collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219820 times)

Offline GemSaloon

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #510 on: November 10, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
Not too worried. It was always going to be tough coming up through the playoffs and having to replace so many in the summer. Overall we've played well so far this season, things like the goal against Palace being disallowed and conceding late goals against the big boys make it seem worse than it really is.

Still have full confidence in Smith, we're in a much better position now than when he took over. Bit more quality in January and beating the teams around us (especially at home) will see us home. It's a long term project, we have a lot of potential and a good coach, keep the faith.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #511 on: November 10, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
7 defeats out of 12 isn't good. Three teams worse than us at the moment so could be worse. My concern is teams immediately above us are West Ham, Tottenham and Everton and realistically they're not going to be down there come season's end. Likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Sheff U have stolen a march on us. Long way to go and overall I'm pretty confident we'll be fine but would be nice to be more comfortable.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #512 on: November 10, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »
No.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #513 on: November 10, 2019, 06:23:30 PM »
Yeh, lets just buy a striker in January, easy.

Didn't we buy Darren Bent, one of the highest scorers in Premier League history, in January?

Edit: And pick up Robbie Keane on loan?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:26:52 PM by Ad@m »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #514 on: November 10, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
7 defeats out of 12 isn't good. Three teams worse than us at the moment so could be worse. My concern is teams immediately above us are West Ham, Tottenham and Everton and realistically they're not going to be down there come season's end. Likes of Newcastle, Brighton, Sheff U have stolen a march on us. Long way to go and overall I'm pretty confident we'll be fine but would be nice to be more comfortable.

Dropped points against 10 man Arsenal and West Ham have proved costly. They are two very average sides. Few extra points now would have us comfortable. It's worrying enough to be honest, particularly if Grealish cant shake off his current injury quickly. Summer signings seems a very mixed bag and we continue to concede late goals.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2019, 06:26:29 PM »
Yeh, lets just buy a striker in January, easy.

Didn't we buy Darren Bent, one of the highest scorers in Premier League history, in January?
Exactly

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #516 on: November 10, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »

Dropped points against 10 man Arsenal and West Ham have proved costly. They are two very average sides. Few extra points now would have us comfortable. It's worrying enough to be honest, particularly if Grealish cant shake off his current injury quickly. Summer signings seems a very mixed bag and we continue to concede late goals.

Add in Burnley. Niggly team to play against but we were leading twice against them. Bournemouth was also a disappointment given it was our first home game back, nightmare first 10 minutes.

That period we should've got more points on the board given the match situations and way this league is it hurts you when you then get a run of fixtures against better teams and start losing.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #517 on: November 10, 2019, 06:28:50 PM »

Add in Burnley. Niggly team to play against but we were leading twice against them. Bournemouth was also a disappointment given it was our first home game back, nightmare first 10 minutes.

That period we should've got more points on the board given the match situations and way this league is it hurts you when you then get a run of fixtures against better teams and start losing.
You have to take the opportunity in this league and we have thrown points away now we face difficult games and injuries and lack of form is beginning to tell.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2019, 06:32:47 PM »
I would say though we were unlucky after those back to back wins and being 11th we got Man. City and Liverpool straight after. It would be like Newcastle in good form having those two games up next rather than us and I think Southampton at home.

Add in how we messed up the end of the Liverpool game and it's a real momentum killer. Let's hope we come out firing v Newcastle to try to get back on track.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #519 on: November 10, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »
The next few games now look a bit daunting - not panicking yet but my earlier thoughts of how teams promoted through the play off struggle are resurfacing
The gamble on Wesley doesn't seem to be returning anything
Newcastle ain't gonna be easy - I'm worried that SJM is starting to look jaded 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
We need to never hit the lows of the first half again.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #521 on: November 10, 2019, 07:44:26 PM »
We need to never hit the lows of the first half again.

Very true. I think the first half today, Palace and possibly the first twenty minutes against Bournemouth have been the only times where I would say that our performances have been poor though.

The rest of the time I think we have been fairly decent performance wise, but the problem for me is that, while I reckon we would have a good chance of beating 14/15 teams when we are good, we just look vulnerable and unable to dig out a result even when our performance levels are ok.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #522 on: November 10, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »
We are too easy to beat and too easy to score against. If the team doesn't toughen up and make things harder for the opposition then we are going down. We need more of a never say die attitude. Expansive football is great and I'm not advocating going Bruceball but we can't be so open so often. Teams more often than not are not earning their shots against us. Simply too comfortable to play against and it isn't helped either by the lack of closing down by any of our ''front 3''.  The ball comes back too often and too quickly against us.

Must do better, a lot better.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #523 on: November 10, 2019, 07:55:37 PM »
Surely our GD would be much worse if we were easy to beat, I'm talking Southampton with -18 and Norwich with -17.

Even after the last three defeats we're still only on -3. Everyone bar Spurs above us to Brighton have worse GD than we do.

As negative as all that sounds in the final few weeks that will act as an extra point so it could prove very crucial come May.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #524 on: November 10, 2019, 07:56:33 PM »
Any names other than Morelos?

TBH I'd be happy with him, concerns obviously about his temprement but he looks a real warrior from the front.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal