collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219882 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #765 on: December 08, 2019, 11:21:22 PM »
This 4 3 3 is really hindering us. We're carrying AEG and Trez. Leicester's diamond system ironically enough looks like it would suit us so much better.

This.

Thought their system worked so well today because their full-backs were excellent and got forward at every opportunity.  Can't see ours providing the kind of outlet to make that system work well.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #766 on: December 08, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
5 defeats out of 7 but let's be realistic six of those games were against the current top 6. Too soon to panic.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #767 on: December 08, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »
There full backs were excellent, especially Pereira. They knew exactly when to go and when to stay. I like both Guilbert and Targett but they dont have the same disciplined approach.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #768 on: December 08, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
Gulibert is good imo and can improve further. Good cross on him, knows when to get forward and got good pace to get back from upfield. Plenty to work with.

Targett on the other hand is alright in final third but he's another in the long line of left backs who isn't very good when one on one v a winger and isn't quick at all. He reminds me of Warnock a bit. Also seems to pick up a few injuries.

There is a reason why he couldn't get a regular game at a very poor Southammpton team last few years.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #769 on: December 08, 2019, 11:32:54 PM »
Targett is a strange one, he lacks pace and is not great defensively but what he does have is a good understanding with Grealish on when to over lap and a very good delivery, he should of easily had 3 assists in the last 3 games if El-Ghazi had finished the sitters. The problem is when we dont finish them we are massively vunerable on the counter because he does not have Guilberts stamina to get up and down.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #770 on: December 08, 2019, 11:36:44 PM »
Just watching MOTD such a positve, fast, energetic team in Sheffield United.we're slow and predictable and some of our players look tired, why? We aren't playing European football or have extra games.

Same set up, same tactics, same subs, playing with one striker, won't give other striker a chance, poor in game management. It's a good job Deano is villa or there'd be upraor

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #771 on: December 08, 2019, 11:39:00 PM »
It's a good job Deano is villa or there'd be upraor

There wouldnt and he's been questioned loads of times on here.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #772 on: December 09, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »
Its clear to me looking at the team we dont have many game changers form the bench. Pereira looked a class above jota, el ghazi and trez. He was a lot better than grealish as well who had a absolute stinker 2nd half.

We need to get rid of Taylor, kodjia and elmo in jan and replace them. None of them are good enough.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #773 on: December 09, 2019, 07:32:28 AM »
Coming out of the international break I was feeling good about the Newcastle and Man U games but other teams' results meant we were closer to the bottom 3 than before it. Now a couple of entirely predictable defeats and the table is looking decidedly dodgy. I think we'll be OK but picking up points over the next few games is crucial.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #774 on: December 09, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »
I think Tresequet needs to start over El Ghazi. I've nothing against El Ghazi at all, I quite like him but Tresequet seems a lot better at sneaking into the box. As for Wes, id drop him for Kodjia personally for a game or two. I think he needs to do something at least.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #775 on: December 09, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »
I know that Wesley cost £20m or whatever, but Kodj wasn't exactly a snip at £12m either, and he's proved in the past that he's a much better goal scorer and all round footballer than Wesley.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #776 on: December 09, 2019, 12:01:53 PM »
This 4 3 3 is really hindering us. We're carrying AEG and Trez. Leicester's diamond system ironically enough looks like it would suit us so much better.

This.

Really? 4-3-3 with Grealish in one of the front 3 positions actually had us on a nice little run before we hit the Man. City-Liverpool double trouble games.

I prefer it to early in the season when we had two out and out wingers and Grealish in the middle three and we looked very unbalanced at both ends.

My worry is in terms of major changes DS will go back to this and Sheffield United will expose the gaps between defence and midfield quite easily.

It's not really a 433 anyway, El Ghazi/Trez tend to stay fairly wide on the right but Grealish is tucked in somewhere between a left winger and a 10.  The change I'd make is to get the right winger doing the same. If it's Jota of Trez I'd want them on the ball and invovled in the build-up, if it's AEG I'd be getting him pushing into the box a lot more.

It all relies on us retaining possession better though, that's where we're losing games, we let teams recycle the ball far too easily and it means we get trapped in our own half and that's when Wesley looks terrible because he can't hold the ball up long enough to get people around him.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #777 on: December 09, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
Keep calm and carry on. Former Ipswich Chairman John Cavendish Cobbold was once asked if the club was in crisis. He replied "We only consider it to be a crisis when we run out of red wine in the boardroom".

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #778 on: December 09, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
Keep calm and carry on. Former Ipswich Chairman John Cavendish Cobbold was once asked if the club was in crisis. He replied "We only consider it to be a crisis when we run out of red wine in the boardroom".

Pedant alert - wasn’t it white wine <winky thing>

Anyway as someone above said the template is better ball retention and Trying to get better support closer to Wesley, I don’t care how he does it in terms of formation, he just needs to sort it.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #779 on: December 09, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

This.

Really? 4-3-3 with Grealish in one of the front 3 positions actually had us on a nice little run before we hit the Man. City-Liverpool double trouble games.

I prefer it to early in the season when we had two out and out wingers and Grealish in the middle three and we looked very unbalanced at both ends.

My worry is in terms of major changes DS will go back to this and Sheffield United will expose the gaps between defence and midfield quite easily.

It's not really a 433 anyway, El Ghazi/Trez tend to stay fairly wide on the right but Grealish is tucked in somewhere between a left winger and a 10.  The change I'd make is to get the right winger doing the same. If it's Jota of Trez I'd want them on the ball and invovled in the build-up, if it's AEG I'd be getting him pushing into the box a lot more.

It all relies on us retaining possession better though, that's where we're losing games, we let teams recycle the ball far too easily and it means we get trapped in our own half and that's when Wesley looks terrible because he can't hold the ball up long enough to get people around him.
It also requires the midfield 3 to have some discipline and why I think that SJM is not necessarily suited to the role at this level.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal