collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219877 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2019, 08:26:17 PM »
I’m with you on this one Drummond, I actually like watching us play, although I do get frustrated. We could do with a bit of luck, that would be nice. However I’m still very confident this team will start getting the results soon.

My brother,  has already, after their might win against Watford started the “Mind the Gap” now they are above us. That’s the first time they have even taken the lead in a match this season!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #391 on: September 29, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
I find it weird when people only seem to see things in a binary way. We are neither absolutely dreadful or brilliant. Dean is not a great manager, he may get there one day he may not, but he’s also not hopeless. Villa aren’t doing great at the minute, but it doesn’t mean we need to sack the manager and equally it doesn’t mean we give him a lifetime contract and can’t question him.

We need to be better and hopefully Dean knows how to sort it, if he doesn’t he won’t last.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #392 on: September 29, 2019, 08:39:42 PM »
I find it weird when people only seem to see things in a binary way. We are neither absolutely dreadful or brilliant. Dean is not a great manager, he may get there one day he may not, but he’s also not hopeless. Villa aren’t doing great at the minute, but it doesn’t mean we need to sack the manager and equally it doesn’t mean we give him a lifetime contract and can’t question him.

We need to be better and hopefully Dean knows how to sort it, if he doesn’t he won’t last.
That's very deep. Too deep for me anyroad

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #393 on: September 29, 2019, 08:52:48 PM »
I think a fair few people got excited after the euphoric end to last season. That and maybe seeing premier league not being great last few seasons led to a few thinking we'd actually do a Wolves and be comfortable in top half.

Reality for me and I said it in the pre season prediction thread was 14th place on 42 points. I don't think I'll be that far out either way.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #394 on: September 29, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »
16th.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #395 on: September 29, 2019, 09:40:23 PM »
Watching Newcastle and Watford certainly helps you be less worried. We’re miles better than them and certainly at least 1 other team in this division.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #396 on: September 29, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »
Brighton and Norwich are massive games. Burnley is one we should have won, but I thought they were actually a trickier opponent for us than better teams, because of the physicality and shithousery, which we don’t cope well with.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #397 on: September 29, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »
Watching Newcastle and Watford certainly helps you be less worried. We’re miles better than them and certainly at least 1 other team in this division.
I really think we need to stop thinking we are miles better than any one in this league.
We quite obviously are not.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #398 on: September 29, 2019, 10:05:52 PM »
Disagree, I think our league position is a slightly false reflection of how we’ve played 1 extra point (I’m looking at you Kevin Friend) makes a difference such is the congested league.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #399 on: September 29, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
I'm concerned that we've conceded five very preventable goals in the last two games due to defensive lapses.  That was our strong point up to then.  I'm concerned that Wesley doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard but Smith seems wary of giving Davis a run.  Surely it's worth a try?  I'm concerned Smith is persisting with Taylor who is (usually) just about ok defensively but offers nothing going forward.  I'm concerned that Trezeguet shows some good touches but lacked composure when wasting two or three clear chances which could have given us two goal cushions.  I'm also concerned that refs and VAR officials have given some bloody  awful decisions against us, a trend that needs to change if we are to have any chance.   I'm concerned that we can't seem to last more than 70 minutes without looking knackered.  I'm concerned that we seem to fall apart when faced with only 10 men.  I'm concerned that Smith seems dumbfounded when the opposition make formation and tactical changes, and slow to react when our players are obviously knackered.  I'm concerned that there aren't any obvious relegation fodder teams in the PL this year - even Watford looked they could play a bit against Arsenal.

Apart from that everything is fine and dandy, and it is only September....
You Titty Baby. ;)

Fuck yeah always up for a bit of titty.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #400 on: September 29, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
I do think though that we were absolutely robbed of a point by Friend and robbed of a chance of a point by Jon Moss not giving a clear pen against Arsenal.  With those two extra points we'd be mid table and things would look a whole lot different.  Neither of those were the players or Smith's fault.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
You see, Risso, I'm not the one who's worried. I'm not the one who thinks the end is nigh, who thinks everyone is shit, a waste of money and out of their depth. I think we'll be fine. I think our manager is great, will do a fine job for us and will be talked about for years.

We're not having the best run, but we're not being fucked over either. We haven't got a divine right to walk the league or to beat anyone. Based on the league positions last year, we started this as the lowest ranked.

We spent a lot of money replacing half the squad or making loans permanent. Given all the changes I think we need time to gel but already there are some great signs.

Of course I'd rather we won every game, of course I'm disappointed when we don't, but let's not cry about it eh?

Nobody thinks everything is shit, including me, but the start has been extremely disappointing and lots of people are pointing out the faults.  This still feels hugely different from the last time when we went down, but if the end result is the same, it'll still be a massive and costly failure.  I don't think we will though, as if we're struggling into January then the owners will surely put their hands in their pockets again.  The front three situation is very bad though, with nobody of Premier League quality at all (yet).

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
This is a general point, not aimed at any people in particular but after reading the site the last few days ....

Can't we stop using inflammatory terms like 'knicker wetters', 'happy clappers' and whatnot, from either sides, stuff we all know pisses people off?

Yeah, some people think we are going to struggle and risk relegation, others think we are going to be fine. Some of us think Dean is doing a good job, others think he's showing signs of naivety.

Can't we just accept that we won't all agree on things and stop being so fucking confrontational about it all the time? It's like making your point and countering an argument isn't enough unless you've slipped in something you really know is going to rile someone (and when lots of us have been here for years, we all know what these things are)?

It's a football discussion website, we're not all going to agree all the time, anyone who can't handle conflicting opinions should probably waste their work time spend their leisure time elsewhere.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
I haven't seen anybody who thinks we should be "winning all 7 games"?

I know plenty that have expected us to win, given the opposition, more than one though. Moaning, entitled bastards that they are.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »
"most points lost from a winning position" is a horrible stat, but I'd much rather be sat here having lost leads we'd earned, than never having looked like leading games.  Clearly we have a problem in either finishing off teams, or holding on to leads - that reason might be tactical, it might be psychological, who knows - but I do know I'd rather be supporting a team that struggles to hold to leads than trying to get them in the first place.

We haven't had a lot of luck, and VAR has cost us too, and these are things that will hopefully even themselves out over the course of the season, but we clearly need to be doing better.  That said, it's still so early we're literally a couple of wins from upper mid-table and I'd like to see us get at least one of those this weekend.  This team feels a million miles better than the one that was relegated, and I'm still confident it will come good (even if 'good' means midtable mediocrity).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal