collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 222230 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #405 on: September 30, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »
With the players we've got and the way they go about their work, even mid-table mediocrity will be nothing if not blummin entertaining. I'll have that for now.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #406 on: September 30, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
This is a general point, not aimed at any people in particular but after reading the site the last few days ....

Can't we stop using inflammatory terms like 'knicker wetters', 'happy clappers' and whatnot, from either sides, stuff we all know pisses people off?

Yeah, some people think we are going to struggle and risk relegation, others think we are going to be fine. Some of us think Dean is doing a good job, others think he's showing signs of naivety.

Can't we just accept that we won't all agree on things and stop being so fucking confrontational about it all the time? It's like making your point and countering an argument isn't enough unless you've slipped in something you really know is going to rile someone (and when lots of us have been here for years, we all know what these things are)?

It's a football discussion website, we're not all going to agree all the time, anyone who can't handle conflicting opinions should probably waste their work time spend their leisure time elsewhere.
Can I still say "humbug"?

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2019, 05:30:54 PM »
Draw at Norwich, beat Brighton and I will feel better

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #408 on: September 30, 2019, 05:55:00 PM »
You see, Risso, I'm not the one who's worried. I'm not the one who thinks the end is nigh, who thinks everyone is shit, a waste of money and out of their depth. I think we'll be fine. I think our manager is great, will do a fine job for us and will be talked about for years.

We're not having the best run, but we're not being fucked over either. We haven't got a divine right to walk the league or to beat anyone. Based on the league positions last year, we started this as the lowest ranked.

We spent a lot of money replacing half the squad or making loans permanent. Given all the changes I think we need time to gel but already there are some great signs.

Of course I'd rather we won every game, of course I'm disappointed when we don't, but let's not cry about it eh?

I agree with everything you said here 100%

the biggest problem i have is we were having massive arguments last season because you were saying exactly the same thing about Bruce
not trying to be horrible but your track record of calling it is a bit rubbish really

I’m on your side re Smith but wasn’t re Bruce just hoping your judgement improved a bit else we’re all doomed

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #409 on: October 01, 2019, 11:04:18 AM »
You see, Risso, I'm not the one who's worried. I'm not the one who thinks the end is nigh, who thinks everyone is shit, a waste of money and out of their depth. I think we'll be fine. I think our manager is great, will do a fine job for us and will be talked about for years.

We're not having the best run, but we're not being fucked over either. We haven't got a divine right to walk the league or to beat anyone. Based on the league positions last year, we started this as the lowest ranked.

We spent a lot of money replacing half the squad or making loans permanent. Given all the changes I think we need time to gel but already there are some great signs.

Of course I'd rather we won every game, of course I'm disappointed when we don't, but let's not cry about it eh?

I agree with everything you said here 100%

the biggest problem i have is we were having massive arguments last season because you were saying exactly the same thing about Bruce
not trying to be horrible but your track record of calling it is a bit rubbish really

I’m on your side re Smith but wasn’t re Bruce just hoping your judgement improved a bit else we’re all doomed

I believe in giving people a chance.

The difference this season is that Smith's career has always had an upwards trajectory and I believe he's still improving.

Bruce was dealt a shit hand at the beginning of last season and had a lot to cope with but deserved to go in the end.

I just don't want dissenting voices taking over and for Smith not to get a proper chance.

Offline SW9-VILLA

« Reply #410 on: October 01, 2019, 12:30:43 PM »
I think a fair few people got excited after the euphoric end to last season. That and maybe seeing premier league not being great last few seasons led to a few thinking we'd actually do a Wolves and be comfortable in top half.

Wolves stormed the Championship and won it, we went up via play-offs so anyone expecting us to perform similarly to Wolves need to manage their expectations. It's quite remarkable for any newly promoted team to have a season like that anyway.

I think some of our fans got used to us winning a lot last season and expected more of the same despite the step up in quality.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #411 on: October 01, 2019, 03:05:06 PM »
I think a fair few people got excited after the euphoric end to last season. That and maybe seeing premier league not being great last few seasons led to a few thinking we'd actually do a Wolves and be comfortable in top half.

Wolves stormed the Championship and won it, we went up via play-offs so anyone expecting us to perform similarly to Wolves need to manage their expectations. It's quite remarkable for any newly promoted team to have a season like that anyway.

I think some of our fans got used to us winning a lot last season and expected more of the same despite the step up in quality.

we are performing similar to Wolves this season though they are just two points ahead of us

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #412 on: October 01, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
It's been very fine margins. We've been on the end of some rank decisions and our naivety seems to have been punished disproportionately.

It wouldn't be particular unfair to argue we ought to be on 11 or 12 points.

But here we are, learning, but certainly giving cause for optimism as much as concern. Watford and Newcastle have the stretch of relegation about them while we're playing ok.

Conversion from ok to points must start to happen though. 4-6 points from the next two ought to be in our grasp. Anything from the next two thereafter would be highly unexpected.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #413 on: October 01, 2019, 11:26:54 PM »
Not worried, plenty of goals in our wingers, midfield and forward. They will come and so will the points, we’re playing well 👍

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #414 on: October 02, 2019, 03:52:50 AM »
I haven’t looked this up but how did Eddie Howe start when Bournemouth first game up? He’s a manager who’s grown with his role and responsibilities as a PL manager. Always impressed with him and it could be that Dean is just learning his job, making mistakes, doing some good things. Just all part of the process.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #415 on: October 02, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »
I haven’t looked this up but how did Eddie Howe start when Bournemouth first game up? He’s a manager who’s grown with his role and responsibilities as a PL manager. Always impressed with him and it could be that Dean is just learning his job, making mistakes, doing some good things. Just all part of the process.

W2 D1 L4 from the first 7. (wins both against teams with 10 men, though they were already winning both games).

The it was DLLLLDD. Including two games shipping 5.

We beat them first game after they had 59% possession, out passed us and had more shots too. Gestede scored the only goal.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #416 on: October 05, 2019, 11:44:04 AM »
When you compare our squads this season to last, you can break down our current plight to this:

GK - IMPROVEMENT - Heaton -(*Though Steer I felt was unlucky to lose the shirt - Not a critical upgrade imo)
DF - IMPROVEMENT throughout - Better, more mobile RB and LB in Guilbert and Targett, additions of Engels and Konsa improves depth in CB positions too.
DM -  IMPROVEMENT - Replacing Whelan and Jedinak with Nakamba and Douglas Luiz. Younger, bettter players.
WINGS - IMPROVEMENT - Additions of Jota and Trezeguet
FWD - WORSE - Wesley is so far not showing enough - Not enough effort, doesn't hold the ball up, and is rarely in the right position for a lone CF

I must admit, whilst I appreciate what Tammy did for us last season, I wasn't too bothered about not getting him back this season, as I didn't think he'd cut it in the Premier League (didn't set the world alight with Swansea or his cameo appearances for Chelsea). How wrong was I!

It's clear as day that our CF position is the problem. The team is generally playing well, but by not having someone that can show for the ball (and hold it up!), it's putting way too much pressure on them -especially later in games - which i think is why they're tiring so easily leading to silly mistakes.

I thought it would be risky putting all of our eggs in the Wesley basket, and so far, this has proved true. If Dean and the owners can get someone in as soon as that January window opens, I think we'll be okay - A good second half to the season in fact! If he persists with him, we're only heading in one direction imo.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #417 on: October 05, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »
With regards to Abraham, it mustn't be overlooked that at Chelsea he's surrounded by a more accomplished group than we've assembled. If all things remained the same and we transpose him for Wes, he'd still not have a hatful because we don't create that many chances for a centre-forward. His conversion rate with us wasn't stunning anyway.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #418 on: October 05, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
Kind of agree. Maybe Tammy isn't the answer, but if it was a straight choice between him and Wesley at the moment, it certainly wouldn't be the latter.

Regardless of who it is in that slot, I do think our achilles heel has been that FW position. We're crying out for someone that the team can just ping the ball to (and it sticks), to give them a little breather. This league is relentless compared to where we've just come from, and I think our main issue is that they're all fooked after 60mins* due to there being no let up for them.

*On that note, you've also got to question Dean's constant stubborness to not make subs until it's too late.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #419 on: October 05, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »
Not worried, plenty of goals in our wingers, midfield and forward. They will come and so will the points, we’re playing well 👍

Don't see plenty of goals tbh. Think McGinn is looking good for double figures and could well be our leading goalscorer this season. The rest look in 5-8 goal bracket to me, yes even Wes.

Could still be enough if we get back to keeping clean sheets.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal