collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:04:49 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:55:07 PM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:49:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:43:04 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Risso
[Today at 02:38:45 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 02:33:34 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Olneythelonely
[Today at 02:32:02 PM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 02:08:23 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:04:49 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:55:07 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:49:05 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Olneythelonely
[Today at 02:47:15 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 02:45:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:43:04 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Risso
[Today at 02:38:45 PM]

Re: Emi Buendia - Injured by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:36:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169653 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: MOTD
« Reply #630 on: October 01, 2023, 05:28:25 PM »
Well said indeed. But I think players are more influenced by the media than we’d like to think.  They’re people like everyone else. 

I’m trying to think of an alternative, and it’s (a bit) before my time, but I imagine 1981 Ipswich are a bit like 2023 Brighton. We are always between two stalls. Plucky contenders for 8th or relegation candidates. Neither shoe fits, and neither should it.  Everton, Spurs, Newcastle, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd. All played in the (modern day) champions league.

Anyway, brilliant win yesterday.  Onto midweek and then the orange filth on the weekend.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #631 on: October 01, 2023, 05:34:46 PM »
References to the ‘big 8’ are becoming more common. Vincent Kompany said it the other day.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #632 on: October 01, 2023, 05:37:55 PM »
References to the ‘big 8’ are becoming more common. Vincent Kompany said it the other day.

Still not sure which eight teams they'd be talking about.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #633 on: October 01, 2023, 05:39:02 PM »

Usuals plus us and Newcastle

Offline AV84

« Reply #634 on: October 01, 2023, 05:43:23 PM »
Man C
Man U
Arsenal
Liverpool
Villa
Brighton
Spurs
Newcastle

Must be those, right, we're not still including Chelsea, are we?

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2023, 05:54:44 PM »
Postacoglu plays the game, he's a bit of a character, gives them the soundbites and click baity headlines they need. The results are going his way at the moment too which gives them another narrative to push, alongside the "life after Kane" angle.

Emery is a bit of a nerd (respectfully) who says the same thing every time he's asked a question. He's not marketable, he's not talking about the Fonz or doing sweary rants at his teams that go viral. He was poorly treated by the media last time he was in England, and he doesn't seem to be someone who naturally would want that attention anyway. As a manager he's amazing, providing weekly content for the 24 hour news feed, not so much.

People inside the football world are always more aware of what's going on than we might give them credit for. Come January we'll have had Emery for over a year, be halfway through our first full season with him, be challenging at the top end of the table, and still be in Europe (hopefully!) Any targets we have will be aware, or be made aware, of what we're doing, and they won't need MOTD or any other pundits to be doing that job for them.

I notice UE has a nervous habit of rubbing his left cheek at media interviews. He is not an attention seeker and indeed seems to be specifically uncomfortable with it

Online Dave

« Reply #636 on: October 01, 2023, 05:57:06 PM »

Usuals plus us and Newcastle

Why us and not Brighton? Or why not us and Brighton and leave Chelsea out?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #637 on: October 01, 2023, 06:03:32 PM »
Postacoglu plays the game, he's a bit of a character, gives them the soundbites and click baity headlines they need. The results are going his way at the moment too which gives them another narrative to push, alongside the "life after Kane" angle.

Emery is a bit of a nerd (respectfully) who says the same thing every time he's asked a question. He's not marketable, he's not talking about the Fonz or doing sweary rants at his teams that go viral. He was poorly treated by the media last time he was in England, and he doesn't seem to be someone who naturally would want that attention anyway. As a manager he's amazing, providing weekly content for the 24 hour news feed, not so much.

People inside the football world are always more aware of what's going on than we might give them credit for. Come January we'll have had Emery for over a year, be halfway through our first full season with him, be challenging at the top end of the table, and still be in Europe (hopefully!) Any targets we have will be aware, or be made aware, of what we're doing, and they won't need MOTD or any other pundits to be doing that job for them.

I notice UE has a nervous habit of rubbing his left cheek at media interviews. He is not an attention seeker and indeed seems to be specifically uncomfortable with it

Which works for us. As I don't think the sides currently aboue us or Chelsea will ever see him as an option.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #638 on: October 01, 2023, 08:09:59 PM »
Understandable Liverpool was first game, given the controversy and the late goal.

I thought the same. Thought our game should have been third with Luton beating Everton second, but Wolves inflicting Citeh's first defeat of the season was also a big result. Really not that bothered about our place in the running order if the length of highlights and analysis is comparable.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #639 on: October 01, 2023, 08:19:17 PM »

Great post.

Very noticeable that apart from a couple of claps towards the fans on Saturday, Unail did what he always does and headed straight down the tunnel. No time for the limelight and making a fuss.

Online Dave

« Reply #640 on: October 01, 2023, 08:21:30 PM »
Understandable Liverpool was first game, given the controversy and the late goal.

I thought the same. Thought our game should have been third with Luton beating Everton second, but Wolves inflicting Citeh's first defeat of the season was also a big result. Really not that bothered about our place in the running order if the length of highlights and analysis is comparable.

Same. Spurs - Liverpool was the obvious first pick. It would have been daft to choose anything else.

Wolves, us and Luton were in with a shout to be next. I'd probably have done it in the same order had I been producing, with Wolves ahead of us on account of it not being on TV.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #641 on: October 01, 2023, 08:40:15 PM »

Same. Spurs - Liverpool was the obvious first pick. It would have been daft to choose anything else.

Wolves, us and Luton were in with a shout to be next. I'd probably have done it in the same order had I been producing, with Wolves ahead of us on account of it not being on TV.

Although that hasn't stopped them before. They showed the Blades - Newcastle game early on even though it had "just been on TV" the other week.

Online Dave

« Reply #642 on: October 01, 2023, 08:51:13 PM »

Although that hasn't stopped them before. They showed the Blades - Newcastle game early on even though it had "just been on TV" the other week.

They showed us "early on" yesterday. Just not first or second. It's not an exact science - there are loads of factors that go into it. If we'd been ahead of Wolves, that would have been understandable. If they'd done Luton ahead of us, so would that.

Put it this way, if it had finished Wolves 1-2 Man City, that game would probably have been fifth in the running order. But it wasn't.

Offline AV84

« Reply #643 on: October 01, 2023, 09:43:15 PM »
Not MOTD but I notice NBC sports have put up several videos on YouTube since yesterday with Villa in the title. One of them they only talk about us very briefly at the start, but they've made the question the title of the video. We're suddenly becoming click bait worthy!

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #644 on: October 01, 2023, 11:25:51 PM »
Last on MOTD2 then . They really don't like us .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal