collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169547 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: MOTD
« Reply #945 on: November 29, 2023, 10:27:30 PM »
Yeah it’s tedious - Spurs were clearly weakened, but it wasn’t luck that got us the win. We were pretty open, which we’ll need to address, but it’s not like that performance is the absolute pinnacle of how we can play. We won on the road, despite not being at our best - if Spurs had done that at Villa Park they’d rightly be praised.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #946 on: November 30, 2023, 05:31:22 PM »
Not Match of the Day, but idiocy at BBC Sport. Just noticed this speak your brains gem on the Villa page:

We asked you whether you thought Aston Villa's current squad is the best in the club's history.

Sometimes I wish they'd just stop and think for a second. Is a squad that has risen nicely over a year but is yet to - or even look like they will imminently - win anything the best in a trophy-laden 150-year history?

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #947 on: November 30, 2023, 05:42:59 PM »
Most of the broadcast media are based in London or Manchester / Liverpool. Their consciousness does not extend outside the 'big 6' and they are fundamentally lazy and don't do any research. They wake up and act surprised and even offended at the results we have got but just do not understand the quality of players we have. It is as if the whole of the Midlands does not exist, a blur out of the window as they speed between Spurs and Manchester. The number of ex-player pundits from Midlands clubs is criminally low ..... Where is the wisdom of God himself on any media?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #948 on: November 30, 2023, 05:59:42 PM »
The number of ex-player pundits from Midlands clubs is criminally low ..... Where is the wisdom of God himself on any media?

I don't think it's something he'd want to do. As he said himself on The Tommy Tiernan Show, "I'm kind of a shy human being".

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #949 on: November 30, 2023, 06:04:31 PM »
Are you forgetting Villa legend Jenas?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #950 on: November 30, 2023, 06:29:20 PM »

I forget he played for us, then I remember he never really played for anyone.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #951 on: November 30, 2023, 07:46:04 PM »
How has a complete non entity footballer managed to get himself on TV on the top football show in England? Same as Danny Murphy the dull, boring, miserable prick. At least the latter had a more complete career.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #952 on: November 30, 2023, 07:50:01 PM »

I forget he played for us, then I remember he never really played for anyone.

Yes indeed, the word "played" is, to coin a phrase, doing some heavy lifting there.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #953 on: November 30, 2023, 10:36:02 PM »
Amongst the galaxy of ex villa players who would make great pundits, Gabby stood out today for his Forest Gump impression on talkshite this morning. I'm not going to post a link because it truly is shocking.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #954 on: November 30, 2023, 10:38:16 PM »
Gabby seems just another Robbie Savage. Say clickbait shite to generate traffic and actually contribute very little of substance. Fortunately I don't listen to TS so rarely come across his musings.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #955 on: November 30, 2023, 11:32:28 PM »
Not Match of the Day, but idiocy at BBC Sport. Just noticed this speak your brains gem on the Villa page:

We asked you whether you thought Aston Villa's current squad is the best in the club's history.

Sometimes I wish they'd just stop and think for a second. Is a squad that has risen nicely over a year but is yet to - or even look like they will imminently - win anything the best in a trophy-laden 150-year history?

I saw that. It arose from the (I’m not a fan, the podcast feels rather smug/I’m in charge you are my lackies) MOMS BBC column. In fact I didn’t even need to go back to source, they actually did quote it when asking the question:

Is Villa's squad the best in club's history?

Have your say

BBC Sport's Aston Villa fan contributor David Michael has argued that the Villans' matchday squad could be the best in the club's history in terms of "quality of depth".

Villa fans, we want to hear from you. Do you think Unai Emery's men make up the strongest squad yet - or is that a step too far? What other squads could take the top spot?

Let us know your thoughts here

I think arguing it might be our greatest squad depth isn’t as crazy as best ever squad, or at least it’s a lot clearer.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #956 on: November 30, 2023, 11:38:56 PM »
The number of ex-player pundits from Midlands clubs is criminally low ..... Where is the wisdom of God himself on any media?

I don't think it's something he'd want to do. As he said himself on The Tommy Tiernan Show, "I'm kind of a shy human being".

Where is / was the Tommy Tiernan show  - RTE?

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #957 on: December 01, 2023, 01:26:52 AM »

There's quite a few episodes on Youtube.

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #958 on: December 01, 2023, 05:23:39 AM »

On the very rare occasions I have heard Paul do pundit work I actually thought he was very good, but he obviously feels it's not for him.

Online Baldy

« Reply #959 on: December 01, 2023, 08:38:31 AM »

In fairness, apart from Liverpool, I think Villa must nearly have the most ex players as pundits on a few media outlets. As follows:

Dubin, Jenas, Joe Cole, Keown, Saunders, Gabby, Lescott, Keane, Townsend, Ginola, Warnock, Houghton, Merson, Micah, Schmeichel, Hendrie, Yorke and probably a few others I can't remember.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal