collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread  (Read 169179 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread
« Reply #1170 on: January 14, 2022, 07:38:04 PM »
Very disappointed to see that 'Pop' Welch has left Bears to take up a position at Hampshire.

Nothing sinister apparently just fancied a new challenge.

Get AD back in! Agree though, why has Welch gone with the team on the cusp of greater things?

He wanted a new challenge

Offline KNVillan

• GM : 11,08,2024
« Reply #1171 on: January 31, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »
Tim Bresnan announces his retirement

https://edgbaston.com/news/tim-bresnan-announces-retirement/

Warwickshire County Cricket Club and former England all-rounder Tim Bresnan has announced his retirement from the professional game with immediate effect.

Bresnan will finish his 20-year playing career on a high after helping the Bears secure their eighth County Championship title in 2021.

The 36-year-old received his Warwickshire Cap in April, becoming a pivotal part of the team through key contributions with bat and ball.

Tim Bresnan said: “This has been an incredibly tough decision, but after returning to winter training I feel that this is the right time. I have continued to work hard throughout the off-season to prepare for my 21st professional year, but deep down I feel I can’t reach the high standards that I set myself and my teammates. The hunger and enthusiasm that I have for the game I love will never leave me, but whilst my head is willing to tackle the 2022 season, my body is not.

“I will always look back at my career with immense pride and it’s been an absolute honour to represent Warwickshire, my home county and country. Growing up I never would have believed how lucky I was to play with and against some of the finest cricketers to grace the game.

“These discussions are never easy, but I want to thank Farby, Stuart and the whole team for their support and understanding. When I signed my two-year deal, I was tasked to not only help a young side progress on the field, but off it as well. On reflection, I’m proud of everything we have achieved as a team, and that final day against Somerset will live with me for the rest of my life. I firmly believe this group of players have the potential to build on their success and go from strength to strength.

“To everyone at Edgbaston thank you for supporting me and my family through one of the most exciting periods of my career. From the first moment I arrived at Warwickshire it felt like home and its Members and supporters will always be close to my heart. The phrase ‘Once a Bear Always a Bear’ holds true.

“I’ve been incredibly fortunate to represent England and Yorkshire and those memories will never leave me. The opportunity to wear the Three Lions is something that should never be taken for granted and I’m proud to have played a very small part in our country’s storied history.

“There are too many people I need to thank, but I hope they know that their guidance and support have been integral to helping me throughout my career. To anyone who has ever helped me, thank you.

“Finally, I can’t finish without thanking my amazing wife, Hannah, my wonderful children, Max, Ozzy and Etta, my unwaveringly supportive friends and all my family. I love you all and I couldn’t have done it without you.

“I’m excited for my next chapter and am determined to throw everything into it, like I did on the cricket field for so many years.”

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #1172 on: February 23, 2022, 08:09:19 PM »
Ex Pear Matt Mason is the Bears new bowling coach, a good appointment I think. With Trotty back full time there’s a pretty solid look to the coaching team.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60402179

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1173 on: March 05, 2022, 10:02:39 PM »
Calling Gareth to the thread.  What sort of chance do we (Worcestershire) stand this season.  No Mitchell, but bringing in Azhar Ali and Ed Pollock?  What do you think of our chances?

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1174 on: March 05, 2022, 11:09:35 PM »
Calling Gareth to the thread.  What sort of chance do we (Worcestershire) stand this season.  No Mitchell, but bringing in Azhar Ali and Ed Pollock?  What do you think of our chances?

Not sure Steve.  Would hope competing in Championship cricket??

Batting wise assuming we don’t see anything of Mo in red ball you’d assume 4 of the top 6 will be Libby / Azhar / Haynes & Dolly….who fills the other two batting slots between Fell / Dell / Roderick / Pollock / Cornall needs to actually take that chance….wouldn’t surprise me to see Barnard end up batting 5 or 6. 

Pace bowling you’d assume that Leach / Pennington & Barnard play when fit but need Tongue & Brown properly fit this year & Finch to step it up a notch to push the starters….the new boy Gibbon as a left arm pace bowler would be v useful if he comes good.

Baker was the breakthrough player last summer so hope he keeps moving on, Banton as well looked a decent prospect. 

Would be nice to get another blast finals day!

Also need to see how the squad gets decimated by the stupid pointless waste of time competition

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1175 on: March 06, 2022, 07:59:29 PM »
I think you're right.  Unless Mo plays any red ball cricket, which is unlikely, we have a couple of big gaps in the batting line up. Might be a year too early for a couple of the bowlers to come good but hopefully, they continue to progress in the hope that they are ready for next season and they grow together.

Online Gareth

« Reply #1176 on: March 07, 2022, 08:30:39 PM »
Yep, if the bowlers stay fit to be rotated I’m optimistic we’ll do ok in red ball but one of more of the squad batsmen have to step up or they’ll find themselves released at the end of the summer.  Can’t see Mo playing anything other than blast, particularly if England keep him in the set up

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1177 on: March 30, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
See Paul Stirling has signed for the Bears for the Vitality Blast.  Farbrace saying that he will open with Alex Davies, which should give us a much needed bit of power at the top of the order.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1178 on: March 30, 2022, 03:15:34 AM »
I hope they've done their sums, because he'll cost us a fortune at the canteen.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #1179 on: March 31, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60930131

New signing for Bears as overseas player.

Offline Villan For Life

« Reply #1180 on: April 06, 2022, 10:00:53 PM »
The new domestic season starts tomorrow, I think that the Bears are handily placed in all competitions.

It will be strange to see Ian Bell working elsewhere and Sidebottom will be joining him for a few weeks but on the whole I’m optimistic about our chances.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #1181 on: April 07, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
Absolutely freezing down Edgbaston, i was gonna see it out to lunch but fcuk it left, other attractions to tempt meDay 1 of Aintree & the Masters.
So home to watch Warwickshire v Surrey World Stars on You Tube.
Ryan Patel really motoring 50 off 51
68/0
Burns 12 Patel 56

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1182 on: April 07, 2022, 12:34:49 PM »
An hour and a half in and my phone hasn't dinged a wicket alert.... checked score hoping that we were batting. ☹️

Online Gareth

« Reply #1183 on: April 07, 2022, 12:59:33 PM »
Worcester won the toss and batting - haven’t lost a wicket either yet (it’s rained constantly since the toss)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1184 on: April 07, 2022, 02:56:10 PM »
Does anything sum Rory Burns up better than him having a great session as part of a big opening stand only to throw his wicket away with a tame flick at the last ball before lunch? This is exactly why he's struggled to embed himself with England.

A heavy spell of rain as delayed the restart but players should be back out at 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal