collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: MOTD  (Read 150071 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: MOTD
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
I just wish BBC Sport come clean and admit that half the MOTD commentaries are recorded in a Salford studio after the tape has been edited.

"City still looking an equalizer...  and there it is!"
"Jose Bloggeski has scored on his debut in both Serie A and La Liga... and now he can add the Premier League to that list!"
Etc.

I thought Jose Bloggeski was the character Alexei Sayle played in the young ones.  ;)

Speaking of Alexei, series 3 of his Imaginary Sandwich Bar is a quality listen through BBC Sounds.

I persuaded my Mum to accompany me to see Alexei Sayle in Birmingham around 1984 when I was thirteen. I was pissing myself laughing all through. My mum laughed once at a joke about Mickey Mouse having a Ronald Reagan wristwatch.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »
I absolutely loathe commentating, it’s such utter drivel.  Stat after meaningless stat that has no relevance to the actual outcome of the match, getting overly excited as if everything they see is amazing and has never happened before, and very little actual knowledge imparted of what’s happening in the game aside from what the viewer can actually see himself.

If a game is on the radio I want a commentator to describe what’s happening in play, if I can see what’s happening on TV then I want a commentator to use his superior footballing knowledge to point out things that may not be immediately obvious, adding value.  Not just stupid stats and telling now and then who just passed the ball when I’ve just seen who it was myself.

You should get together with my old man and have a good rant together. His opinions on football commentators and particularly football statistics are very much like yours. Alhough I should warn you he is a nose.

I remember my dad having a big rant about a commentator before getting up (those were the days) and turning the sound all the way down.  We continued watching for about five minutes before he got back up and switched it back on without a word.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2019, 06:49:24 PM »
To be fair to my old man a lifetime of supporting Small Heath and also England in the football and cricket would mean statistics on those subjects would not be pleasant reading/hearing.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:19 PM »
Alexi Sayle is a right crank.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
If you're a football fan there's no better programme, have been watching it since it first came on our screens in 1964 and would never miss it.

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2019, 04:37:44 PM »
I didn’t watch it the entire time we were in the Championship.  It would have been a bit like watching your ex.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
Same here. There was too much of a, ‘Look what you could have won’ poignancy about it; especially last season.
That said, this season i’m really enjoying it again- when we don’t lose, that is!

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2019, 06:13:06 PM »
Yeah, I tend not to if we’ve lost too.

I do think it would be a better show if they could pick the most entertaining matches regardless of division to show instead of assuming that a boring goalless draw is worth anyone’s time just because it’s in the Premier League.

If a match is shit, don’t show it, show more of the better ones or spend more time on analysis.  These days the fans can see the highlights of anything missed online if they really want to.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »
I just wish BBC Sport come clean and admit that half the MOTD commentaries are recorded in a Salford studio after the tape has been edited.

"City still looking an equalizer...  and there it is!"
"Jose Bloggeski has scored on his debut in both Serie A and La Liga... and now he can add the Premier League to that list!"
Etc.

I believe it was said years back comms at the game are given chance to re-do bits of commentary after the game if they weren't happy with how they described a goal at the time.

Guess some commentators you can actually hear the difference, get the feeling Jonathan Pearce is one who likes to re-do the odd goal narration while always feels like Guy Mowbray is usually good at knowing when a big incident is about to occur.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2019, 08:13:20 PM »
Was once the flagship of all football programs- still good but the likes of jenas, Murphy, Neville drag it down a few notches.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2019, 08:26:02 PM »
Was once the flagship of all football programs- still good but the likes of jenas, Murphy, Neville drag it down a few notches.

I quite like Jenas. As for Murphy he is refreshingly honest at times but always leans heavily towards the negative point of view. Shearer is pretty negative too. Considering Neville has had a reasonably decent coaching career since retiring he doesn't come across as a particularly good pundit. Tim Cahill is pretty good.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »
I do know that if commentators criticize a player during the commentary of a game they can often get a call from the players agent showing their displeasure and future possible interviews curtailed.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
Unconfirmed rumours that due to VAR incidents in the games at Villa, Leicester, Spurs and Wolves tonights MOTD is a three hour VAR special.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
They’re renaming it VAR of the Day aren’t they?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 08:44:52 PM »
I do know that if commentators criticize a player during the commentary of a game they can often get a call from the players agent showing their displeasure and future possible interviews curtailed.

Ugh. Really? Akin to record labels pulling paid adverts for a new album from one of their artists if the publication don't give said album a glowing review.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal