collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 04:13:25 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:12:36 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 04:12:17 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 04:11:57 PM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Paul.S
[Today at 04:11:41 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dogtanian
[Today at 04:11:26 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Drummond
[Today at 04:10:30 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Woofles The Wonder Dog
[Today at 04:09:24 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 43719 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2023, 09:32:04 PM »
I think their intentions are correct, but I can see more neck injuries to tacklers due to poor technique

Online lovejoy

« Reply #286 on: January 23, 2023, 04:06:37 PM »
Well just back from a weekend away in Bordeaux, coupled with an away win. What is not to like!

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2023, 06:25:02 PM »
Interesting seeing some of the Rugby Tonight discussion on the proposed new tackle laws (including a contribution from my fellow graduate of Whitecross Comprehensive, Wayne Barnes).

One if the main aims is to get the tackler’s head away from the ball-carrier’s head.

However, this does make the tackler’s head more likely to contact the ball-carrier’s knee

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #288 on: January 29, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »
Interesting seeing some of the Rugby Tonight discussion on the proposed new tackle laws (including a contribution from my fellow graduate of Whitecross Comprehensive, Wayne Barnes).

One if the main aims is to get the tackler’s head away from the ball-carrier’s head.

However, this does make the tackler’s head more likely to contact the ball-carrier’s knee

The regional unions (I've heard this direct from a Greater Birmingham rep) have been told that right now the interpretation of th elaw and the intent from the RFU aren't lined up, they see the waist as the belly button and below rather than hips as it's been seen. That's less of a problem but it still removes the option to target the ball in the tackle and is still hard to do if you get stepped (at community level).

From the same meeting apparently there was a lot of anger across the entire country that this will drive people away from the game and destroy a lot of smaller clubs, which I think is fair from what I've seen in various chat groups, etc.

I'll be amazed if they don't row back further and end up agreeing with a chest/armpit height and some review on how much the carrier can dip into contact. That way choke tackles, tackling the ball and pinning the arms to stop offloads are all still legal and you avoid the massive spike to knee/hip to head injuries that will come if this goes through as is. It also fulfils the criteria for the change of reducing head-on-head impacts.

Offline nigel

« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2023, 11:48:53 AM »
Worcester Warriors have been bought.
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/23293523.worcester-warriors-next-atlas-rfu-confirm-stance/

To be honest I don’t know much about this, whether good or bad

Online paul_e

« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »
Worcester Warriors have been bought.
https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/23293523.worcester-warriors-next-atlas-rfu-confirm-stance/

To be honest I don’t know much about this, whether good or bad

I think it's great news that both Wasps and Worcester are on their way back but I do have concerns over where they're going to slot in. Both of them have no players or staff so there's going to be a big challenge for them to get that in place but that's not even the primary concern, with the RFU financial assurances being the big hurdle, the deadline of just over a week to gain RFU approval is very tight.

I think Wasps will be fine and will be announced as joining the championship and confirm that they plan to initially play at Solihull Moors (a short term fix that will work but would stop them from being promoted under the same rules that blocked Ealing and Doncaster). I suspect a year to rebuild and then a 2nd to try to push for promotion will be the aim, which gives them time to work out a long-term home.

Worcester are on the opposite side of the problem. They have all the facilities but are going to struggle with the financial burden that comes with it. The solution for the new owners is to sell off some of the property to both get a cash injection and reduces overheads but the RFU are currently blocking that. If there's no reconciliation I wouldn't be surprised to see Worcester apply for the Celtic league (whatever it's called now) but that creates a lot of other problems.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #291 on: February 09, 2023, 02:56:34 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475

Looks like Worcester Warriors is dead…Wasps moving to Sixways and new Worcester to be Sixways Rugby partnering with Stourbridge.

Seems new owners are as good as the old ones :-(

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #292 on: February 09, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475

Looks like Worcester Warriors is dead…Wasps moving to Sixways and new Worcester to be Sixways Rugby partnering with Stourbridge.

Seems new owners are as good as the old ones :-(
I bet that means a housing development on Stourbridge Rugby then

Online Gareth

« Reply #293 on: February 09, 2023, 06:01:01 PM »
I don’t think so, the suggestion seems to be the first team play at Sixways only…hopefully this all gets blocked but suggest it won’t, especially if it gives a home to Wasps who the RFU & Prem Rugby want around

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #294 on: February 09, 2023, 09:27:30 PM »
Sixways seem to be distancing themselves from the Wasps link.

I don’t think that Stourbridge have said anything about leaving their ground, although the Sixways owner said that’s the plan.

Looks like the Sixways owners are buying themselves a spot in the fourth (maybe fifth if Stourbridge get relegated) tier, rather than starting at the bottom.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #295 on: February 15, 2023, 08:17:15 AM »
Worcester can fuck off. We had a meeting on Friday but the presentation left a lot to be desired. The first team are up for it as they get better facilities and paid more. The rest of us don't.

I coach the U8's at Stourbridge. Essentially they want to use us as a springboard not to start at the bottom. The clubhouse will go down the tubes if the firsts are playing 25 miles away and our fans won't drive down there to watch it. At the minute there is lots of carping about the investment it will bring but we don't need the money and it is short term thinking.

We have circa 30 kids in every age group but can't find players? Bollocks. We have too many teams in fact. We started up in 1876 and didn't do so to be Worcester's puppet. Keep in mind the first team are going to relegated (old gits like me have offered to help out to finish the season) but that  puts us one division above Worcester RFC. Why not partner with them? Stourbridge members will vote this down.

As for the tackling laws they seem farcical. I have to do a day's course on this Sunday week but my kids hit proper contact for the first time next season. We will of course be spending a lot of time on tackle technique in training but with the best will in the world aiming at the legs when someone is running straight at you will lead to injuries. The notion you ask an 8 year old ball carrier to step is daft. My lad will just run over what is in front of him for example. I could go on for days about this crap but probably ought to do some work!

Will keep you posted re Stourbridge.

Online Gareth

« Reply #296 on: February 15, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »
Good luck to Stourbridge….hope they stand their ground and likewise all other local clubs do….these two cowboys feel as dodgy as the last two ****s and the short term highlight for a few Stourbridge first teamers could quickly see everything go bust again.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #297 on: February 15, 2023, 10:24:58 PM »
As a fairweather Worcester fan, I hope the Stourbridge thing falls through. Stourbridge are a club in their own right with decent facilities and they're just being used. As for Warriors...well, I'm sure the Sixways retail park will be a roaring success.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2023, 10:05:50 PM »
Looks like Wasps will be playing at Sixways next season.

Online paul_e

« Reply #299 on: February 23, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
Good on Exeter - https://twitter.com/ExeterChiefs/status/1628327213480247296?s=20

Obviously it remains to be seen how much the reductions will be but at least they're moving things in the right way to support their fans, maybe football clubs can learn something from them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal