collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home  (Read 76437 times)

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Re: League Cup Quarter-Final - Liverpool at home
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
Also, I'm not sure why Liverpool are getting flack for this (much as I dislike them). It's not their fault they're in two competitions scheduled to play at the same time. The EFL are responsible for scheduling the league cup and should have a contingency for this eventuality. Asking Liverpool to play both at the same time is ludicrous.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
I assume that there lot will get all of the North Stand

Hopefully they will have to play there reserves, but knowing the FA, we will be playing on a date that suits them

I bet SKY are hoping for a City V Utd Final.

The draw looks a bit dodgy with Citeh and Yanited getting the easy ties. Surprise, surprise...

Every competition benefits financially when Man U are in it because of the global interest.  Now imagine the hype and advertising potential if it became an all Manchester final.
I like conspiracy theories as much as the next man, but do people seriously think the BBC, Zoe Ball and David James are going to get involved in a fixed draw just to benefit Manchester cluns?  Why on earth would they do that?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2019, 12:13:50 PM »

Hopefully they will have to play there reserves, but knowing the FA, we will be playing on a date that suits them

The draw looks a bit dodgy with Citeh and Yanited getting the easy ties. Surprise, surprise...

Every competition benefits financially when Man U are in it because of the global interest.  Now imagine the hype and advertising potential if it became an all Manchester final.
I like conspiracy theories as much as the next man, but do people seriously think the BBC, Zoe Ball and David James are going to get involved in a fixed draw just to benefit Manchester cluns?  Why on earth would they do that?

Makes no sense chris, but then some people think the earth is round.

A much more appealing and provable theory is that the universe has it in for Aston Villa.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
Also, I'm not sure why Liverpool are getting flack for this (much as I dislike them). It's not their fault they're in two competitions scheduled to play at the same time. The EFL are responsible for scheduling the league cup and should have a contingency for this eventuality. Asking Liverpool to play both at the same time is ludicrous.

Much as I dislike them, I agree. And it should at least be possible for a team to compete to win every trophy available to them. In the hugely unlikely event that Villa ever find ouselves in that position, I would be annoyed at being forced to withdraw or play a youth team in one competition, especially when you have already made it through as far as the Quarter-Finals.

The fairest thing is clearly to play the game in January.

I'm still hoping for an unfair outcome resulting in Villa getting a bye or playing Liverpool Schoolboys though, obviously.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:33:02 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2019, 12:36:43 PM »

Yes, Zoe Ball must be a United fan... I always knew she was in the employ of the lizard people.  Check paranoia levels...

Online lovejoy

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
Why has this issue only been spotted now?

Offline danno

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »

Yes, Zoe Ball must be a United fan... I always knew she was in the employ of the lizard people.  Check paranoia levels...

As a close family friend of Johnny Bobby and Michael, I am shocked and appalled at this unfounded accusation!
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »

Much as I dislike them, I agree. And it should at least be possible for a team to compete to win every trophy available to them. In the hugely unlikely event that Villa ever find ouselves in that position, I would be annoyed at being forced to withdraw or play a youth team in one competition, especially when you have already made it through as far as the Quarter-Finals.

The fairest thing is clearly to play the game in January.

I'm still hoping for an unfair outcome resulting in Villa getting a bye or playing Liverpool Schoolboys though, obviously.

Sums up my feelings too.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2019, 12:54:05 PM »

Well, it wasn't an issue until 10pm last night.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2019, 12:59:38 PM »

I’d like to think clubs plan their fixtures more than one round at a time.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

I’d like to think clubs plan their fixtures more than one round at a time.

I think even Liverpool would have the awareness to not talk about a future round of a competition before they had negotiated the current one.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: League Cup Quarter-Final
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »
If we play our first team against their reserves then we should compete against them.

Breaking news on BBC Sport:

EFL in Liverpool discussions
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said his side will not be able to play their Carabao Cup quarter-final if the fixture cannot be rearranged to avoid a clash with the Fifa Club World Cup.

An EFL spokesman said: “The EFL is in discussions with Liverpool FC to identify an alternative date given the club’s participation in the Fifa Club World Cup competition.”

He's bricking it.

They should scratch and we'll get a bye

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:05 PM »
There's no way on earth that the sponsors and TV will stand for the biggest name in a competition pulling out. We'll play at a time to suit Liverpool.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
We shouldn't have to accommodate Liverpool. We tell them the game is played on the 17th/18th December and that they play a kid's team if needs be, otherwise they can't fulfill the fixture and forfeit the game. We wont do that but we'd be well within our rights to.

Now it's going to be played in January when we may have picked up injuries over Christmas and we're going to end up with a backlog with the semis being delayed if we get through.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
Just about the worst draw to get :(
No. Possibly the best draw other than Oxford and Colchester. Man City would have been the worst draw possible as they don’t have a reserve team.

I agree with Aftab. Citeh, Man Ure, Leicester even Everton away would have been far worse. Last night Steve Nicol was of the opinion that Klopp would play the kids all the way to the final. I would expect Deano to play a full strength team for this assuming we get some decent points on board by then. Hopefully a repeat of Easter Monday 1979. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal