collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34203 times)

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Missed Hourihane’s dead balls today. Free kicks, corners were pretty mediocre.

It’s a real dilemma for Dean. Luiz played well and is clearly a natural defensive midfield player but so many goals come from set pieces.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
it's too early ro tell definitively how any of these new players will turn out - but one thing our recruitment policy failed to address was experience, other than Heaton. One or two experienced outfield players would have given a better balance imo.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2019, 08:23:57 PM »
Yeah thats a great point re Hourihane actually. The corners were diabolical.

And that free kick on the edge of the box that El Ghazi skied was perfect for Hourihane.

But where could he play other than dropping Grealish/McGinn or Luiz which we wont.

Got Marvelous to be involved yet somehow too.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »
Yeah thats a great point re Hourihane actually. The corners were diabolical.

And that free kick on the edge of the box that El Ghazi skied was perfect for Hourihane.

But where could he play other than dropping Grealish/McGinn or Luiz which we wont.

Got Marvelous to be involved yet somehow too.

At the moment it feels like we got one too many in in midfield at the expense of a striker. I too would get Llorente if we could. Experienced and would chip in with goals.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #199 on: August 17, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
Yeah i must agree, the midfield and defense is more than strong enough to achieve this season.

Its up top there is a doubt overall, where its more about potential atm than actual quality.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #200 on: August 17, 2019, 08:48:42 PM »
I don’t think it’s a striker issue. We have plenty of goals in us - but McGinn and Jack need to get further forward in support Wes and that means we need strong FB who support Luiz in midfield when attacks break down.

IMO we should switch to 3-5-2 against Everton

Heaton
Engle Mings Hause
Guilbert McGinn Luiz Grealish Targett
Wes Trez

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #201 on: August 17, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »
Thought that we looked pretty decent in defence and midfield but as I feared, inept up front

After his two mistakes for the goals Luiz looked very good but by then it was too late, they were far better than us off the ball when they had overloads

Much to learn.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #202 on: August 17, 2019, 09:01:00 PM »
Just home - had to jump the train back north - didn't realise how many fans we have in the North West :)
Very disappointed today - all the plans out the window in the first 15 mins - I thought Heaton looked nervy and didn't look confident on crosses - likewise his kicking is poor.
Certainly Bournemouth looked  stronger and faster than us in the first 20 minutes -I thought Taylor was solid and Luiz improved after a sloppy first half - Wesley .........meh, but we shall see.
It's going to be a lot tougher than many of us imagined .....one thing we tend to forget is that we finished 5th in a poor Championship....Smith will have a massive job keeping us in this league.........accepting that the likes of Bournemouth are currently better than us is hard to swallow -  I think a fair few fans  thought that all we had to do was turn up today for the 3 points ....that was turned on its head in a few undisciplined moments ......Friday is going to be tough
I'd settle for 17 th now

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #203 on: August 17, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
I think our self inflicted problems are being exacerbated by some bad luck.   The second goal looked very unlucky with the big deflection then in off the post, the second this season to go in off Mings.  Then there was the double deflection where the ball landed right at Kane's feet for his first last week.  That said Cardiff had some bad luck with ref decisions and other things last season and look where they ended up.   

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #204 on: August 17, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
Just home - had to jump the train back north - didn't realise how many fans we have in the North West :)
Very disappointed today - all the plans out the window in the first 15 mins - I thought Heaton looked nervy and didn't look confident on crosses - likewise his kicking is poor.
Certainly Bournemouth looked  stronger and faster than us in the first 20 minutes -I thought Taylor was solid and Luiz improved after a sloppy first half - Wesley .........meh, but we shall see.
It's going to be a lot tougher than many of us imagined .....one thing we tend to forget is that we finished 5th in a poor Championship....Smith will have a massive job keeping us in this league.........accepting that the likes of Bournemouth are currently better than us is hard to swallow -  I think a fair few fans  thought that all we had to do was turn up today for the 3 points ....that was turned on its head in a few undisciplined moments ......Friday is going to be tough
I'd settle for 17 th now

Spot on (unfortunately)

There's a massive gulf between the 2 divisions and mistakes have cost us at least 2 points in 2 games.

I'd take 17th now but my heart still clings to the hope of higher.  It's early days and we aren't that far away.  One win, settle the nerves and it's a different ball game.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #205 on: August 17, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »
Surely what is happening is what predictably was going to happen. And we were better today for most of the game. And we will get better. And Jack will be better. And Wes will score. And Trez and AEG. This lot are still figuring it all out. We have players to come in and challenge those who get dropped. Heaton won’t make those mistakes often. There’s loads of evidence to back that up. Things will get better.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #206 on: August 17, 2019, 09:06:28 PM »
A very disappointing result, especially as I'm sure most of us had a home fixture against the team who finished 14th last year as a "should win".  But I'm optimistic given the performance.  We gifted them two goals from silly mistakes (it looked to me like Luiz had a call to leave the ball for the second, seemed a very strange 'leave' otherwise?), and it was always going to be hard from then on.

That said, having seen the way we played for the last 75 minutes, I'd back us to beat them then more often than not.  Yes, they've got some quality, but if we hadn't given them the start they had, would they have scored otherwise?

Clearly we need to be more clinical upfront, but I'd be far more worried if we weren't creating anything.  I've certainly seen us play much worse and win.

To those saying Bournemouth took their foot off the gas when they went ahead and that's why we had so much possession and so many shots - did you think that was the reason Tottenham had so much possession last week? That we'd taken our foot off the gas?  Maybe it was the same reason, and the team with the most possession was simply better for large parts of the game?

Still, you can't get away from it being a pretty crap result - but I'm far from despondent, knowing on another day we're more than capable of beating that side.  Something I certainly didn't feel last week.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #207 on: August 17, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Missed Hourihane’s dead balls today. Free kicks, corners were pretty mediocre.

It’s a real dilemma for Dean. Luiz played well and is clearly a natural defensive midfield player but so many goals come from set pieces.

I actually said to a mate before the game, we'd miss Hourihane's goal threat, given Luiz has never scored a league goal. Shows what I know.  But clearly Conor offers more to the team than the odd screamer...

Online Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #208 on: August 17, 2019, 09:17:22 PM »
I think our self inflicted problems are being exacerbated by some bad luck.   The second goal looked very unlucky with the big deflection then in off the post, the second this season to go in off Mings.  Then there was the double deflection where the ball landed right at Kane's feet for his first last week.  That said Cardiff had some bad luck with ref decisions and other things last season and look where they ended up.

you can say that again ! the championship is a much more competitive league anyway .

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #209 on: August 17, 2019, 09:18:55 PM »
I'm really concerned by the front three. All of them look powderpuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal