collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:34:31 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Gareth
[Today at 08:27:22 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:26:47 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 220066 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2019, 09:42:00 AM »
Jesus. 11 pages.

To answer the original question, an emphatic 'No!'. Though I'm slightly concerned we're letting Liverpool get too big an advantage so early. Beat them twice though and the gap's just 3 points.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »
Another resounding no from me. I think we have to hold our nerve a bit. If we allow that tension to creep in, it'll be evident at Villa Park and could affect player confidence. We've a long season ahead and we've shown signs of playing excellent football. We're definitely here to compete and that may mean a spanking or three along the way, and we are learning but I'm certain we will be okay.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »
Another resounding no from me. I think we have to hold our nerve a bit. If we allow that tension to creep in, it'll be evident at Villa Park and could affect player confidence. We've a long season ahead and we've shown signs of playing excellent football. We're definitely here to compete and that may mean a spanking or three along the way, and we are learning but I'm certain we will be okay.

+1

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »
We need to create more chances

Offline supertom

« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
We're not poor. We've not been totally outplayed by anyone. It was always going to take a good 10-15 to get into full swing. We just need patience. We also need to eradicate gifting the opposition. Silly sendings off, silly mistakes. The break gives us time to sit and reflect on addressing this and Smith getting tough. I'd like to see Grealish as one of the front 3 rather than midfield 3, because he'll affect things further up and we can put more presence in our midfield. Hourihane should come back in because he's a goal threat. In fact he's more of a threat than anyone else in the midfield probably. Luiz or Marvellous to sit and hold.

We envision Grealish, or Smith does, as a number 10. That's not happening in the current formation. He's more an 8 and he doesn't suit it. Where-as if you look at Liverpool as an example, they play three up top, and almost like 3 10's. No one is particularly wide, or focal.  I'd have Grealish on the left. He's then got the ability to take it down the line, or come in field and instigate things. CH or JM could have a bit of licence to pull wide to give some width if needed (more so if Taylor played over Targett say).

We didn't particularly warrant a point but we were robbed of a perfectly good goal. 4 points and 11th and we'd be quite happy I think. 3 points and bottom 3. It's too early to worry. We're fine margins at the moment. Defensively we're solid enough. The attack will come but for that we need our most effective players playing, and Conor offers too much to be playing on the bench. Not least set pieces. 

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
If Jack Grealish's goal vs Crystal Palace had stood, as it should have, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Offline ez

« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2019, 04:24:58 PM »
Well we're not nearly as bad as when we went down.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
I am more concerned that Dean appears to have changed his game plan to one of sitting back and counter attacking.  There is constant pressure on the defence and when we do break we are nowhere near quick enough against mostly very athletic opposition.  4-2-3-1 - give the four licence to go forward more.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2019, 07:28:14 PM »
I am more concerned that Dean appears to have changed his game plan to one of sitting back and counter attacking.  There is constant pressure on the defence and when we do break we are nowhere near quick enough against mostly very athletic opposition.  4-2-3-1 - give the four licence to go forward more.

I do agree with this.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2019, 10:39:17 PM »
Yes, midfield and attack are a serious worry.

Midfield will be fine in time. I personally think McGinn with Engels have been comfortably our best two players so far. You've seen Luiz have some good games so more to come from him and Jack of course. Also get Nakamba in there soon.

It's the three forward positions that are the big issue. Nothing convincing to replace Wesley and whoever plays out wide is lacking consistancy e.g. Jota superb v Everton then we hardly see him down at the Palace.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2019, 10:54:31 PM »
one of Jota, el Gharzi or Trez need to play well enough to make that position there own until that happens we will keep chopping and changing because none of them have been consistently good enough yet to chose between them

i know its early days but i'd like to see one of them nail down that spot

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2019, 09:33:45 PM »
If Jack Grealish's goal vs Crystal Palace had stood, as it should have, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Jack didn't score, twas Lansbury

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2019, 09:49:17 PM »
No. New team, many players new to English football... patience please.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
No. Not worried.Players still getting accustomed to it all and there is plenty of time for all concerned.

Offline tim

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
No, not worried just slightly disappointed so far. Hard to expect great things from the start but I had a feeling we might have got a little more from the games we've played. Long way to go and they do look more impressive then the results/points suggest though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal