collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34210 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2019, 09:31:17 PM »
I am off to bed now.  I will leave you with the opinion of a disappointed, tired old Villa fan.  If we had had Jed Steer in goal today we would not have lost that game.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
I thought it was more that Bournemouth were really professional in how they ran the clock down, they did it pretty much perfectly. The bastards.
Yes I said this to my ST neighbours at the time. I think they played out lat 10 mins (5+5) perfectly. Something we failed to do at Spurs last week.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #212 on: August 17, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
I think we will struggle to score goals.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #213 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »
Nothing has changed in 3 years in the prem league...shit refs and diva players. It always seems we have an honest bunch of players compared to the w-nkers we play. Luiz started naively, but improved and scored a cracker. We missed Conor today. Jack, John and Anwar all tried but were poor from deadball situations. I thought Wesley did ok, but maybe he's the type of striker who prefers someone playing close to him. Some have commented that our full backs failed to get crosses in. How about our wingers getting crosses in? Anwar was ineffective and although I like Trez I'm not sure he's a winger. He failed to beat the full backs on either side with speed. I think he could be more effective in the middle, floating and playing off Wes. Elmo got caught flat footed for the penalty situation, Besides that he did ok as did Taylor. On Friday though I'd go 4-1-3-2 and I'd like to see Fred and Targett start alongside Engels and Tyronne, to see what they can do. Then I'd like to see Luiz behind John, Jack and Conor. Wes and Trez up front. This won't happen of course but it may get the best out of our front players whereas on the evidence of today our front 3 were strangers to each other. VTID UTV!!

Offline Si

« Reply #214 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
My concern today, throughout the match villa seemed to give up the midfield. Luiz in front of the back four. Then  twenty yards of space  with a flat attacking front five all stood there waiting for the ball. No movement  to create space or bring defenders out. None offering the short pass. Luiz's  only pass was to the full backs , who then eventually put in an aimless cross.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #215 on: August 17, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
Good night Brian ....it will all look much brighter in the morning :)

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #216 on: August 17, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
Some of the reason for improvement in the 2nd half was Billing who was physically  dominating us in CM ( alot of it illegally and he should of been red carded )

Like Spurs we come across as very lightweight in the MF area , McGinns signature move of rolling players is less effective as they are just much better athletes than in the Championship.Goals look an issue as the front 3 don't look like they have enough goals in them which is why I think the 4-3-3 will need to be changed to a 4-2-3-1 ..you give Luiz someone alongside him so Jack and McGinn can play higher up the pitch.

Full backs today in terms of defending and keeping the ball were solid , but at this level you need more going forward from them.Taylor will never be the type to whip in a decent cross ,Elmo is slightly better but generally at hitting balls in from deep rather than getting close to the byline.

It will take time there is little experience at this level in the squad and in general its a young squad ( likely another reason the older heads in Elmo and Taylor have been retained for now )

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #217 on: August 17, 2019, 10:13:21 PM »
I would like to see Conor and Guilbert play against Everton, possibly in a 4-2-3-1

Heaton
Guilbert   Engels   Mings   Taylor
               Luiz      Conor
   Trez            SJM       Jack
                     Wes

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #218 on: August 17, 2019, 10:18:06 PM »
It will take time for this team to Gel I thought Luiz after one bad error played very well, Jack holds on to the ball far too long for this division and El Ghazi was poor. There is not enough forward line  pressure, Wesley may come good but it was a big gamble by Smith not to get a better option than Kodja or Davis. Not devastated but worry about where the goals are coming from.

Offline mike

« Reply #219 on: August 17, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »
I'm a proper miserable old Brummy and after fifteen minutes, I thought we had no hope of staying up BUT
1. Engels is solid, so is Tyrone, that's a good defensive partnership.
2. We're effectively playing our second choice full backs and they did OK for a lot of the game. Deans is slowly integrating new players into the old team and we will find which full backs work for us
3. Luiz has been in the UK and at Villa Park for a few weeks. He made a couple of shocking mistakes, but overall the bloke is absolutely top quality. He will be amazing as the season progresses.
4. Wesley grew as the game went on. I think he will be a powerful hold up player once he is used to England, the PL and Aston Villa.
5. John McGinn and Jack Grealish had it too easy in the Championship and are still getting used to players that are of the same quality as themselves. They will learn, in fact John is already learning pretty quickly. Jack needs to (and will) have a word with himself and get a grip.
6. Today was a bit freakish with a goal after a minute and a howler followed by a deflection plus a truly shocking refereeing performance (and I never normally blame the ref).
7. Most of our team are getting used to one or more of PL and England. They will settle and no one was shit today. Well, El Ghazi was pretty poor.
8. The one area we were poor was wing play. Again, we have options and Dean will sort it out.

I think we will have a few more worrying games ahead but we will grow and finish strongly, possibly with a new striker in January. I'm not worried about confidence if we lose a few more matches while things gel. The likes of Jack, John, Mings, Engels, Luiz, Wesley don't strike me as powder puff and nor does Dean Smith (or O'Kelly or Terry.) Think Burnley last year.

Today was truly shit, but we will be OK.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2019, 10:26:49 PM »
An awful start with two colossal cocktails ups for the goals. But they were merely the low points of other errors, such as Elmo flat footed for the ball leading to the penalty, Jack’s awful set pieces, inability to get close to support Wesley, Luiz seeming to be always on the point of having the ball nicked from him.....

We need to man up quickly - defensive errors, losing possession in midfield and being muscled out, failing to get enough crosses into the box - and realise that the premier league is less forgiving.

On the plus side, Wesley was better than last week, Luiz improved as the game went on and moved further forward, defensively Taylor was solid, and there were signs of good attacking play. And the fans stuck with the team, which was important. We need to grab something from Everton but at the moment I can’t see where the goals are coming from.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2019, 10:37:47 PM »
Some very brief highlights but we had serious chances to score and didn’t before Douglas did. And their second goal had so much luck about it along with the mistake.

https://twitter.com/avfcofficial/status/1162831467514400769?s=12

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2019, 11:19:39 PM »
Some positives but quite a few really worrying things from today.
On the positive side Engels looks the business, and Luiz started to look like the player city wanted to keep.
However, I will very surprised if El Ghazi makes it in this league, he looks totally out of his depth. Grealish also needs a kick up the arse.
We look incredibly light up front, truth be told. I did like bits of what i saw from Wesley, but he'll need time to get to grips with it, and i don't think we can afford that.
Also, considering how the wingers are playing we absolutely cannot continue with taylor at left back. It might be harsh as he's not done much wrong, but he offers nothing going forward.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:22:38 PM by Ger Regan »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2019, 11:32:56 PM »
We are bereft of goals and attacking threat. In this league you need a solid central defence and a goal scorer. We have the former but not the latter. The summer spending is starting to resemble buying a Rolls Royce and forgetting the tyres.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »
I love how our ambition after three years break out of 27 in this league has disappeared.  This is Fcukin Bournemouth at home.  The worst away travellers from last season.  I heard some other stat about them not winning their opening away game or something like that since 1997.  We have to win these games it’s that simple. 

I dont understand;

Signing Targett for £17m including add ons and not playing him.
Signing Guilbert playing him the entire pre season and not even including him in the 18 for the first two games.
Not buying an experienced proven premier league forward.
Throwing Jed Steer out with the bath water.

Since when did we actually have to be pleased with being plucky against Bournemouth who incidentally had a lot of first team player out injured today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal