collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219843 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
The next 5 league games will show us how much we need to worry imo. West Ham, Burnley and Brighton at home, Arsenal and Norwich away.

Seven points, which will leave us with 10 from a possible 21. I'd put that as somewhere between okay and not okay.

Considering the teams we would have played, that will be relegation form.

Think we'll only get 5. Draws v West Ham and Burnley and win Brighton. Would say something at Norwich but our record there has been dismal since Lambert got sacked (that and Anfield were two away grounds he also turned into a mini Guardiola for the afternoon).

We just need to hang in until xmas. Think we can pick up some wins over xmas period and January and hopefully get in 2-3 more proven players to get us over the line.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »
After 4 games last season, the bottom three was West Ham, Burnley, and Newcastle. And they all had less than three points. None of them were relegated.

Let's see where we are after 10 games.

I like this stat. Good work 👍🏿

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »
Newcastle didn't win a game til November, if memory serves me right. And they still weren't bottom then!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2019, 08:59:50 PM »
No. Well, not yet anyway. Well, just a little. Sweet Caroline anyone?

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »
Points totals to stay up will be much higher I think. Doubt anyone will stay up on 35 points like Brighton did.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »
No. Well, not yet anyway. Well, just a little. Sweet Caroline anyone?

FUCK THE BLUES!

Sorry, couldn't help it. It's just so catchy!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2019, 09:49:37 PM »
It's too early to be worried to be honest.  I am concerned about where the goals are going to come from and also about the lack of physical presence in the centre of the park.  Silly errors are costing us dear at the moment.  Really poor defending cost us the goal with Mings over-stretching and Grealish smashing the clearance into Ayew.  The positives are that we haven't been walloped and seem capable of defending well.  I'd like to see Makamba and Luiz in the centre of the park together to allow Grealish and SJM to play further forward. I don't know whether Dean wants to experiment just yet though and he certainly doesn't strike me as one to panic. I think we will struggle but hopefully finish above the line rather than below it.  Those of us wanting to purchase more players in January may see those players decide to go elsewhere as they may not take the risk of a relegation battle, which may, ultimately see them in the Championship.  We'll see.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
I still think we'll eventually be OK. 16th. Just.

Offline Davkaus

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
we have no automatic right to beat just beat the ‘likes’ of anyone.
We are the new boys to this division, making a huge step up in class.

Well said.

I get the impression some people thought that after a decade of being very badly run, scraping promotion after a ridiculous run against the odds when we looked down and out last season, then basically signing a whole new team, that we'd roll back the clock and go back to being a comfortable PL team.

Being Aston Villa counts for sod all this season, it'll take a lot of bloody hard work to be able to look down on any PL clubs and put relegation out of our mind any time soon.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
What worries me more than the start is at least a couple of people already mentioning the J word, January. That suggests they think the current group isn't good enough to stay up. I think we need a bit of improvement as we will need to finish above at least 1, maybe 2, proven Prem teams (your Brightons/Newcastles/Southamptons) of this world, and at the moment they look a little bit streetwise and not exactly relegation fodder.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »
Not worried at the moment. Losing to Spurs away is pretty much par for the course for anyone not chasing the title. After that, we've played 3 mid table teams, beat one and lost to the other 2. To me, that suggests we're probably a way off qualifying for Europe right now but there's nothing at all to go off against the type of teams likely to be involved in a relegation battle.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
It’s all about small margins at the minute.

We were punished early on against Bournemouth for some silly mistakes which played into their hands and prevented us getting the points we were capable of getting.  We didn’t perform very well at Palace, but poor judgement sent us a man down and a referee mistake prevented us taking home a point.  A slight shift in fortunes could have seen us with 7 points from four.

On the other hand, had Everton taken their opportunities we could have lost that one too, and so a small shift in fortunes the other way could have left us with nothing so far.

What we need to see now is whether or not the team can push on and make these little improvements that will see us putting points on the board more regularly.  I think they are capable of it and Smith and his staff are capable of bringing it out in them.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »
It’s all about small margins at the minute.

We were punished early on against Bournemouth for some silly mistakes which played into their hands and prevented us getting the points we were capable of getting.  We didn’t perform very well at Palace, but poor judgement sent us a man down and a referee mistake prevented us taking home a point.  A slight shift in fortunes could have seen us with 7 points from four.

On the other hand, had Everton taken their opportunities we could have lost that one too, and so a small shift in fortunes the other way could have left us with nothing so far.

What we need to see now is whether or not the team can push on and make these little improvements that will see us putting points on the board more regularly.  I think they are capable of it and Smith and his staff are capable of bringing it out in them.

I think there are significant issues to be fixed by management this break. The football we are playing is really poor (including v Everton) and needs significant tactical adjustment to get more out of our two best players in midfield. When Grealish was out last season injured, Smith stuck rigidly to the same formation without success until he returned from injury. I hope he isn't going to repeat that mistake this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2019, 12:15:36 AM »
What worries me more than the start is at least a couple of people already mentioning the J word, January. That suggests they think the current group isn't good enough to stay up. I think we need a bit of improvement as we will need to finish above at least 1, maybe 2, proven Prem teams (your Brightons/Newcastles/Southamptons) of this world, and at the moment they look a little bit streetwise and not exactly relegation fodder.

It's too early to judge the new signings especially as 3-4 of them haven't even set foot on a premier league pitch yet.

I doubt i'm in the minority in  being hugely surprised on the last day of the window we didn't get in at least one more attacking player and that's the area of the pitch we've looked short so far. Not just with the 3 starting but a game turning option to bring off the bench. Looks even weaker with Kodjia unavailable since the first game.

We will sign on in January. Dosen't have to be 20m player, could be player who is out of favour and signs on loan. Many clubs have done that and stayed up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2019, 12:23:44 AM »
We will sign on in January.

With a pen in our hands?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal