collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 220037 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2019, 05:31:55 PM »
Yes because we’re continuing to make the same sort of mistakes.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
I think back to the relegation season and a lot of the games blur into one mass of utter shit. But I remember winning the opener at Bournemouth and thinking we'd be okay, and eventually getting that home win against Palace in January or whenever it was, and knowing it was a blip. Right now I'm considering the Everton match and trying to work out whether it's a Bournemouth moment.

Offline myf

« Reply #332 on: September 28, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »
This is by no means a certain-doom prediction, but we've taken 2 points from Bournemouth, West Ham and Burnley at home, and 0 points away. I think we're a good side, but at the moment I don't think we're better than 3 other sides in this division.

at the moment we're the third worst team in the prem

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #333 on: September 28, 2019, 06:53:31 PM »
I honestly can't remember how we stopped up during those Lambert seasons; all I know is that somehow we did. That's what I'm hoping for this time around, because quite honestly I don't have the stomach for a promotion battle again. Just work it out, Smith, ffs.

Lambert's first season actually reminds me very much of this one.

At the time it was seen as promising summer window but we still signed largely a number of unknowns who lacked prem experience. We were in games just as we are now but were struggling to score and get wins on the board.

Were in bottom 5 pretty much first half of the season and then that nightmare December run happened and we look dead and buried after that.

There's always a way to stay up. January window is looking huge. We can't gamble on signing more project players, we have enough of those at the club.

Need 2 experienced and proven final third players on loan or here full time. Plenty on fringes of top sides will want to go and play week in week out with Euro 2020 so don't buy any argument we couldn't sign them.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #334 on: September 28, 2019, 06:57:04 PM »
This is by no means a certain-doom prediction, but we've taken 2 points from Bournemouth, West Ham and Burnley at home, and 0 points away. I think we're a good side, but at the moment I don't think we're better than 3 other sides in this division.

Completely agree that we should be targeting more points from those games, and I would obviously be more concerned with our results and performances, but I can imagine that fans of a few other teams around us probably thinking something similar (with some similar fixtures):

Brighton - 2 points from West Ham, Burnley and Southampton at home

Newcastle - Draws against Watford and Brighton at home

Watford - Zero points from West Ham and Brighton at home

Norwich - Zero points or goals against West Ham, Burnley and Palace away

Even heard two Everton fans on a phone in (not the best place to gauge an opinion granted) last week saying they couldn’t think of three teams that had been worse than them  this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #335 on: September 28, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
I think back to the relegation season and a lot of the games blur into one mass of utter shit. But I remember winning the opener at Bournemouth and thinking we'd be okay, and eventually getting that home win against Palace in January or whenever it was, and knowing it was a blip. Right now I'm considering the Everton match and trying to work out whether it's a Bournemouth moment.

Start of that season we had WBA, Swansea, Stoke, Sunderland, Watford and West Ham as home games up to January. We managed 2 points from that.

Blunt truth is to stop up you need to average around 25-30 points from home games over a season. If you can't beat enough bottom half teams than that dosen't half put some pressure to get a shock win or two.

Given our dismal record v likes of liverpool, Arsenal and of course Man. United on our turf it's not an advisable tactic for us.

Offline danno

« Reply #336 on: September 28, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »
Agree it is a bit like Lambert's first season, funnily enough though I don't think Yacouba Sylla would improve our midfield as much as he did those first few months he was here.

Genuinely can't remember who we had playing next to Vlaar. Was it  Clark ? 

Actually think only the 2012 Agbonlahor and Benteke would get into today's team.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2019, 07:05:37 PM »
Agree it is a bit like Lambert's first season, funnily enough though I don't think Yacouba Sylla would improve our midfield as much as he did those first few months he was here.

Actually think only the 2012 Agbonlahor and Benteke would get into today's team.

Yes Clark was regular that year at CB. Full back were Lowton and mainly Bennett with cameos from Lichaj/Enda Stevens/Baker.

Midfield was pretty poor for much of the season until the run in when Delph-Westwood-Sylla did a good job covering ground for the front three.

I think we had much better options than we did in defence and midfield back then. Can't say the same about final third though.

Offline danno

« Reply #338 on: September 28, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »

Yes Clark was regular that year at CB. Full back were Lowton and mainly Bennett with cameos from Lichaj/Enda Stevens/Baker.

Midfield was pretty poor for much of the season until the run in when Delph-Westwood-Sylla did a good job covering ground for the front three.

I think we had much better options than we did in defence and midfield back then. Can't say the same about final third though.

Yeah, although I'm perhaps being overly harsh on Vlaar and Delph.

I Definitely wouldn't fire up the delorean for the fullbacks or GK though!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:15:33 PM by danno »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2019, 07:14:00 PM »

Blunt truth is to stop up you need to average around 25-30 points from home games over a season. If you can't beat enough bottom half teams than that dosen't half put some pressure to get a shock win or two.

Given our dismal record v likes of liverpool, Arsenal and of course Man. United on our turf it's not an advisable tactic for us.

Admittedly I’m trying to look at things in a positive light, but we are averaging what, a shade under 24 points over the season currently, so not far off that target.

Yes, we have the toughest fixtures to come, but we have also played two teams many expected to finish in the top eight this season, so have a decent amount of ‘bottom half’ teams to play at home still.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #340 on: September 28, 2019, 07:15:58 PM »
Actually just checked back. In Lambert seasons and McLeish year we only averaged about 20 points over the season at VP so I probably set back a little too high and we're on course to beat that.

Need to start picking up some points on the road starting in Norfolk.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #341 on: September 28, 2019, 07:41:01 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn’t be too concerned with our home form just yet. Disappointed that we haven’t taken a couple of good opportunities to register more points, but not particularly worried.

Would definitely be nice for the squad to get a result away from home, for their confidence and belief to do so if nothing else. However, the three teams we have played away have only lost a single home game between them so far, so definitely easiest games to come there.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
Tonight we are 16 points behind Liverpool. I am beginning to think we will struggle to catch them😏

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #343 on: September 28, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
Tonight we are 16 points behind Liverpool. I am beginning to think we will struggle to catch them😏

Leave the room. We need believers.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #344 on: September 28, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »
The positive thing is that we're not being royally fucked over every week. We're in games but stupid errors cost us.

We can do this. And I believe we will.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal