collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42740 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #300 on: February 23, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »
Good on Exeter - https://twitter.com/ExeterChiefs/status/1628327213480247296?s=20

Obviously it remains to be seen how much the reductions will be but at least they're moving things in the right way to support their fans, maybe football clubs can learn something from them.

£900 for a season in West Stand Centre which are the best seats in the house at Sandy Park, a match day ticket there is £80 a game, a season ticket buys you 15 games. That's a 20% reduction on last season so fair play to Exeter.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
Only posting on here to bump the fact that today has been an oddly good day for me, Villa Win, Bears in control and Saints see off Sarries to keep themselves in the mix for the playoffs.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2023, 11:25:09 AM »
What do we think of Woodburn’s sending off for Chiefs v Tigers on Sunday? Games gone soft if you can’t make a tackle there.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2023, 12:30:29 PM »
2 things:

1. It says more about Dickson as a ref than it does about the laws, etc. He seems to make decisions like this far too often and, if I'm being particularly honest it always seems convenient that Quins generally benefit when he does it.
2. The law he used to justify the decision was applied in a way that I've never seen before and, I suspect, a way that all refs will be warned away from before long.

For more context the law he used is in place to stop defenders falling on top of a tackle/ruck and making it impossible for there to be a fair contest.

The biggest problem for me though is the lack of understanding that the laws contain an 'in the act of scoring a try' clause (and a defending counter-clause) which should've been applied. For example diving over a tackle is illegal unless you are reaching for the line but to counter that if some does dive for the line you aren't considered to be tackling them in the air so you can make contact and try to push them into touch. The same should've applied here, whether his actions would've been seen as illegal anywhere else on the pitch is irrelevant when it's done to push someone out of play in the corner like he did.

tl;dr - it was a bullshit decision that adds to a list of very poor calls Dickson has made in the last few years.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2023, 08:51:18 PM »
Watching the game tonight and I don't think it'll be long before these artificial pitches get banned, far too many players wandering round (early in the second half) with skin missing from their knees and elbows.

On the game, Mitchell is exceptional, if he's not the starting 9 for the world cup then Borthwick needs to give his head a shake. Finn Smith has to be in the picture after the world cup as well, very good young 10.

Saints 5th try was special, not many teams can rip a team apart as efficiently as that.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2023, 05:04:29 PM »
Karl Dickson showing his incompetence again, missed Farrell being a foot out of play, just when sarries needed a bit of help to get back in control.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #306 on: May 18, 2023, 06:31:18 PM »
RFU have withdrawn their offer to Wasps of a place in the 2023-24 Championship season. Wasps will be placed at the bottom of the playing pyramid in English Rugby.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65634760

Offline paul_e

« Reply #307 on: May 18, 2023, 08:14:46 PM »
RFU have withdrawn their offer to Wasps of a place in the 2023-24 Championship season. Wasps will be placed at the bottom of the playing pyramid in English Rugby.

At a quick check I think this means they'll be in the same league as my club.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #308 on: May 18, 2023, 08:44:28 PM »
So much weird stuff in domestic rugby…the bit about the Wasps owner lending the new Worcester shysters mmm sorry owners £1m+ to complete the takeover and presumably grease the wheels to Wasps having Sixways…all feels grubby!

Can’t help but feel rfu and Prem Rugby were v happy to lose Worcester…Wasps was collateral damage and they will be v happy to lose Irish as well. 

Offline nigel

« Reply #309 on: May 18, 2023, 08:50:27 PM »

Who’s your club, mate.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #310 on: May 18, 2023, 08:56:57 PM »

Who’s your club, mate.

Erdington.

Offline nigel

« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2023, 09:41:26 PM »

Who’s your club, mate.

Erdington.

Ahh.
I’m Woodrush.
via Old Dix (early 80’s) B’ham City Officials (late 80’s) Old Griffs (91-99)

I don’t play these days. Used to play the odd vets game but had a chap die on the pitch while I was watching, he was 57 the same age as me at the time. I played one more game just to put any fears to bed the stopped. That was 6 years ago. I wanted to play on my 60th, but covid put a stop to that.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #312 on: June 04, 2023, 06:39:05 AM »
The first SEVEN pages of today's edition of L'Indépendant Catalan are dedicated to USAP, Perpignan's union club, who have been utter shite all season. They beat Grenoble (D2) n a play off to save their sorry skin and now it's all 'phenomenal', "W'em proud to be Catalan" ('"We don't speak it though")

We'll done but you'd think they'd won the Brennus Shield.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 06:41:26 AM by Bad English »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2023, 08:10:42 PM »
The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) says there are no plans "to invest in rugby outside of Ireland" amid links to London Irish.

London Irish filed for administration on Wednesday after being suspended from the Premiership.

It has been reported that the IRFU has been in exploratory discussions with the Rugby Football Union (RFU), English rugby's governing body, about investing in Irish to preserve the stricken club.

The RFU has been contacted for comment.

A IRFU spokesperson said: "The RFU has informally kept the IRFU updated on the situation at London Irish.

"Naturally the IRFU is saddened by what has happened at the club and hope that the club's difficulties can be resolved sometime in the future."

The IRFU has four teams in the United Rugby Championship, made up of the four provinces of Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht.

The provinces feed Ireland's national team, and any investment in London Irish could provide an additional pathway for Irish talent in academies to break into the senior game.

The RFU would have to approve any IRFU involvement in London Irish.

London Irish were suspended from the Premiership after missing a deadline to pay players and staff or complete a takeover.

Former Ireland head coach Declan Kidney is director of rugby at the club and ex-Ulster and Ireland coach Les Kiss is the current head coach.

There are also a number of Irish players at the club.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2023, 08:29:58 PM »
The RFU should just give London Irish’s spot to Ealing Trailfinders. The team could also take Irish’s place at Brentford’s ground (it’s just the other side of the M4).

However, this will all make too much sense to be acceptable to the RFU

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal