collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:34:14 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 03:22:21 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 03:20:13 PM]

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 03:10:44 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 03:07:15 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 03:34:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 03:33:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:30:25 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:26:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ducksworthy
[Today at 03:24:46 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 03:24:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 03:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by usav
[Today at 03:23:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 32086 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Wolves v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »
Their second was down to an awful pass from McGinn and a woeful challenge from Luiz. Blaming Taylor for it is pretty bizarre. He's got a lot of faults to moan about, but that goal ain't one of them.

Offline postal

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2019, 05:29:26 PM »
Just saw brief highlights and it looked like Nyland nearly got to their 2nd goal. Got to give him credit for coming on so soon, and who knows if he will be starting next game.
These games do show that we do need a plan when an influential player is missing. And as someone else said that another tactic / layout is needed and maybe start with Kodjia & Wesley. It might remove a midfielder/ winger, but if the 2 forwarders can help each other, it will free up the midfield to having to actively support a single forward.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »
Have we ever had a more frail and insipid front three? They struggle physically when we have the ball and fail to put the effort in for the team when we don’t. I think we are ok in terms of options at the back and midfield but until he addresses our approach and personnel going forward, it’s going to be touch and go this season.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
Just watched the post match with the manager and he was brutally honest about the first half display which is heartening in a sport where so many would retreat into denial and bullshit.
This season was always going to be tough, none of this is a surprise, but he can't let the team throw in too many more performances like that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2019, 05:35:46 PM »

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2019, 05:39:26 PM »
Got the potato ambling into Villa Park, next. He'd love to get one over on us. But he won't. Perfect game to kick start the season I reckon.

Crap today. Thought Konsa, Mings and Guilbert did ok, and that's about it. Left back is a big issue. Targett was embarrassing, and seemed to give up, Taylor is a nightmare to watch.

Wesley needs someone up with him. Luiz isn't as good as I thought he'd be away from home. Mcginn needs a rest it seems.

We missed Jack terribly.

Not a happy man tonight.
Taylor played well you numpty

Did he really, though? Not in the match I was watching. Looked uncomfortable in possession, not good going forward, can't really pass a football. A poor player.

But if that's what equates to playing well in your eyes, the best of luck to you.

Numpty. Oh dear.

Taylor was awful, they walked through him for the second goal, as usual.
   2nd goal was Mcginn's fault not your resident scapegoat get real you scapegoat merchants

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »
Their second was down to an awful pass from McGinn and a woeful challenge from Luiz. Blaming Taylor for it is pretty bizarre. He's got a lot of faults to moan about, but that goal ain't one of them.

Yes actually, my mistake, for some reason I saw the challenge as being Taylor and not Luiz.  I therefore upgrade Taylor to 'mediocre'. 😉  And to be fair, he was a huge improvement on Targett, who really was terrible.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2019, 05:49:04 PM »
Interestingly varied points being made about individual players. Amazed anyone could think AEG had an ok game.

But then I guess in a performance like that it’s a bit like arguing about whether Charles Manson or Fred west is friendlier.

I thought he was better 2nd half but very poor in the first.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »
Overall, the team just doesn't look right at the moment.  It's no surprise that confidence is low, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of cohesion or team spirit. Mings looks eternally pissed off with everybody, and SJM just hasn't been at the races for a few games now.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2019, 05:53:11 PM »
Just watched the post match with the manager and he was brutally honest about the first half display which is heartening in a sport where so many would retreat into denial and bullshit.
This season was always going to be tough, none of this is a surprise, but he can't let the team throw in too many more performances like that.

Dean Smith tends to say what is true about a match. What can be a little troubling is the lack of tactical change as a result. Let's see how he sets up against Newcastle. If Trezeguet and El Ghazi both start then you've got to question why he's got angry.

Offline de bank

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2019, 05:53:33 PM »
Just poor, our first 11 just may be good enough to stay up, but when injuries & suspensions take affect, like today, we will struggle, it’s mainly due to our front three & especially the wingers, not prem quality, so why is Smith persisting with this formation & can people stop going on about ‘this time last year’ it’s irrelevant! We’re a big club in the premier league now, We need to start learning fast, Dean Smith needs to stop talking a good game & show it on the pitch, he needs to stop being stubborn & start being flexible with his formation, drop the wingers & we need need jack to stay fit & to be lucky in the January transfer window if we’re to stay up.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
Don’t want to repeat too much of what’s been said, but as much as wolves were very good 1st half, we were poor. Complete opposite to Liverpool last week in terms of tracking back and effort. 2nd half was bit better and last 10 mins were probably on top but too little too late. A few luxury players out there for me, Luiz in particular shirks a few challenges.

A couple of other points.
1. Taylor’s not a great player but did little wrong, it’s very dull having such a regular scapegoat;
2. Wesley not showing a great deal but is isolated and judging him after 12 games as villas worst ever striker is a bit laughable. Maybe I’ve been going down too long but Simon Stainrod, Malcolm Allen and obviously big Rudy (who is probs the worst player I’ve ever seen at VP) spring to mind.
3. As bad as we were today I had the que of ‘smiths’ in trouble merchants who seem to be queuing up every time we get a few poor results/performances. That attitude really is a load of old shite. Smiths done a remarkable job in 12 months. Did anyone really think there were times this season when we wouldn’t lose 3 in a row??
4. Do we think smith couldn’t be arsed to but a 2nd striker? I doubt any manager would make that decision, that decision was made for him.
5. Newcastle is massive and we need VP rocking!!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
One of the toughest things to stomach relative to Wolves is just how fast it all happened to them and just how fast they became this strong. Yes we pulled off an absolute miracle to go up and that in part is why it's been so challenging getting all the pieces right and to work together. But the core of this Wolves team destroyed the Championship, they added great pieces last summer and got into Europe and now are continuing to develop. Truth is today proved that there is quite a gap that will take us a year or two and countless millions to close. We averaged 10m a player this summer to essentially replace players who were barely Championship level anymore. In the PL, it's not 30-40m for anything of the required quality and when our record buy is a 20m pretty unknown and untested Brazilian kid from Belgium we're all probably asking a lot. It's hugely frustrating to, but the posts reminding us just where we were 12 months ago adds required perspective.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »
One of the toughest things to stomach relative to Wolves is just how fast it all happened to them and just how fast they became this strong. Yes we pulled off an absolute miracle to go up and that in part is why it's been so challenging getting all the pieces right and to work together. But the core of this Wolves team destroyed the Championship, they added great pieces last summer and got into Europe and now are continuing to develop. Truth is today proved that there is quite a gap that will take us a year or two and countless millions to close. We averaged 10m a player this summer to essentially replace players who were barely Championship level anymore. In the PL, it's not 30-40m for anything of the required quality and when our record buy is a 20m pretty unknown and untested Brazilian kid from Belgium we're all probably asking a lot. It's hugely frustrating to, but the posts reminding us just where we were 12 months ago adds required perspective.

This.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2019, 06:09:43 PM »

Yes actually, my mistake, for some reason I saw the challenge as being Taylor and not Luiz.  I therefore upgrade Taylor to 'mediocre'. 😉  And to be fair, he was a huge improvement on Targett, who really was terrible.

It was down to the pass but it does make you wonder if that challenge by Taylor when playing for Wales is still playing on his mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal