collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 220026 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #345 on: September 28, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
The positive thing is that we're not being royally fucked over every week. We're in games but stupid errors cost us.

We can do this. And I believe we will.

Me too.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #346 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:44 AM »
I honestly can't remember how we stopped up during those Lambert seasons; all I know is that somehow we did. That's what I'm hoping for this time around, because quite honestly I don't have the stomach for a promotion battle again. Just work it out, Smith, ffs.

Was thinking about that during the game today.  We were dire under Lambert, but still managed to stay up.  I think we are a better side than then, but we did have Benteke back then, who was a real threat and we haven't got anything close to him at the moment. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #347 on: September 29, 2019, 12:14:54 AM »
I have a horrible feeling we are shaping up for one of those 'plucky losers, came and tried to play the game the right way, but went straight back down' relegations.

It's much better than our last relegation, which was a comedy one, mind.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #348 on: September 29, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
I honestly can't remember how we stopped up during those Lambert seasons; all I know is that somehow we did. That's what I'm hoping for this time around, because quite honestly I don't have the stomach for a promotion battle again. Just work it out, Smith, ffs.

Was thinking about that during the game today.  We were dire under Lambert, but still managed to stay up.  I think we are a better side than then, but we did have Benteke back then, who was a real threat and we haven't got anything close to him at the moment. 

Benteke of 2013/14 in this team would see us upper mid table now for sure.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #349 on: September 29, 2019, 12:19:16 AM »

Benteke of 2013/14 in this team would see us upper mid table now for sure.
agree
Makes a hell of a difference having a player as good as he was.
I think we are in trouble and Smith is worrying me because he seems a bit stuck.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #350 on: September 29, 2019, 12:34:32 AM »
It’s because we have no striker options. Kodja being injured leaves only Davis. If Smith sticks with 4-3-3 he has to play Wesley who lacks consistency along with AEG and Trez.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #351 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
It’s because we have no striker options. Kodja being injured leaves only Davis. If Smith sticks with 4-3-3 he has to play Wesley who lacks consistency along with AEG and Trez.
Davis showed more in 10 minutes than Wesley in nearly 90.
Davis has to be given a chance.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #352 on: September 29, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »
Not that worried yet. We've shown we're capable (despite obvious quality issues in key areas), but we do need to improve.

The next 6 league games have 4 games we should be looking to get points from. 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses would see us on 1 point per game of 13 from 13.

It's not ideal but if we can stay around that ratio until January hopefully we can get some short term signings to keep us up. We should be looking at Premier League proven players now (ahem Batshuayi and Damarai Gray), who can come in and make an impact.

My main concern is that the bottom 3 are the teams with the worst forwards. Watford have Welbeck and Deeney to come in, and above us Norwich have Pukki and Southampton have Ings who look capable to score enough to keep them up.

Trezeguet improved from the bench so that's a positive. Anwar looked good. Wesley needs to improve but there are positives. Just need to stay with it, and should we go down we should stick with Smith (unless something changes wildly.

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #353 on: September 29, 2019, 08:12:47 AM »
I’m not worried about any aspect of the team apart from our striker situation (which is obviously a concern).

What’s the situation with free agents and is there anyone still out there we can look to get an hour out of at least?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:55:18 AM by OzVilla »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #354 on: September 29, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »
We're one point off 17th, (which effectively should be our target).
We're 3 points off 11th (and being above Man Utd).
One draw behind Norwich, one win behind Sheffield United.
If we'd not lost all those points from winning positions we'd have another 8 and be third.

Basically this is absolutely not the time to panic. We're giving away silly goals but we can, and will, get better.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #355 on: September 29, 2019, 08:55:49 AM »
I’m not worried about any aspect of the tram apart from our striker situation (which is obviously a concern).

What’s the situation with free agents and is there anyone still out there we can look to get an hour out of at least?

I occasionally wonder if typos are deliberate to take threads off track into punathons.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #356 on: September 29, 2019, 09:27:15 AM »
I’m worried, but not panicking. I see much good in the team. We are a million miles away from where we were last two seasons on this league.

But, the  bottom line is we’re in the bottom three with nearly a quarter of the season gone. We haven’t had, on paper, a hard start. We need to win home games against the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley  and a 10 man West Ham  really). Mistakes get punished instantly in this league, and it’s costing  us dearly.

I just hope we are learning and improving enough to be ok. It’s hopefully looking like Watford will be the team that will struggle all season, leaving us needing to be better than two other teams. Fingers crossed we will be.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #357 on: September 29, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
I'm not too worried either. We were never going to come out of the blocks firing and we've had our fair share of bad luck but we've also not helped ourselves either. I think we'll be fine.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #358 on: September 29, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »
I always worry when I see a Villa side that collectively shits itself when under the slightest bit of pressure.

We already look like a team that doesn't know how to see a game out and get a win. The fans already expect us to lose a lead, and the players look like they're in the same frame of mind.

Can Smith change that around?

Offline FatSam

« Reply #359 on: September 29, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
I’m not too worried. I think that if we had the striker options that we all (including DS) knew we needed in the summer, then we would be comfortably mid-table now. It is important not to panic, as to throw everything out of the window when it’s very close to clicking, would be idiotic. However, it is critical that we are still in touch by January, so that the season is not a write-off, and it is worth signing a striker in the window. Our last season in this division started similarly to this one, but we then hardly picked-up any more points until January I think. It feels like from now until January is what will define our season - it could go either way, but I think staying positive, and doing what we currently are (in broad terms) is the best course of action. That doesn’t mean not trying Davis or Kodjia instead of Wesley or similar tweaks, and closing down games better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal