collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:06:40 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:04:11 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by trinityoap
[Today at 07:00:10 PM]

Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 06:55:20 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 06:50:36 PM]

Champions League Contention by olaftab
[Today at 06:36:06 PM]

VAR by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:35:46 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 06:20:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where to next for refereeing?  (Read 16494 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Where to next for refereeing?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
The system didn't get this one wrong, the referee got it wrong by not implementing the agreed system by allowing play to continue and VAR to then review.

This incident is not one that can be used to criticise VAR but can be used to criticise Refs not doing what they're supposed to.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 02:18:09 PM »
Why does this need another thread?

Offline AllanW

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 02:32:08 PM »
Why does this need another thread?

I asked Dave Woodhall before posting it and he okayed it.

Online Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Up there with "We love his chunky thighs" that is.
:D
I hope you liked it

Pretty sure he didn't

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2019, 02:38:31 PM »
I've got a meeting tomorrow a couple of miles from where Friend lives in Wigston.

I shall give him a stern glance as I drive past.

Offline KRS

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2019, 03:24:19 PM »
I dont get this whistle thing?

If the ref blows his whistle for a penalty , it still gets checked by VAR to see if its the right decision . 

Whistle or not that Lansbury goal should still have been checked just to prove what  a shite ref Kevin Friend is and award the goal.
This is the problem...Friend blew his whistle when he shouldn’t have done. What should have happened is he let’s play continue until the ball is dead. Most instances give advantage to the attacking team to see if a goal is scored or foul committed, play is then reviewed and the goal or penalty is either allowed (restart at kick off) or disallowed (restart at free kick or goal kick). What Friend did was to blow in favour of the defending team for an incorrect decision thereby nullifying any advantage to the attacking team. He basically royally fucked us over and broke all the rules with his incompetence.

Offline littleoldme

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2019, 06:36:53 PM »
I've got a meeting tomorrow a couple of miles from where Friend lives in Wigston.

I shall give him a stern glance as I drive past.
I work in Oadby,just a mile or so from Wigston,and a lad i work with know's him,as speaks to him,i won't post the message i have asked him to give him.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 10:30:41 PM by littleoldme »

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
Isn't Kevin Friend from Leicester.   You couldn't make it up.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1168533911829458946?s=19

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »
We can’t get the point back. No matter who agrees with the crap Friend decision.  Bleating is so very small time and makes other fans laugh at us. Let whatever injustice motivate the players to win games.

In most cases, aye.

But this was such a rotter of a performance the Fiend needs both barrels just for his own good. The spotlight will be on him now for the rest of the season - and not just if he refs us again.

For us, I hope it fires us to go all out (if we weren't already).  So that one point lost is neither here nor there.

Think it was Descartes who said anger is an energy. And if he didn't he should've.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2019, 11:33:45 PM »
Absolutely agree that refs should have to attend post-match conferences.

Hold the bastards to account!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »
Add to that not spotting the Fredericks stamp (right in front of him) when he was 4th official in the play off final.

Hopefully he'll be dropped from the PL for a few weeks and Villa games for a few seasons.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:15 AM »
Lots of great research there from Vill I An (Thank you) about Kevin Friend which should remove any doubt whatsoever that his incompetence is recent, a one-off and to be excused as he's only human. It's a pattern; it's consistent; it's unacceptable. At the very least we should try to gather support for removing him.

Hopefully he'll be dropped from the PL for a few weeks and Villa games for a few seasons.

Here's my point; that won't happen at all. If it were likely he'd have been removed from the Senior List at some time over the last 7 or 8 years. But he hasn't been. Nor have any other of the incompetents who make blatant mistakes week in week out. It's not good enough. We deserve better. We deserve a fair game on the pitch.

But we won't get one if we rely on the administrators and refs bodies to police themselves. Self-regulation never works. Never.

So we should apply pressure for change. We need to demand a fair game on the pitch. The time is right; we have support on this issue right now from all quarters; players, clubs, fans etc so NOW is the time to build the campaign.

It can be done. Who wants to help?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 10:06:26 AM »
You're in danger of making us look massively whiney and small time if you start a capmaign against refs based on us getting a shocker.

I'm pretty sure Everton should have had a penalty against us and we weren't moaning about the ref and VAR not picking up on that.

Don't make a dick of yourself or take it too far, just suck it up as every other club does when they get a poor decision.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »
You're in danger of making us look massively whiney and small time if you start a capmaign against refs based on us getting a shocker.

I'm pretty sure Everton should have had a penalty against us and we weren't moaning about the ref and VAR not picking up on that.

Don't make a dick of yourself or take it too far, just suck it up as every other club does when they get a poor decision.

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

The campaign is not based on us, Kevin Friend or one event. That's just a useful current example.
A few fans from other clubs will always call us whiny and small-time; don;t worry about it :)
Most fans will see that the campaign is about fairness for all and that includes them.
'Just suck it up'; forgive me but that's exactly what they want you to do because then they can carry on being crap with no pressure for change. You may be okay with that but I'm not and I think the time has come for many, many others who agree. It's not good enough.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
What exactly do you hope to achieve? 

Hey guys PL refs can be a bit shite (particlarly against the Villa).

Ok we'll try and do a bit better.  We may even introduce a new fangled video assistant referee to help improve things and pick up on major mistakes.  It may take a while for everyone to get used to it and for it to bed in, but hopefully in due course it will work just as well as it does in rugby and cricket.  Sound like a good idea?

But, but PL refs are shit and massively biased agains my club....   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal