collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 42721 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #225 on: August 31, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »
Heard a bit more, I'd now expect them to announce going into administration very soon and for a takeover to be announced not long after. Again, I'm not getting anything direct (I know someone who knows a player in the 2nd team and through them a few back office staff) so I'm very much treating this as rumour, and a lot of it is already in the press, but from what I can make out the failure to pay wages today was the final hurdle to push everything through and it's now pretty out of the hands of the current owners. However there will still be some mess because of the way the club and land are owned. They expect a bunch of players to leave but that they will have agreements in place to start the season and will be able to field a team for the season, but will be very young and likely to be out of their depth.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #226 on: August 31, 2022, 03:37:24 PM »
Heard a bit more, I'd now expect them to announce going into administration very soon and for a takeover to be announced not long after. Again, I'm not getting anything direct (I know someone who knows a player in the 2nd team and through them a few back office staff) so I'm very much treating this as rumour, and a lot of it is already in the press, but from what I can make out the failure to pay wages today was the final hurdle to push everything through and it's now pretty out of the hands of the current owners. However there will still be some mess because of the way the club and land are owned. They expect a bunch of players to leave but that they will have agreements in place to start the season and will be able to field a team for the season, but will be very young and likely to be out of their depth.

The flippant bit being as opposed to most years being old and out of depth most weeks!

It’s always bad when administration occurs and bills etc are unpaid, particularly when you consider other non rugby businesses will be impacted & no doubt more job losses as a result.

If the good players (vdMerve / Sutherland etc) have had any sense the feelers will have been out already and deals in pipeline…that’s fine, where it is sad is that the club will likely lose a bunch of good younger players like Ollie Lawrence / Ted Hill / Fin Smith who were the future.

How the Premiership deal with it will be interesting too as they have already announced no relegation this season so they have to find a way to punish because I’m sure Worcs aren’t the only team on the edge, long been reported that Wasps are vulnerable….if they see a precedent without consequence it might encourage them the same way.

Hopefully if new owners come in they can retain Diamond.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #227 on: August 31, 2022, 03:50:40 PM »

The flippant bit being as opposed to most years being old and out of depth most weeks!

It’s always bad when administration occurs and bills etc are unpaid, particularly when you consider other non rugby businesses will be impacted & no doubt more job losses as a result.

If the good players (vdMerve / Sutherland etc) have had any sense the feelers will have been out already and deals in pipeline…that’s fine, where it is sad is that the club will likely lose a bunch of good younger players like Ollie Lawrence / Ted Hill / Fin Smith who were the future.

How the Premiership deal with it will be interesting too as they have already announced no relegation this season so they have to find a way to punish because I’m sure Worcs aren’t the only team on the edge, long been reported that Wasps are vulnerable….if they see a precedent without consequence it might encourage them the same way.

Hopefully if new owners come in they can retain Diamond.

Fairly strong rumours that Finn Smith has already agreed to move to Saints and Kyle Hatherell is moving to France but there are transfer fees coming in for both. That might explain the twitter rumours recently that the staff and players will be paid later today.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2022, 08:45:56 PM »
Incredible comeback by Glawster from 0-20 down at half time to win the game. Capped off with some epic defence when it looked certain that Wasps would drive over to win.

Yesterday, the Mighty Lyd scored a late try (by Scotland Rugby League international Joe McClean) to win the Forest of Dean derby at Drybrook.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:11 PM »
Looks like things are starting to come to a head regarding the finances of Wasps and Worcester.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2022, 04:59:32 PM »
Re Worcester things are certainly looking grim, the RFU have set a deadline for 5pm on Monday for the club to provide evidence they have the required insurance cover in place, the funds to meet the payroll and a meaningful plan to lift the club out of this crisis, failure to do this would mean suspension from all competitions.

I would imagine there is going to be a mass protest, at tomorrow's home match against Newcastle, which does go ahead.

Online Gareth

« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2022, 05:42:40 PM »
Doesn’t sound like there is going to be a positive resolution unless someone comes out of the wings at the last minute….Steve Diamond press conference today was pretty direct and pointed, if it does go down the admin route and someone takes over really hope Diamond is still at the helm.  Punishments from Prem Rugby have to be strong, relegation etc or I’m sure it won’t just be Worcester & Wasps taking that option.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:39 PM »
Worcester is really weird, the person who told me things were going to happen is absolutely certain tha a takeover is possible and there are people ready to step in, but it's just being stalled and he has no idea why.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »
Warriors won 39-5, which under the circumstances, is a superb effort from everyone.

Online Gareth

« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2022, 05:37:32 PM »
Is that person talking about the Jim O’Toole bid who says it’s ready to go once admin is declared-hoping for NSWE type bid coming from nowhere but suspect it might well get to that 5pm deadline with nothing happening.

Can’t fault the players today, certainly not downed tools

Offline paul_e

« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2022, 06:14:26 PM »
Is that person talking about the Jim O’Toole bid who says it’s ready to go once admin is declared-hoping for NSWE type bid coming from nowhere but suspect it might well get to that 5pm deadline with nothing happening.

I don't think so but I haven't spoken to him directly, it's a bit chinese whispers but my aunt and her family are friends with the family of one of the players whose on the fringes of the first team. The chain of messages I've seen are that the players have been told that a takeover will happen and shouldn't need them to go into administration but they were also told tyhat there'd be a major announcement a few weeks back and all that happened was some people got paid but nothing more siginificant.

Online Gareth

« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2022, 06:26:11 PM »

I don't think so but I haven't spoken to him directly, it's a bit chinese whispers but my aunt and her family are friends with the family of one of the players whose on the fringes of the first team. The chain of messages I've seen are that the players have been told that a takeover will happen and shouldn't need them to go into administration but they were also told tyhat there'd be a major announcement a few weeks back and all that happened was some people got paid but nothing more siginificant.

The tune of Diamond and some of the players has changed last week or so, openly criticising the two cowboy owners….think they are sick of lies and promises

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2022, 05:25:28 PM »
Worcester suspended by the RFU after failing to provide proof of insurance and funding.

Time for a Worcester/Wasps merger ?

Online Gareth

« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2022, 07:47:37 PM »
Worcester into administration

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
Worcester suspended by the RFU after failing to provide proof of insurance and funding.

Time for a Worcester/Wasps merger ?

They could merge part of each name into one, and call the combined team ‘Wasps’ or ‘Worcester.’

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal