collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 220036 times)

Online Taylor

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
The straw that i’m clinging to is that we haven’t been totally outplayed by anyone yet. I seem to remember in our relegation season, that this happened pretty much every week.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »
The straw that i’m clinging to is that we haven’t been totally outplayed by anyone yet. I seem to remember in our relation season, that this happened pretty much every week.
Are you sure ?

Online Taylor

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »
The straw that i’m clinging to is that we haven’t been totally outplayed by anyone yet. I seem to remember in our relation season, that this happened pretty much every week.
Are you sure ?
About which bit? Being outplayed or it happening every week. Perhaps I just remember the bad days of that season, but I think there were a lot.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
No.
3 points separate 7th from 19th.
Enjoy the ride with just 4 games in. After 9-10 games things will become clearer and then we'll know what kind of roller-coaster we're on.
UTV!

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2019, 03:56:32 PM »
No. Expected 4 maybe 5 points at this stage.

We have neither of those so saying "no" makes no sense.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
Not worried yet. Fully expected a difficult start.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
Early days yet but yesterday’s defeat really grates and we’ve now got two week to stew on it.

That said, perhaps two weeks for Smith and his team to reflect and reset might come at a good time. We need to change the shape, lose a winger, push Jack further forward and get some more strength in midfield. Then we need to work on moving possession from midfield to attack far more quickly and getting more runners to support Wesley.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2019, 04:09:39 PM »
No, early days, keep the faith UTV

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »
Are you sure ?
About which bit? Being outplayed or it happening every week. Perhaps I just remember the bad days of that season, but I think there were a lot.
I have not seen every minute of every game but we have had long periods of being outplayed or over run including yesterday.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
A lot of the other established prem clubs look far more athletic and stronger than us, and Greater than I remember from when we were there last

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
We were outplayed for most of the second half against Spurs, and for the last half an hour it was like the Alamo.  Perhaps only to be expected given it was the first match back against one of the best teams in the Premier League.  Bournemouth was a decent performance, and we had ⅔ of the possession, only for the stupid mistakes to cripple us.  Everton swamped us for the first twenty minutes of the game and created a few good chances during the 90 minutes they should probably have scored from, but overall I thought we were the best team and looked very good.  Yesterday was abject, and made even worse by the sending off.

The plus points are the defence, as I don't think there's much wrong there and we have good strength in depth.  Even Taylor looks half decent.  The midfield has talent in it, but it just doesn't seem to be working at this higher level at the moment.  Luiz is clearly a very good player, but he's on the small side, and doesn't seem as physical or athletic as some of the enforcers other teams have.  Jack hasn't fully hit his stride yet, and McGinn seems to have too much to do.

The real worry for me is the front three.  Wesley will be a good player, but is going to take time to really get up to speed.  I'm not convinced at all that Jota and El Ghazi are good enough for the Premier League, and Trezeguet doesn't really seem deserving of his nick name at the moment.

Early days, but lack of goals from the front three is going to make sure we hang around the lower reaches until Christmas I reckon.  When January hits, I'd like to see another wide player but more importantly, a goal scorer coming in.  I think not bringing one in was the one misstep the management team made in the summer, but it was a big one.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2019, 04:44:04 PM »
Yes. We’re not going to score enough goals, and we’re way too lightweight in midfield.

100% correct. We'll be yo-yoing near the bottom of the table most like until we buy something that should have been a top priority this summer, another striker.

Going into your first PL campaign after being absent for three seasons with very limited forward options is negligence.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
4-2-3-1 needs to be the formation I think to get more presence in midfield. We’re not getting enough of the ball for Grealish and McGinn to be influential in the final third.
He needs to find a place for Hourihane in the side as well. He creates and scores too many goals to be a bit part player.
That formation will need our full backs to be bombing up and down - so tough on Taylor who’s done pretty well defensively.
Also think Davis will play a bigger role in that formation. He links really well with players coming towards him.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »
No, yes. I mean no; I mean yes. I don't know.

Online Taylor

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2019, 05:05:15 PM »
People make it sound so easy though. Just go and buy a striker, that’ll sort it, but a top striker is so hard to find plus also ridiculously expensive. I was at the game yesterday, unfortunately in the home stand with a Palace supporting mate, he is resigned to losing Saha in the Jan window, add to that the fact that benteke can’t buy a goal at the moment just highlights how hard it is to score goals in this league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal