collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 464431 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #540 on: December 22, 2019, 12:18:52 PM »
We need an experienced holding player. Someone who can shore things up a bit and lead. A Premier League Whelan.

No names jump out to me tbh

Nemanja Matic comes to mind for me.

Not as quick as he used to be but vastly experienced and would add physical element to our midfield.

Inter and AC Milan looking at him though so that's the issue with trying to go after top level players.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #541 on: December 22, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »
I suggested Matic a while back.  Older player but classy.  Against our principle of bringing younger players through, but then getting relegated is also hugely against our principles, or so I would think!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #542 on: December 22, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
If Snodgrass was available, I'd be bringing him back. Albrighton too. We need some solid pros in the squad who still have life left in their legs to lead the team in a relegation battle.. It's something we lost over the summer.

I severely doubt the likes of Whelan would have tolerated Grealish's lack of professionalism yesterday or AEG being constantly at fault for opposition goals by not doing his job.

The guys who werent good enough for us last season, Taylor, Lansbury and Kodjia to be let go.

Out of  interest, what lack of professionalism do you mean regarding Jack?

I'm a huge Jack Grealish fan as much as anyone on here. Also the buck ultimately stops with Dean Smith for the problems in the team not Grealish or any other individual. But Grealish is not a kid anymore, he is 24 years of age. He is also the captain of our team and with that comes responsibility.

His performance in the first half yesterday was diabolical in terms of leadership. Pure and utter petulance with everything going on around him. Berating the ref, getting into verbals with everyone else. We needed above all else a calm captain in that first half an hour when the game was lost. Someone to gee up the others around him, slow the game down and get us going. Grealish did none of that, an admittedly fine goal late on was only a consolation and shouldn't hide another very disappointing display. And as for that shite at the end lying on the pitch like a child might do, ffs spare me the dramatics. It's funny that Grealish's stats have improved recently but his performances are dropping like the rest of them.

Moving Grealish back to the centre may not be the answer either, he was completely ineffective in that role earlier in the season. Maybe a number 10 type role for a few games.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #543 on: December 22, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »
I want some pace, with some pace and then some pace too. We could also do with some pace and if we can do it, and it might be tough, then we could try for some pace.

Offline levico

« Reply #544 on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
I want some pace, with some pace and then some pace too. We could also do with some pace and if we can do it, and it might be tough, then we could try for some pace.

Couldn’t agree more. The guy sitting next to me yesterday was continually screaming about our pedestrian build up play. He was very annoying but absolutely correct.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #545 on: December 22, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »
Probably looking at best part of £60m to stay up.  Two strikers, a proper defensive midfielder, and someone to replace Targett.
Can the owners do that considering the rumours about the fair spending etc?

Offline geolex

« Reply #546 on: December 22, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
According to an article in the times (saturday) DS says that FFP isn't a problem  and he's not looking to ship players out and can bring players in if required

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #547 on: December 22, 2019, 01:45:27 PM »
If required - lol.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #548 on: December 22, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
Just watching Osasuna-Real Soceidad. Great game, 3-4.

We have no chance getting likes of Odegaard or Alex Isak (one we should've targeted in the summer) but I like Chimy Avila upfront. Scored twice today and he works very hard and makes clever runs.

Sort of striker who'd do well in premier league imo so he could be a lower cost option to look at.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #549 on: December 22, 2019, 02:45:13 PM »

In the first few games Trez looked rapid, not sure what happened there. AEG is also fast when he gets going.

Problem at this level is we're too slow moving the ball from side to side unless Jack is doing the passing so they don't have the acres of space to run into.

Edit: if we're going to have players with pace we need a player in central midfield who can effortlessly hit first time passes out wide like Barry-Petrov combination could do for Young and Gabby out wide.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:46:58 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #550 on: December 22, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
We need two or three player's brought in the January window and they need to hit the ground running.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #551 on: December 22, 2019, 02:53:02 PM »
A defense midfielder and a striker is the absolute minimum

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #552 on: December 22, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »
Impressed with Basic, a Croat playing for Bordeaux. Left footed tall midfielder who carries the ball well. Looks like a younger, cheaper Matic.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #553 on: December 22, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
I suggested Matic a while back.  Older player but classy.  Against our principle of bringing younger players through, but then getting relegated is also hugely against our principles, or so I would think!

God no. He can’t get into the worst MU midfield in living memory. Makes Hourihane look fast. We don’t need journeymen looking for their final pay off. Ditto, Pedro

Bowen from Hull please plus Mitrovic

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #554 on: December 22, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
According to an article in the times (saturday) DS says that FFP isn't a problem  and he's not looking to ship players out and can bring players in if required

It is very much required alongside some tactical ideas and willingness to change.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal