collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Domestic and European Rugby Union  (Read 43932 times)

Online Flamingo Lane

Re: Domestic and European Rugby Union
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2022, 05:26:48 PM »
Have I understood this correctly then?  in rugby union, the team that finishes first in the Premiership do not necessarily become champions?  The champions could be the team that finishes in second, third or fourth place?
Yes, same in Rugby League as well. Keeps teams playing to the end of the league season knowing that they still have a chance at winning the Premiership,

It may well do that, but it's ridiculous.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2022, 05:32:54 PM »
Have I understood this correctly then?  in rugby union, the team that finishes first in the Premiership do not necessarily become champions?  The champions could be the team that finishes in second, third or fourth place?
Yes, same in Rugby League as well. Keeps teams playing to the end of the league season knowing that they still have a chance at winning the Premiership,

Isn't it in part due to the fact that internationals and domestic games can run simultaneously eg: six nations - so the strongest side can be weakest at certain points in the calendar ?

Online nordenvillain

« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2022, 05:38:15 PM »

Isn't it in part due to the fact that internationals and domestic games can run simultaneously eg: six nations - so the strongest side can be weakest at certain points in the calendar ?
Is it any more ridiculous than a team finishing 6th or 7th in football are able to win the play offs and get promotion \

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2022, 05:44:17 PM »
Play-offs for promotion between teams finishing 3rd-7th are one thing, but play offs to decide who are champions is absurd.  Mind you, I can kind of get some of what LSVilla just said (about players missing league games for internationals).

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2022, 05:49:19 PM »
Play-offs for promotion between teams finishing 3rd-7th are one thing, but play offs to decide who are champions is absurd.  Mind you, I can kind of get some of what LSVilla just said (about players missing league games for internationals).

Agree one of the few things Football get right and Rugby get very wrong.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2022, 05:52:27 PM »
Anyone but Saracens!! Well done Leicester

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2022, 08:24:10 PM »

I’ve long been an advocate of the top English club level of Rugby Union having two conferences of 8 teams, with playoffs to decide the winner.

However, the Premiership do everything they can to keep other clubs out, so it’ll never happen.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2022, 08:25:02 PM »
Anyone but Saracens!! Well done Leicester

Agreed. Saracens should not have been allowed back into the Premiership after the shortened season

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2022, 08:49:44 PM »

Similar principle in football with the Champions League I guess, or teams getting promoted from the Championship who finished 6th.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2022, 11:55:42 PM »

I’ve long been an advocate of the top English club level of Rugby Union having two conferences of 8 teams, with playoffs to decide the winner.

However, the Premiership do everything they can to keep other clubs out, so it’ll never happen.

Bit harsh seeing we're in the middle of them increasing to 14 teams.

On the playoffs, I think it's the right thing for the sport because of the impact of international games, it's a good example of a compromise that stops the club vs country issues that can arise.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »
They might say that they’re going to increase to 14, but it doesn’t happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60590815

Shame that London Irish moved in with Brentford, that would have been an ideal ground share for Ealing

Offline paul_e

« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2022, 09:39:57 PM »

Shame that London Irish moved in with Brentford, that would have been an ideal ground share for Ealing

I think Doncaster would've been fine had they won, their application was cloe enough that it would've been possible to resolve it. Ealing's ground just isn't up to standard and there's no way they could've fixed it in time. I don't think it's fair to suggest the rules have been setup to create a closed door in any way, it's more that teams need to be able to, financially, hold their own in the league, as well as having the facilities needed to broadcast, etc.

I suspect what will happen this year is the minimum capacity rule will be changed to a figure that most championship clubs can achieve with temporary faciilities and Ealing will work to sort the other issues. I'd be suprised if they don't come up next season.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #207 on: June 20, 2022, 08:51:25 PM »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2022, 05:08:47 PM »

I think Doncaster would've been fine had they won, their application was cloe enough that it would've been possible to resolve it. Ealing's ground just isn't up to standard and there's no way they could've fixed it in time. I don't think it's fair to suggest the rules have been setup to create a closed door in any way, it's more that teams need to be able to, financially, hold their own in the league, as well as having the facilities needed to broadcast, etc.

I suspect what will happen this year is the minimum capacity rule will be changed to a figure that most championship clubs can achieve with temporary faciilities and Ealing will work to sort the other issues. I'd be suprised if they don't come up next season.

That works both ways though Paul. If there is no relegation don't reinvent the wheel just to put Sarries up. Hope you are keeping well by the way.

Stuart - New Assistant Head Coach of the Minis at Stourbridge

Offline paul_e

« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »

That works both ways though Paul. If there is no relegation don't reinvent the wheel just to put Sarries up. Hope you are keeping well by the way.

Stuart - New Assistant Head Coach of the Minis at Stourbridge

You'll never get an argument from me on that, letting sarries come back up in the way they did was pathetic.

On the subject of sarries and ground regulations I thinl there is now enough evidence to make a decision to ban 5g pitches in top flight and european rugby.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal