collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219804 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #195 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
A little concerned as to where our goals are going to come from on tonight's showing.

A bit depressing that the thing that’s fucking us is the exact thing everyone said would fuck us at the start of the season. I wanted to be proved wrong about that, as I hoped we were being run by super smart people.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2019, 11:18:08 PM »
I am a bit concerned

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2019, 11:18:10 PM »
Our corner count must be really low this season. Pretty sure the Everton and Spurs games we didn't have any and can't imagine we had that many v Palace when down to 10 men.

Tonight all I can remember is one in first half we took very quickly and one right at the end when West Ham defender nearly scored an OG. When you're struggling to create much from open play then set plays become pretty important. We scored loads from them last season but hardly getting any corners to work with this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2019, 11:59:27 PM »
Amazed we've had as many as 14, majority of those must've come in the Bournemouth game when we had a decent amount.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2019, 12:08:30 AM »
I think most of us felt that despite what seemed to be a very productive summer in the transfer market the one worry was that we should have signed another striker. We might regret not signing Maupay.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2019, 12:31:09 AM »
The lack of attacking options continues to be a big problem.  Wesley is no where near the finished article, and at the moment just looks like a big lump holding the ball up.  El Ghazi is poor at this level, and Jota is lightweight and mostly ineffective.  Bringing Davis on isn't ever going to lead to many goals I fear.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2019, 12:38:57 AM »
Yes, part of Wesley’s issue is the formation, he’s really isolated up there on his own.

I want to find a way to get Marvelous and Douglas in the team at the same time., if that means moving Jack higher up the pitch, so be it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:20 AM »
Yes, part of Wesley’s issue is the formation, he’s really isolated up there on his own.

I want to find a way to get Marvelous and Douglas in the team at the same time., if that means moving Jack higher up the pitch, so be it.

Jack absolutely should be higher up the pitch.  I'd also like to see Luiz and Marvelous start, so would think about moving Jack further up instead of either El Ghazi or Jota, both of whom were pretty crap tonight.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2019, 12:53:30 AM »
After tonight, yes.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2019, 08:03:12 AM »
After tonight, yes.

Welcome to the dark side

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2019, 08:23:39 AM »
We are going to regret not buying another striker

To currently have the options of Wesley and Davis is nowhere near enough.

Our build up play is also so slow and predictable.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2019, 08:49:04 AM »
We are going to regret not buying another striker

To currently have the options of Wesley and Davis is nowhere near enough.

Our build up play is also so slow and predictable.

It’s still too early to judge this team as it’s so new and Dean will need time to turn them into a team rather than a set of individuals. The problem is that the PL doesn’t give you any time and the worry is he starts tinkering and panicking but I suspect he will stick to his principles. Does anybody know how wedded he has been to this 433 at his previous clubs?

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
Already 9 point away from Liverpool after 5 games....not acceptable.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2019, 09:03:31 AM »
I'm not panicking as I still think we're a decent side with a good manager.  But I do think it will be touch and go - I'm not sure there are three worse teams than us.  I still think we'll be somewhere between 15 -19.  Right now if I was another relegation candidate I'd be looking at Villa as a team we'd hope to finish above.

I've always putting all our eggs in the Wesley basket was a huge risk and it's clear we are short of a striker and winger.  I just hope we can stay with the pack until January and strengthen then.

With all that said I do think there will be some games where we click and things would change very quickly if we could put a bit of a run together.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
Difficult match to assess last night.

I thought the central defensive pairing looked excellent last night. Guilbert was excellent as well, although he was caught out a couple of times pushing forward. I thought Taylor was fine defensively and Heaton untroubled all night. In the middle Marvellous was excellent I though apart from his one horrendous cross field pass, Grealish and McGinn weren't on it, although McGinn worked so so hard. Jack was forcing things too much although at times his options were limited. Out wide we really struggled, and Wes just doesn't have the pace to worry defenders. I thought he showed his strength really well with some excellent pinged passes out wide, but he just looks clumsy at times.

Long hard season ahead, which we knew it would be, but I cant see us scoring many goals which is a real worry.

Tempo of the games are noticeably quicker than last season, with better touches from most players. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal