collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 468942 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #3300 on: January 30, 2020, 08:42:34 AM »
I love Chester and yes in theory he's earned a move if that is what he wants.  But in our precarious position I would prefer we just be more hard nosed and keep him until the summer.  I'm sure he'd be great in a three if Hause loses form or picks up a knock.

With Chester & Engels as back up, I'd concentrate our limited funds elsewhere.   I'd love decent cover for Marv.  If he get's injured we don't have a natural out and out DM.  I think Nzonzi would have been ideal.  If I could have only one of a striker or wide player, now with have Samatta in & Davis seemingly fit, I think I'd opt for a scoring wide player.  I can't believe Bowen hasn't been picked up by someone as I've felt for some time he could be excellent for us.  I'm guessing we can't spend the cash to get someone like him or Benrahma at the moment, but hoping the club pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Not a word of a lie anywhere in the above.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3301 on: January 30, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »
I love Chester and yes in theory he's earned a move if that is what he wants.  But in our precarious position I would prefer we just be more hard nosed and keep him until the summer.  I'm sure he'd be great in a three if Hause loses form or picks up a knock.

With Chester & Engels as back up, I'd concentrate our limited funds elsewhere.   I'd love decent cover for Marv.  If he get's injured we don't have a natural out and out DM.  I think Nzonzi would have been ideal.  If I could have only one of a striker or wide player, now with have Samatta in & Davis seemingly fit, I think I'd opt for a scoring wide player.  I can't believe Bowen hasn't been picked up by someone as I've felt for some time he could be excellent for us.  I'm guessing we can't spend the cash to get someone like him or Benrahma at the moment, but hoping the club pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

This is more or less where I am.  It's possibly a gamble just keeping the 2 strikers because we don't know how good Samatta will be and we don't know how long Davis will stay fit (given his injury record).  It looks like we're going to bring in another striker though (Sturrige?).

A possible way to get either Bowen or Benrahma would be a loan to buy but I can't see Brentford selling in this window.  Nzonzi would be a fantastic loan.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3302 on: January 30, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
If Dean seems intent on sticking with the current formation, do we really need another central striker (if Samatta and Davis stay fit)? We only have Trez, Anwar and Jack for the two wide forward positions (assuming Jota is going on loan).  Would we be better getting a forward who can also play wide, rather than a straight-up number 9?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3303 on: January 30, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
Watkins would fit that specification but are Brentford going to prejudice their push for the playoffs.  I doubt it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3304 on: January 30, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
We need a winger and a forward. Davis will be injured again before Valentine's Day. Gambling on one forward was stupid in August and it would be stupid now.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3305 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:29 AM »
We need a winger and a forward. Davis will be injured again before Valentine's Day. Gambling on one forward was stupid in August and it would be stupid now.

Our realistic options are Benteke and Sturridge, both of whom are notorious sick notes. No point signing a back-up striker who is known to pull up any time someone breathes on them in training.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3306 on: January 30, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Brentford will sell  if we hand over £25-30m, which we are obviously not going to do. Get some sort of loan in and then hope we have enough to stay up.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3307 on: January 30, 2020, 09:09:53 AM »
Watkins would fit that specification but are Brentford going to prejudice their push for the playoffs.  I doubt it.
I think you're right.  Brentford have sold a load of players over the last few years and now they are near the top owe it to their fans to have a proper go at it this season.  I'd like some of their players but it would be good to see such a well run club promoted.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3308 on: January 30, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »

Our realistic options are Benteke and Sturridge, both of whom are notorious sick notes. No point signing a back-up striker who is known to pull up any time someone breathes on them in training.

Why are they our only "realistic" options? There are thousands of strikers on the planet.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #3309 on: January 30, 2020, 09:20:58 AM »

Why are they our only "realistic" options? There are thousands of strikers on the planet.

Available for transfer at the arse end of the tricky January window?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #3310 on: January 30, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
Yes. It's not like nobody has ever signed anyone on January 31st before.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #3311 on: January 30, 2020, 09:39:07 AM »

Jeeps - no to both. Last seen playing well over 4 years ago.

Offline frank black

« Reply #3312 on: January 30, 2020, 09:43:13 AM »
Have we signed Benteke yet, what’s the point of this needless delay before the bleeding obvious happens? 🤷‍♂️

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #3313 on: January 30, 2020, 09:56:47 AM »
Bowen has not moved yet, though seems to be available.

After three defeats, Hull are mid-table and likely to stay there. So they might decide to cash in now rather than give him an improved contract and then not be a position to offload in so strong a seller's market in the future.

Us and lots of others are after a striker - more so than normal in my view. UTV.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3314 on: January 30, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
If Dean seems intent on sticking with the current formation, do we really need another central striker (if Samatta and Davis stay fit)? We only have Trez, Anwar and Jack for the two wide forward positions (assuming Jota is going on loan).  Would we be better getting a forward who can also play wide, rather than a straight-up number 9?

Agreed,  a forward player capable of playing across the front three or two would be ideal. Provided McGinn comes back fit in March I'd expect him and Jack to occupy those inside forward positions.

If we assume the back 3 and 2 wing backs formation will stay for the rest of the season

Luiz/Drinky , Nakamba
McGinn/AEG, Samatta/Davis, Jack

With likes of Hourihane and Trez as options. I was very impressed with Davis on Tues night considering how little football he has had. Taking a big risk on his fitness but physically he is well able for that role.

Think we have a huge risk at centre half to be honest, I'd be happy to let Chester and Taylor leave, reintegrate Engels and bring in someone for LCB/LWB cover. Retreating to a back four would expose Targett all over again. The Engels situation needs resolving asap, perhaps Christensen at Chelsea could be an option to come in if Engels leaves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal