collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Smallest away following with the villa - competitive first team game  (Read 13821 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: Smallest away following with the villa - competitive first team game
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
It wasn't a competitive game but I was at Witney Town when BFR gave a load of debuts to his summer signings in 1991. There were no stands so everyone (and there weren't many of us) were just stood around the touchline. I think BFR had started his coaching experience at Witney whilst still playing at nearby Oxford. I can't remember the score but we won by a fair number of goals, one of them scored by Ivo Stas which was allowed despite going through the unstable side netting and creeping into the goal. The subs were just standing around the touchline and I ended up having a chat with Kevin Richardson during the game.

I was there. I remember the side netting goal but couldn't remember the game. I can die happy now!

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2019, 11:25:15 AM »
Leeds away in I think 91-92, a terrible 0-0 draw from recollection and a following of about 400-500.

Away at Boro in 04-05 lost 3-0 I’d say there were less than 700-800 there.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »
It wasn't a competitive game but I was at Witney Town when BFR gave a load of debuts to his summer signings in 1991. There were no stands so everyone (and there weren't many of us) were just stood around the touchline. I think BFR had started his coaching experience at Witney whilst still playing at nearby Oxford. I can't remember the score but we won by a fair number of goals, one of them scored by Ivo Stas which was allowed despite going through the unstable side netting and creeping into the goal. The subs were just standing around the touchline and I ended up having a chat with Kevin Richardson during the game.

I was there. I remember the side netting goal but couldn't remember the game. I can die happy now!

I think we won 6-0.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2019, 04:50:43 PM »
Leeds away in I think 91-92, a terrible 0-0 draw from recollection and a following of about 400-500.

I remember us losing heavily away to Leeds in the early nineties (in the League Cup I think) and later that night the Gulf War kicked off.

Offline Charlie8182

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2019, 07:56:18 PM »

I remember us losing heavily away to Leeds in the early nineties (in the League Cup I think) and later that night the Gulf War kicked off.

I went to that game at Leeds, 4-1 and yes the gulf war started when our coach arrived back in Brum at about midnight, our following wasn’t bad though as it was the League Cup quarter final.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

I can recall going to that. Is that when the away fans were still on the Lowfields Road side of the ground with the East Stand being built above them?  I can remember a dire game but I don't remember the away following being particularly low.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »

I can recall going to that. Is that when the away fans were still on the Lowfields Road side of the ground with the East Stand being built above them?  I can remember a dire game but I don't remember the away following being particularly low.

That was Dean Saunders’ debut a year or 2 later? I went up for that, nil-nil, Sunday afternoon. Thought we had a decent following

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2019, 12:00:51 PM »
I went to Luton when the away fans ban was in force (1992?). There seemed to be a few of us dotted around the ground that day.

I think 1992 was when Bosnich made his debut at Luton and we lost 2-0 in what I think was our last away game of the season. Due to the away ban it was the first time I had visited Kenilworth Road so 1991-1992 was possibly the first year after the away fan ban ended.

I was at that game in the home end. My brother and I asked if we could be moved to the away end and they allowed us. Terrible, meaningless game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »

That was Dean Saunders’ debut a year or 2 later? I went up for that, nil-nil, Sunday afternoon. Thought we had a decent following

We were in the Lowfields stand for Deano's debut early in the 1992-1993 season. Garry Parker scored for us in the first half, Deano put the ball in the net at some point but it was disallowed and Steve Hodge got a late equaliser for Leeds.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:42:08 PM by Damo70 »

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
Remember going to a league cup game away to cambridge on a Wednesday night with about 400/500 villa fans.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2019, 12:03:52 AM »
Remember going to a league cup game away to cambridge on a Wednesday night with about 400/500 villa fans.

Was that the year we won the league and avoided having to play too many fixtures by failing to qualify for Europe the previous season and going out of both domestic cups early doors to Cambridge and Ipswich?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »

Was that the year we won the league and avoided having to play too many fixtures by failing to qualify for Europe the previous season and going out of both domestic cups early doors to Cambridge and Ipswich?

Hate to say it but compared to the likes of West Ham /Chelsea/Middlesborough/Newcastle and Leeds in the day 400/500 was a massive turnout.

Would say 1st replay v Palace in the league cup smallest turnout for a proper cup tie.  Not that many more at Goodison in 78 either.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
Highbury Feb 78.Must have been all of 50 of us on the Clock End. Had to buy a Malcolm Macdonald badge to put on my crombie to blend in on the side terrace! Compounded by us winning.When the goal went in I had to feign annoyance.Went nuts after.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
Highbury Feb 78.Must have been all of 50 of us on the Clock End. Had to buy a Malcolm Macdonald badge to put on my crombie to blend in on the side terrace! Compounded by us winning.When the goal went in I had to feign annoyance.Went nuts after.

Even as a  17 year old I was there bladdered after a day on the Guinness with Cockney Nick in his manor at Barnet - the scruffy little greezer . (of Dave/Nick/Clive fame)   They were supposed to be looking out for me as well.  Think there would  have been more than 50.  A lot would have bought seat tickets after the aggravation at the 0-0 game the season before.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal