kovac
- Southgate
- Rafa

Benitez is the obvious one. Family still living in Merseyside and it's a decent project to take on.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #557 on: December 22, 2019, 04:23:23 PM »
- Poch - as above
- Bielsa?
- Emery
- Blanc
- Solari
- Kovac
- Southgate
- Rafa

Benitez is the obvious one. Family still living in Merseyside and it's a decent project to take on.

Him hating Purslow might be an issue

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #558 on: December 22, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
I want some pace, with some pace and then some pace too. We could also do with some pace and if we can do it, and it might be tough, then we could try for some pace.

In the first few games Trez looked rapid, not sure what happened there. AEG is also fast when he gets going.

Problem at this level is we're too slow moving the ball from side to side unless Jack is doing the passing so they don't have the acres of space to run into.

Edit: if we're going to have players with pace we need a player in central midfield who can effortlessly hit first time passes out wide like Barry-Petrov combination could do for Young and Gabby out wide.
This has been one of the key issues all season. Watch how Norwood does this so well for SheffU, for example.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #559 on: December 22, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
I want some pace, with some pace and then some pace too. We could also do with some pace and if we can do it, and it might be tough, then we could try for some pace.

In the first few games Trez looked rapid, not sure what happened there. AEG is also fast when he gets going.

Problem at this level is we're too slow moving the ball from side to side unless Jack is doing the passing so they don't have the acres of space to run into.

Edit: if we're going to have players with pace we need a player in central midfield who can effortlessly hit first time passes out wide like Barry-Petrov combination could do for Young and Gabby out wide.
This has been one of the key issues all season. Watch how Norwood does this so well for SheffU, for example.

I do think over time Luiz could develop into a nice continuity midfielder but he has real lapses in concentration and positioning so still very green at this level.

Hourihane can sometimes do it but that's generally against teams who just stand off him (Newcastle) There's not many teams in this league who do that.

Lots of work to do in January, much more than I was ideally hoping.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #560 on: December 22, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »

I do think over time Luiz could develop into a nice continuity midfielder but he has real lapses in concentration and positioning so still very green at this level.

Hourihane can sometimes do it but that's generally against teams who just stand off him (Newcastle) There's not many teams in this league who do that.

I think that’s it. Luiz has plenty of talent, but should be being bedded in.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #561 on: December 22, 2019, 05:37:47 PM »

Yes their are flashes from Luiz that show he has something about him but he is still adapting , he like a few others if we can stay up will be better next year the problem is staying up which is why short term proven players are a must this window.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #562 on: December 22, 2019, 10:13:04 PM »
With John McGinn injured the time is to get in Jared Bowne and add in Kelvin Phillips a move which would have been good in summer.
Would be good to get these deal in the window.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #563 on: December 22, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
I thought you said Kevin Philips!

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #564 on: December 23, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
Why would Leeds, in the position that they’re in currently, and Kelvin Phillips for that matter join us right now. If we were going to sign him it was last summer not now. You may as well say sign Harry Kane.

We need a proven striker, a proven PL performer or someone from overseas that plays in a top league. That’s just for starters. Wishlist striker would be Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, he knows were the back of the net is but could we get him and go 2 up top with Wes?  He’d cost the thick end of 60 million but he’d get goals and keep us up.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:10:56 AM by OzVilla »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #565 on: December 23, 2019, 12:16:59 AM »

I think that’s it. Luiz has plenty of talent, but should be being bedded in.

Looked great on Tuesday night against an U23 side where the game was slowed and he could impose himself physically.  Top flight football is a bit too quick for him at the moment and he always seems rushed.  Doesn't look like he could can do a job as an attacking or defensive midfielder at this point. 

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #566 on: December 23, 2019, 01:53:44 AM »
It's not many years back when we were in a very similar position we spent a small fortune on a proven centre forward who banged them in and turned our fortunes around. Again please.

Offline geolex

« Reply #567 on: December 23, 2019, 05:25:58 AM »
just to point out  "if required " are his words not mine

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #568 on: December 23, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
Mad as a box of frogs Bielsa would certainly lead to a fitter squad and be the ultimate freewheeling appointment.

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #569 on: December 23, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
Why would Leeds, in the position that they’re in currently, and Kelvin Phillips for that matter join us right now. If we were going to sign him it was last summer not now. You may as well say sign Harry Kane.

We need a proven striker, a proven PL performer or someone from overseas that plays in a top league. That’s just for starters. Wishlist striker would be Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, he knows were the back of the net is but could we get him and go 2 up top with Wes?  He’d cost the thick end of 60 million but he’d get goals and keep us up.

Sadly, I don’t think we’re going to sign Germany’s first choice striker and probably the best young striker on the planet

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal