collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36643 times)

Offline Three Spires Villa

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »
DS not blameless today, but if we had avoided a couple of individual errors for their first two goals and had a more favourable pen decision at the end, it’s a different story.
Exactly. Pant wetters please take note. All this talk of game management and formations ignores this. Engles hasn't put a foot wrong all season but 2 goals came from his poor distribution and decision making and the other from a piss poor header from Mings. Couple all that with the ref and var missing a blatant penalty and the result could've been so so different. Those ripping into Dean Smith at this early stage are being a bit harsh imo. The fickle lable will be coming our way again soon.

That’s fine, but the last two games v 10 men have given us 1 point, errors v Bournemouth and whatever else you want you want to throw in all equal the same points as we have now. We have thrown away points, not bad luck, us Villa players and management. And no I don’t want him sacked and if you call me fickle because we have thrown away points, that’s ok. I really hope we don’t need those points at the end of the season.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »
DS not blameless today, but if we had avoided a couple of individual errors for their first two goals and had a more favourable pen decision at the end, it’s a different story.
Exactly. Pant wetters please take note. All this talk of game management and formations ignores this. Engles hasn't put a foot wrong all season but 2 goals came from his poor distribution and decision making and the other from a piss poor header from Mings. Couple all that with the ref and var missing a blatant penalty and the result could've been so so different. Those ripping into Dean Smith at this early stage are being a bit harsh imo. The fickle lable will be coming our way again soon.

I think it is collective responsibility though. I’m sure Dean didn’t say at half time “give it ten minutes then drop 20 yards deeper and start being sloppy with the ball” but given it happened you would then hope he does something to rectify it.

And yes, if you look at the goals in isolation, you can put them down to poor individual mistakes/decisions, but I reckon that is far more likely to happen when you are under pretty constant pressure from the opposition.

I think it’s acceptable to expect the players and coaching team between them to manage the favourable situation they had got themselves into better than they did.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »
I've only just seen the penalty shout and while we may not have deserved it, it's fucking unbelievable it wasn't given by the ref let alone the VAR clown.  They really are making a huge fucking mess of VAR.  Cardiff were on the wrong end of a number of very bad decisions last season and we seem to be the new whipping boys.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2019, 11:25:29 PM »
I'm hearing from a reliable source certain players are getting a little frustrated with DS, one being Mcginn and his post match interview would confirm this.

Somehthing don't feel right

I’d be staggered if that was the case.

Where can I find the McGinn interview please?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »
His comment about McGinn was a bit odd.

(Paraphrasing)

Interviewer: John McGinn says the team needs to be more streetwise
Smith: I think he's quite streetwise enough.

Eh? What does that mean? Sounds like something my dad would say when I was in trouble.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
McGinn "That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2019, 11:30:13 PM »
Just seen the blatant pen we were not given today Yet another referee who seems to have something against Aston Villa it seems .Jonathan Moss was the referee against Spurs in the League Cup when Helenius had his shorts pulled down by a spurs defender and Moss somehow played on. He was also the referee when we lost to Arsenal in the Cup final Ok i know we were awful that day but near the end of the game there was at least one blatant pen he never gave us

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »
The issues are there for all to see. If we can’t fix them then we’ll continue to get shafted, it’s not rocket science really. 

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »
McGinn "That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

Blimey !!

Offline Luke8

« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2019, 11:37:52 PM »
Thanks, both.

I’m not sure there is too much in that to say he is frustrated with Smith - more the result and performance. It’s a fairly honest assessment and, as mentioned above, I think there has to be a collective responsibility from both players and management staff.

That streetwise comment is odd though.

Still, I never think that too much should be read into managers or players post match comments. It is immediately after an event they have invested a lot of mental and physical effort into - responses are naturally going to be condition by the result and there has been no real time to analyse the game properly.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
All I'll say is I know someone who works indirectly for the club and thing's have apparently been a little odd since Palace.

And he's not known for bullshiting! (not even a football fan, so has no real interest in what goes on)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:47:11 PM by Flin5tone »

« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2019, 11:47:20 PM »
All I'll say is I know someone who works indirectly for the club and thing's have apparently been a little odd since Palace.

And he not known for bullshiting!

Have to wait and see

Offline steamer

« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:51 PM »
probably half the managers in the league are under threat.
we all want Dean to succeed, but I can not imagine the owners want us back in the championship.
Early days but we need to wake up, and tactically improve to the situation in front of us game by game.
that is down to the manager.   

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2019, 01:07:28 AM »

And he's not known for bullshiting! (not even a football fan, so has no real interest in what goes on)

Oh here we fucking go.

*kisses teeth*

Not a football fan, yet knows intimate goings on at VP and how those things are 'a little odd'.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2019, 01:09:14 AM »
I know a couple of people who don't like football and they told me Jack Grealish murdered a badger.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal