collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219893 times)

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #1170 on: January 13, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
Worried yes but it's not like we are cut adrift, far from it. The other 6 teams in the mix are pretty poor too.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1171 on: January 13, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »
I think my main concern is the shear lack off tactical ability. This is a genuine question. How many games have we won after going behind? I worry that Dean can’t positively change a game.

One. Brighton. After they went down to ten men.

While I agree with the broad point and it’s quite clearly not a good thing, I don’t think it’s untypical of teams in this part of the table. I’ve only had a very quick glance, so apologies if this is wrong, but I believe that none of Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham or Burnley have won a single game after going behind.

That Brighton game is the only one out of the last 53 in which we've gone behind (or conceded first, can't remember which) in the Premier League.

Which backs up your point because we've been at the arse end of this division for the last 10 years we've been in it.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1172 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »
having no strikers is a massive problem but for me its not the biggest

biggest problem is the fact that the whole team but the midfield in particular treat the ball like a hot coal,
 cant control it, cant pass it, rabbits in headlights when they have it, hide away from it, pass it backwards for safety to often, have no confidence on the ball at all, its like we are a bunch of amatures, embarrassing to watch

we can bring in a great striker but it still doesn't get us over that problem

Just add can't throw a ball to our own player from a throw in and I think we've reached 15/16 levels of incompetence.

Online Drummond

« Reply #1173 on: January 13, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
McGinn is the leader of our midfield. He chases, protects and tackles. The rest are lightweight.

As for throw ins we've been horrendous at them for as long as I can remember.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1174 on: January 13, 2020, 02:27:23 PM »
They're going to be horrendous when City have 5 players around the ball and at best we have one or two well shackled players trying to show for it.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1175 on: January 14, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
Avoiding relegation was always going to the the main priority with the added difficulty of a manager (I don't rate) with no experience at this level. Pretty much as I expected so not worried.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1176 on: January 14, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
As mentioned above, we are far from cut adrift at this point, but my concerns have increased a bit after witnessing that hammering at the weekend. 

Although we have picked up a couple of results, performances have not been great for a while now and we just seem to be panicking a bit on the transfer front and adopting a bit of a scattergun approach.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #1177 on: January 14, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
To me, apart from the next 3 games, there isn't a run of fixtures that will allow us to get on a good run which is a concern.  Newcastle away in March is between Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool and Man United.  The 'easy' looking games are against in form teams like Southampton and Sheff Utd.  We have to hope we can get results v Spurs and Arsenal at home (and maybe Wolves) otherwise it's hard to see us getting 20 points from the last 16.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1178 on: January 14, 2020, 04:07:02 PM »
To me, apart from the next 3 games, there isn't a run of fixtures that will allow us to get on a good run which is a concern.  Newcastle away in March is between Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Liverpool and Man United.  The 'easy' looking games are against in form teams like Southampton and Sheff Utd.  We have to hope we can get results v Spurs and Arsenal at home (and maybe Wolves) otherwise it's hard to see us getting 20 points from the last 16.

As nice as it would be, teams down the bottom of the table don’t tend to go on that much of a good run. Of the bottom eight teams only West Ham, at the start of the season, and Watford recently have really had anything approaching a good run. Think the best any of the others have managed is 2-3 games unbeaten.

Our wins probably will be fairly sporadic for the remainder of the season as will be the case with most struggling teams. I do agree that we need a few ‘unexpected’ results in order to give us the best chance of staying up.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1179 on: January 14, 2020, 04:13:41 PM »
What does worry me is that we haven't yet won a game that others around us will think 'fuck', such as Watford beating Yernited, Southampton at Leicester etc etc.  We are extremely predictable when it comes to games we don't expect to win - we don't.  That has to change.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #1180 on: January 14, 2020, 04:15:14 PM »
And SOuthampton have hit a purple patch. 2nd on to Lpool at the moment

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1181 on: January 14, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
Oh for those heady days of 10 wins in a row, we can't string 10 passes in a row these days.

As many others have pointed out, these next 3 league games are everything, 6 points has to be the absolute bare minimum, I'd prefer 7 and but absolutely over the moon with 9. Imagine that, 3 wins on the trot.

Online Drummond

« Reply #1182 on: January 14, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »
Oh for those heady days of 10 wins in a row, we can't string 10 passes in a row these days.

As many others have pointed out, these next 3 league games are everything, 6 points has to be the absolute bare minimum, I'd prefer 7 and but absolutely over the moon with 9. Imagine that, 3 wins on the trot.

I wonder when we last did that in the top division.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1183 on: January 14, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
John Gregory? Or was that just an unbeaten run?

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1184 on: January 14, 2020, 04:44:36 PM »

I wonder when we last did that in the top division.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal