collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where to next for refereeing?  (Read 16283 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Where to next for refereeing?
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »
I'm not sure all of that when through his head in that split second.  I just think he was desperate to blow Grealish for diving and to be seen as a strong ref who will stamp down on it.  He go over excited when he got the chance ad it has backfired massively on him.

I certainly agree that they should be allowed to check events leading to a goal.  What is wrong with the ref just saying, "my on-field decision is a goal but can you please check that tackle, handball etc"

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »
I'm not sure all of that when through his head in that split second.  I just think he was desperate to blow Grealish for diving and to be seen as a strong ref who will stamp down on it.  He go over excited when he got the chance ad it has backfired massively on him.

I certainly agree that they should be allowed to check events leading to a goal.  What is wrong with the ref just saying, "my on-field decision is a goal but can you please check that tackle, handball etc"

Possibly not but the whole situation with VAR is confusing right now. Everything I can find says the recommendation is to let play go and then review later but there's a whole bunch of things they can't review so if the ref thinks it's something that falls in that category then they have to blow up quickly, thus removing the option to use VAR. It's a mess. I get there were problems in the womens world cup (in my opinion this was mainly down to the pitchside review by the ref) but going to this extreme in response makes the technology largely pointless other than catching things like the new handball rule or marginal offsides, the latter being something that doesn't fit in the remit of using it anyway.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
VAR won't say "it was a fair challenge, neither a pen or a dive, goal stands" because play had stopped as soon as he blows so as far as VAR, and the rules of the game go, we never scored.
With how VAR is used Friend, or any ref, can't let play continue then ask VAR to check if it was a dive, if they think it is a dive the ref has to blow as VAR won't look back and say "clear simulation by Grealish, disallow the goal".
The only thing it could have done is say "clear foul on Grealish, award a penalty".
Friend was obviously massively incompetent, but the current VAR system is too flawed imo.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
The only way to improve refereeing is for the people on here who want to complain and moan, to become referees and to do a better job at it. Or to persuade former players to become referees too. End of, stop bleating, move on.  You will not stop poor decision making, ever.

Friend has previous? Really? Don’t they all?

Sorry that's crap.  We all make mistakes but most of us are probably held accountable if we do our jobs badly.  Why shouldn't refs be, especially when there is a lengthy history of cock ups from a particular individual?  It is a difficult job but isn't that one reason why VAR is there to help them? He didn't give it a chance, so eager was he to punish Grealish.  And yes he does have history with us.  There aren't that many refs you can say have mugged us more than once or twice, but he is one of them who stands out, along with Elleray and Halsey. 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2019, 10:37:06 PM »
The only way to improve refereeing is for the people on here who want to complain and moan, to become referees and to do a better job at it. Or to persuade former players to become referees too. End of, stop bleating, move on.  You will not stop poor decision making, ever.

Sorry that's crap.  We all make mistakes but most of us are probably held accountable if we do our jobs badly.  Why shouldn't refs be, especially when there is a lengthy history of cock ups from a particular individual?  It is a difficult job but isn't that one reason why VAR is there to help them? He didn't give it a chance, so eager was he to punish Grealish.  And yes he does have history with us.  There aren't that many refs you can say have mugged us more than once or twice, but he is one of them who stands out, along with Elleray and Halsey. 

The F.A. don't give a fuck.  They back their referees, despite the crap decisions.  This is NOT a VAR issue, this is a terrible, personal opinion of a single individual called Kevin Friend.  All referees will piss us off.  Granted Friend appears to have done it more than once.  He's a c*** and a crap referee but he's backed by even bigger c***s at the F.A.  Yes, the mere mortals like you and I are held to account if we do a shit job.  We live in the real world but you need to come to terms with the fact that the referees and the F.A. don't.  Boys own stuff I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:44:45 PM by Newby »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2019, 11:05:22 PM »
I have complete faith in FA. They'll announce the punishment for our player being assaulted any day now. Any day now.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2019, 01:40:54 PM »

The F.A. don't give a fuck.  They back their referees, despite the crap decisions.  This is NOT a VAR issue, this is a terrible, personal opinion of a single individual called Kevin Friend.  All referees will piss us off.  Granted Friend appears to have done it more than once.  He's a c*** and a crap referee but he's backed by even bigger c***s at the F.A.  Yes, the mere mortals like you and I are held to account if we do a shit job.  We live in the real world but you need to come to terms with the fact that the referees and the F.A. don't.  Boys own stuff I'm afraid.

If the FA are the ultimate problem then how is it going to improve whoever becomes a ref?  And how are ex-players, many of whom appear to be on the thick side, and many of whom will have their own pet hate teams, going to help? Or me or you?  And what then is the point of VAR if they back useless official regardless? 

And should we just accept everything shitty in life and not try and change it? My point is accountability is needed somewhere.  In the "real world" things can be, and are, changed by protest, campaigning, lobbying  etc.   The same can happen with ivory tower organisations like the FA if enough pressure is brought to bear, and a petition added to the media reaction is maybe not an unreasonable starting point.   

Offline AllanW

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2019, 07:09:08 PM »
And should we just accept everything shitty in life and not try and change it? My point is accountability is needed somewhere.  In the "real world" things can be, and are, changed by protest, campaigning, lobbying  etc.   The same can happen with ivory tower organisations like the FA if enough pressure is brought to bear, and a petition added to the media reaction is maybe not an unreasonable starting point.   

Nice. I agree.

The petition latest, if you want to add to it;

https://www.change.org/p/football-fans-ban-kevin-friend-from-refereeing-premier-league-games?recruited_by_id=b1dcb990-cc0b-11e9-a436-3739f2073faa&share_bandit_exp=initial-17591627-en-GB&share_bandit_var=v1

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
I tell you what, if Blues fans had started this petition we’d be pissing ourselves laughing at them.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  Seriously you guys need to get a grip.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2019, 10:17:47 PM »
It's harmless. Doesn't worry me in the slightest. I signed 😁

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:58 PM »
Not signing a petition like that, definitely needs to be more strategic and campaign for a better standards system if needed.

The one below it however i have signed, real world issue, thanks.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-prosecution-of-those-who-are-saving-lives-in-the-mediterranean-sea-freepia

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
Not signing a petition like that, definitely needs to be more strategic and campaign for a better standards system if needed.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-prosecution-of-those-who-are-saving-lives-in-the-mediterranean-sea-freepia

Done, bro.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2019, 05:59:05 AM »
It's harmless. Doesn't worry me in the slightest. I signed 😁

Just for being told to get a grip, I signed it, too. So there :)

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2019, 06:01:08 AM »

Done, bro.

Signed, also.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2019, 09:53:57 AM »
I tell you what, if Blues fans had started this petition we’d be pissing ourselves laughing at them.  It’s absolutely ridiculous.  Seriously you guys need to get a grip.

Yes we'd all be laughing at them.  If we had a pathetic childish mindset that couldn't see there is a genuine issue at stake.  Perhaps targeting just Friend is not entirely appropriate, but the principle of making refs more accountable is an issue many feel is worth raising. Anyway was it started by Villa fans?  There seems to be an undercurrent of anti-Friend sentiment going back a long way from fans of multiple clubs based on the comments in that petition link. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal