collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 169689 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: MOTD
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »
Last night a lot probably watched for the novelty factor. The whole point of MoTD is the format which includes the punditry, commentary etc. Anyone wanting to watch just for the main incidents can do that hours earlier online or on Sky if they have it.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2023, 04:59:41 PM »
I feel like we're living in a South Park episode.

Which episode?

Can't wait til South Park do Happy Valley.

Offline Colin B

« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2023, 05:38:13 PM »
I just want to ask MarkBeeee what his source is for the figures he mentions in his post 275?
Do you have the numbers for people accepted as well as the number pf applications?
Also I don't understand the 2.2 million for Germany reference? What is that figure for?

Thank you

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2023, 05:57:55 PM »
In the end I watched Godfather part 3, instead.

I have to disagree, you should have watched Sully instead.

Saw it last week 🙂

Fair enough, need to rewatch it myself as it must be over 25 years since I last saw it. I seem to recall that it wasn't as good as I & II (obviously) but not as bad as it was made out to be when it was released.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #364 on: March 12, 2023, 06:07:17 PM »
F**k the BBC
F**k the snowflake right wing sulkers

And

F**k Lineker. He’s had too much of ‘our’ money for a long time.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #365 on: March 12, 2023, 06:13:00 PM »

Saw it last week 🙂

Fair enough, need to rewatch it myself as it must be over 25 years since I last saw it. I seem to recall that it wasn't as good as I & II (obviously) but not as bad as it was made out to be when it was released.
It had that one great like that Silvio often impersonated in the Sopranos, art imitating art and all that and Andy Garcia was good, otherwise i thought Godfather III was a let down in comparison to the first two masterpieces.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #366 on: March 12, 2023, 06:24:37 PM »

Saw it last week 🙂

I seem to recall that it wasn't as good as I & II (obviously) but not as bad as it was made out to be when it was released.

That’s about right.

I watched it first as a teenager in the cinema when I was about 14 and hadn’t seen the other two films at the time. I hadn’t got a fucking clue what was going on :-)
Watched all since many times and also read the book which is related to the first two films. The book and the first two films are superb, De Niro as a young Vito in particular.

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #367 on: March 12, 2023, 06:40:50 PM »
I just want to ask MarkBeeee what his source is for the figures he mentions in his post 275?
Do you have the numbers for people accepted as well as the number pf applications?
Also I don't understand the 2.2 million for Germany reference? What is that figure for?

Thank you

No probs Colin. Those stats are from the United Nations based on some Googling. They should have all the details you need. Just out and about otherwise I’d have a look for you.

In the year ending September 2021, Germany received the highest number of asylum applicants (127,730) in the EU+, followed by France (96,510). When compared with the EU+ for the same period, the UK received the 4th largest number of applicants (44, 190 – including main applicants and dependents).

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/asylum-in-the-uk.html

36% are hosted in five countries.

Turkey   3.7 million
Colombia   2.5 million
Germany   2.2 million
Pakistan   1.5 million
Uganda   1.5 million

https://www.unhcr.org/refugee-statistics/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:48:29 PM by markeeeebeeee2005 »

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #368 on: March 12, 2023, 06:46:00 PM »

Saw it last week 🙂

I seem to recall that it wasn't as good as I & II (obviously) but not as bad as it was made out to be when it was released.

That’s about right.

I watched it first as a teenager in the cinema when I was about 14 and hadn’t seen the other two films at the time. I hadn’t got a fucking clue what was going on :-)
Watched all since many times and also read the book which is related to the first two films. The book and the first two films are superb, De Niro as a young Vito in particular.

It would have been almost impossible for it to live up to the first two movies but sounds like it's worth watching it again. If you first saw it as a teenager you were probably as enamoured with Sofia Coppola as I was. :)

Agree the book is also very good, at least I thought so when I read it in the mid-80s.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #369 on: March 12, 2023, 07:12:20 PM »

Saw it last week 🙂

That’s about right.

I watched all 3 on consecutive days, having not even heard of them when I watched the first one.  Anyway, my impression was much the same, the first 2 were excellent, the third was fine - maybe not as good as the first 2, but pretty good still.  I enjoyed all of them.

Online Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #370 on: March 12, 2023, 08:12:27 PM »
OK  sorry I dared to have an opinion.

I'll know better next time

Hookey old lad, if you can't see that this position puts you and Lineker in exactly the same - small? - boat then you should return your ironymeter to Alaniss Morrisette asap.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #371 on: March 12, 2023, 08:41:41 PM »
https://apple.news/AOvLALGjLQK6CLa-8A0MhFg

Tim Davie and Gary Lineker have reached an agreement for Lineker’s return next week.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #372 on: March 12, 2023, 08:55:04 PM »
https://apple.news/AOvLALGjLQK6CLa-8A0MhFg

Tim Davie and Gary Lineker have reached an agreement for Lineker’s return next week.

If Lineker had gone Davie wouldn't have been far behind.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 09:01:56 PM by hilts_coolerking »

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #373 on: March 13, 2023, 12:05:23 AM »

Saw it last week 🙂

That’s about right.

It would have been almost impossible for it to live up to the first two movies but sounds like it's worth watching it again. If you first saw it as a teenager you were probably as enamoured with Sofia Coppola as I was. :)

Agree the book is also very good, at least I thought so when I read it in the mid-80s.

Part 3 is nowhere near as bad as is made out, but yeah, when you compare a decent film to two classics it's never going to match up.

Andy Garcia was very good, I thought, but his relationship with Michael was underdeveloped, and unfortunately Sofia Coppola was miscast. There was no chemistry between her or any of the other characters.

As much as I love Pacino, he was also well on the way from the genius of Parts I & II, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico etc to the shouty incarnation featured in Rob Brydon's impressions.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #374 on: March 13, 2023, 01:26:52 AM »
I'm sorry but I'm not f**king happy about my favourite MOTD thread being turned in to the film review section. Do you think you're all Mark bastard Kermode? Every time I go on a thread nowadays people always end up harping on about how good the Godfather is, it's f**king tiring ;).

I think I'm in about the 0.01% of people who isn't bothered about the Godfather. Watched it once and just thought 'it was alright... wouldn't watch it again'. Just for a bit of that balance we all yearn for.

I genuinely hate pun fests though, they are a scourge on this forum and anyone participating should face lengthy bans. Bloody intolerant lefties, ay.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal