collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Standing, Not Sitting  (Read 3804 times)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
Standing, Not Sitting
« on: October 20, 2019, 07:36:47 AM »
I don’t know what the rest of the ground is doing, but it has become normal now for the Lower Holte to watch the whole match standing up. I am 5ft 6” and I am behind two six-plus-foot chaps. My view is through whatever gaps there are between them. It is also very tiring for older chaps like myself to be stood on the same spot for 40 minutes at a time.

The game is now spoilt for me. It was fine when everyone just stood for moments of excitement.

I expect that there will be a lot of jocular responses to this thread, but I’d be grateful for some genuine suggestions as to what, if anything, I can do about it.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Standing, Not Sitting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:18:57 AM »
My granddad, at Barnsley away in the FA Cup some years ago, shouted "sit down" and hit the blokes in front on the head with his walking stick. Obviously not suggesting that, but it worked.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
I took my season tickets in the lower Doug just as that bit curves around towards the Holte end

your close enough to the Holte to feel a part of the atmosphere but when you
1 have an 11 & 14 year old kids with you
2 are nearer 60 than 50 years of age
3 are 5'7'' (taller than you shorty)
it gives you exactly what you want Alan, sitting down mostly and standing for the attacking/exiting bits

Lower Holte as been standing up for years now doubt it's going to change,
standing doesn't bother me in the main I just accept it especially at away's but at home you do have more of a choice

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
I'd suggest possibly sitting upstairs in the Holte, if finances and the knees allow it. They tend not to stand up and it's a decent view.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 09:45:09 AM »
I'm guessing that as every game is a sell out and there's a waiting list for season tickets shifting places might not be that easy.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
Could he not re-locate though next season (if he is a season ticket holder that is)? Not sure how it works if i'm honest.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:17 AM »
Where there is a will there is a way - I suggest you write to the club Alan and explain your predicament - can't do any harm can it ? They will either sort it or ignore it :)
Cheers, VCTM

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »
Going in the Lower Holte or Lower North that is the chance you take as it's largely accepted that most if not all will be stood all game, especially for bigger games. If everyone sat down all game the atmosphere would be like Fulham.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
Going in the Lower Holte or Lower North that is the chance you take as it's largely accepted that most if not all will be stood all game, especially for bigger games. If everyone sat down all game the atmosphere would be like Fulham.

And sing, don’t forget the singing.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:20 AM »

And sing, don’t forget the singing.
Forgot that. Cheers Pete  :-*

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
I don’t know what the rest of the ground is doing, but it has become normal now for the Lower Holte to watch the whole match standing up. I am 5ft 6” and I am behind two six-plus-foot chaps. My view is through whatever gaps there are between them. It is also very tiring for older chaps like myself to be stood on the same spot for 40 minutes at a time.

The game is now spoilt for me. It was fine when everyone just stood for moments of excitement.

I expect that there will be a lot of jocular responses to this thread, but I’d be grateful for some genuine suggestions as to what, if anything, I can do about it.

Stadiums gave up trying to sit down a few years ago. In my view, this is a backward step.

The only time that any spectator should be on their feet is during a celebration

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »

Yes, because it's impossible to sing while sitting down. Was gutted when I bought Nirvana Unplugged and the whole album was instrumentals.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »

Your 100% right about the standing up and it's whwnthese areas are on their feet that the noise increases

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »

Was gutted when I bought Nirvana Unplugged

I can imagine.

Offline Boot Boys of Boris

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 04:42:43 PM »
Even though they moved all the standers in the north lower for the wolves game, they all stood in Q1-Q4 in the lower doug ellis. All lower holte standing, some in the upper, all wolves standing. Surprisingly there were a couple of hundred standing in the upper doug ellis to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal