collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:02:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread  (Read 33288 times)

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
Re: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2019, 10:58:51 AM »
We were out passed until they got Mooy sent off. We were giving them acres in midfield and no pressing. They could pass it out from the back and that bloke with the beard for them had about 10 yards all round him to receive the ball - madness. Wesley seemed to have one of his tantrum games - didn't get much of a sniff, but didn't make their defence work. When Davies came on he did more with the ball in 20 mins than Wes' 70. I think Wes still needs to start against Man City as they might play 2 midfielders at centre back again.

Decent win and VAR is being run by morons. Brighton I was very impressed with the passing - if they had a decent striker they would be a real threat.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2019, 11:02:18 AM »
I thought that Brighton were the best of the 5 teams we've played at home in the league so far this season. Their passing and movement was excellent although it was surprising that we didn't press them from the front and they were able to play through us too easily as a result.

Still, we kept at it and that last minute goal is huge for us with a really tough 3 games coming up.

11 points from the first 9 games is a decent return and we've shown that we can compete at this level. No-one has outplayed us.

What is really great though is the number of players that I actively look forward to watching every week. Grealish, McGinn, Mings in particular have been a revelation.

Good times.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2019, 11:18:09 AM »
Trez was fine, he didn't change the game but his energy did stretch the Brighton defence a little bit more than we'd managed earlier in the second half.

edit: earl(ier)*

I like his energy. I still think he'll be a star for us, maybe playing off the main striker?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
Trez was fine, he didn't change the game but his energy did stretch the Brighton defence a little bit more than we'd managed earlier in the second half.

edit: earl(ier)*

I like his energy. I still think he'll be a star for us, maybe playing off the main striker?

We certainly haven't seem the best of him yet while playing on the wing so I wouldn't rule that out. Might be a decent shout if Wesley's hold-up play doesn't improve (soon) within the current system

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
Trezeguet has got more skill and control than El Ghazi, but not nearly as much attacking intent, and at this stage, he has zero eye for goal.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:59 PM »
Trezeguet has got more skill and control than El Ghazi, but not nearly as much attacking intent, and at this stage, he has zero eye for goal.

Can we not some how morph tham into one player

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »

Couldn't disagree more Risso.

Trez is completely one sided and as a result much easier to defend against . Puts a shift in but I haven't seen much quality from him so far, maybe the assist for McGinn aside I don't remember another one?

For all his faults, AEG has pace, two good feet and a fine shot on him. Still has a decent haul of goals and assists already plus was key to the red at Arsenal. Biggest problem is his poor workrate without the ball. I've been disappointed with him so far this season as I thought he would thrive at a higher level.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

Trez is completely one sided and as a result much easier to defend against . Puts a shift in but I haven't seen much quality from him so far, maybe the assist for McGinn aside I don't remember another one?

For all his faults, AEG has pace, two good feet and a fine shot on him. Still has a decent haul of goals and assists already plus was key to the red at Arsenal. Biggest problem is his poor workrate without the ball. I've been disappointed with him so far this season as I thought he would thrive at a higher level.

So not really disagreeing at all then?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »

So not really disagreeing at all then?

On the point of skill and control, yeah I am

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2019, 12:55:55 PM »
I saw the highlights and I still don't know why our goal was disallowed. No way is that a clear and obvious foul. And coaches should be able to challenge, like in NFL. That way we could have challenged the ludicrous free kick that they scored from.

Wesley's arm was raised when he jumped, even though it did not impede the keeper the stupid VAR official was always going to disallow!

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »

Really don't think it's fair to be judging Trezeguet on the basis of what we've seen so far. He's only had 5 starts with us and has yet to play an entire match. In his last 3 games, he's played less than 30 minutes in every single one. Red card aside I've not been overly disappointed with him yet, I felt he did fine on Saturday and I'll reserve judgement until he's been given a proper chance again.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »
It seems most would agree that at least 3 of our players (AEG, McGinn & Wesley) had off days and yet we still managed a win against a well drilled Brighton side, when all 11 are on their game we are unplayable.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »
So pleased with the win and another three points on board Jack was brilliant although we wasn't at our best we won which is the most important thing.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
their  goalie has an absolute shocker for the Targett goal

I was at the other side of the ground and wondered how it had gone in
now I know the goalie ducked right under it

reminded me of that Giggs finish in the FA cup against Arsenal in exactly the same spot
Giggs goal of the century my arse Seaman ducks under it

Both massive howlers in my view
but I’m not complaining, much rejoicing was enjoyed with the one that happened at the weekend

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2019, 03:23:15 PM »
Just viewed their goal again. Accepting the fact their free-kick decision was incorrect, our defending across the 18 yard line was poor. We had 7 Villa players marking 6 brighton players and yet their goalscorer was unmarked on the back post. Engels and Wes appeared to be marking no-one. Clearly work needed in training on defending free kicks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal