collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.  (Read 42972 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2019, 08:38:34 AM »
Let us see what Wes is like when we create a chance for him, not just firing the ball at him 5 yards above his head.

A few things disappointed me on Saturday, why did we keep aiming our goal kicks out to the Elmohamady (was this not a Bruce tactic), why were not capable of passing the ball out from the penalty area? also Hourihane is not a central, defensive midfield player, I did not know he was on pitch in the second half and Jota is not a wide midfield player, he does not have the pace to play that position, for me he is a similar type of footballer to Grealish, and therefore needs to compete with Grealish for a position in the team.

The amount of times we won the ball back and then 10 seconds later we gave the ball back to Spurs was so disappointing.

It will be interesting to see what team Dean picks for the Bournemouth game.

All of the issues you mention were down to the effectiveness of the high pressing game Spurs used. I doubt we will play a team more adept at it.
But pretty much all of the teams will play a version of it.
A steep learning curve, and when players like Wes do get the ball they have to make sure it sticks.
I wasn't particularly disappointed after the game; as long as the lessons are learned and adopted, quickly, it'll have been the best game we played.

Agree with all that.

It just surprised me the athleticism and physicality of their approach, not something we traditionally associate with a Spurs team.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:54 AM »
Let us see what Wes is like when we create a chance for him, not just firing the ball at him 5 yards above his head.

A few things disappointed me on Saturday, why did we keep aiming our goal kicks out to the Elmohamady (was this not a Bruce tactic), why were not capable of passing the ball out from the penalty area? also Hourihane is not a central, defensive midfield player, I did not know he was on pitch in the second half and Jota is not a wide midfield player, he does not have the pace to play that position, for me he is a similar type of footballer to Grealish, and therefore needs to compete with Grealish for a position in the team.

The amount of times we won the ball back and then 10 seconds later we gave the ball back to Spurs was so disappointing.

It will be interesting to see what team Dean picks for the Bournemouth game.

All of the issues you mention were down to the effectiveness of the high pressing game Spurs used. I doubt we will play a team more adept at it.
But pretty much all of the teams will play a version of it.
A steep learning curve, and when players like Wes do get the ball they have to make sure it sticks.
I wasn't particularly disappointed after the game; as long as the lessons are learned and adopted, quickly, it'll have been the best game we played.

Agree with all that.

It just surprised me the athleticism and physicality of their approach, not something we traditionally associate with a Spurs team.
What caught my eye was the fact that following almost every challenge/tackle etc. the ball repeatedly found itself at the feet of a spurs player.  The amount of time their players were tackled only to keep possession of the ball was incredible. I thought Danny Rose was excellent too.

Online danno

« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2019, 09:23:54 AM »
Easy to forget Spurs are the only reason Man City didn't do the quadruple last season. That's the calibre of the side we lost to.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
There is a small element of people who need to sit back and think about things.  To put Saturday into context, think back to eight months ago;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46766457

We've gone from being defeated hopelessly against newly-promoted Wigan away, to being 18 minutes from beating Champions League runners up Spurs away.  That's with four players starting both games.

Massive strides forward, more to come.  Can't wait till next Saturday with Villa Park rocking.  We have a good spine to this team, and everyone will be looking to develop and improve, and playing against Premier league teams week-in week-out will do that.

Proud of the lads, the fans, and the manager.   ;D

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »
Never intended to imply you were CL.  Apologies if you thought my observation was aimed at you.  One thing we should have learned over the last dozen horrible  years is to stop the Get Rid mentality shaping our future.

Even if players underperform the skill is to get value for them.   Fat Sam's milk bottles and pop bottles.
Agree Brian, saying-the jury is out is not writing them off, it is saying on there is not enough evidence to form a judgement.
I saw some nice touches from our new striker, I also saw a player who seemed surprised by the intensity of the game.
A lot is riding on him after seeing Kodija perform and Davis not even making the squad.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
From today's Graun, a fair appraisal I reckon: 

"8. Heaton looks a bargain among Villa’s many new faces
So how much does £130m buy you nowadays? Aston Villa fans began to find out after Dean Smith handed out four full debuts and two from the bench of his 12 new faces during this 3-1 defeat. There was Trezeguet, the Egyptian winger, who looked best attuned of all Villa’s forwards to the direct counterattacking Smith wanted from his team. At centre-half Bjorn Engels may not have controlled the means of production but was effective at disruption. Wesley Moraes was Villa’s least effective player and that will surely be a source of concern as – oddly given the sheer number of recruits at Villa Park – he was the only striker brought into the club. The Brazilian looked cumbersome, but also lightweight. Finally, there was Tom Heaton, amounting to just £8m of Villa’s summer spending. Not only did the keeper make two stunning saves – one on either side of his goal – but his handling, distribution and decision making were 100% Premier League proof. A bargain."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/12/premier-league-football-10-talking-points-weekend-action

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:06 AM »
Easy to forget Spurs are the only reason Man City didn't do the quadruple last season. That's the calibre of the side we lost to.

That and VAR.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
Well, if we are judging on Saturdays performance Jack is useless. Anonymous for most of the time and prone to errors when he does get the ball. Jota cant pass wind, Hourihane is the next Messi and Wesley is a busted flush. We are doomed to be propping up the league all season and will be relegated by Christmas.

On the other hand we competed with them in the first half - We looked sharp  and comfortable against a bloody good Spurs side.  There was creativity and a hell of a lot of hard work and we gave Poch a fair bit to think about. I think it was as much as us running out of steam as the tactical changes that turned it around for them.  We played enjoyable football and on another day with the rub of the green we could have easily got a result. Didnt help that Jack had a bit of an uncharacteristic stinker but we know how good he is.  I confidently expect us to hand out a few proper dickings this season as well as a few surprise results against the top 4.    Onwards and upwards!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »

That and VAR.

That and they'd still have had to beat Liverpool in the final.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #324 on: August 12, 2019, 11:17:35 AM »
Not to mention that SJM after the game said that they sat back too much under the pressure. They didn't want to play like that, just sometimes games get out of your control - and s first game back in the top flight, with a team still gelling, away at one of the next and most relentless sides on earth is an acceptable game to get out of your control.

Correct. Anyone thinking we'll be going to Man. City or Liverpool and taking them on at their own game obviously hasn't watched much of either last two seasons, it will be more defending on our 18 yard box and hoping for a good counter attack or two.

We can give likes of Arsenal and Chelsea good games though.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
And in that last sentence sums up how much we've progressed in the last 6 months. We've gone from piss poor, laughingly bad against Championship tripe to talking about giving Chelsea and Arsenal game.

It'll bloody do for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »
We gave Chelsea good games under Lambert (apart from the obvious one in December 2012!) It's the bare minimum when they seem to be shaping up as Derby B team.

Looking at their 11 yesterday it looks very beatable purely without Hazard's name.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2019, 11:48:56 AM »
On a slight diversion, nothing sums up the modern game than the picture of SJM, on his knees, celebrating his goal in front of the massed Spurs fans. Their reaction? Nothing, emotionless faces, staring empty eyed at our player, no visible anger, disappointment, remonstration or even open mouthed shock. There are even mild smiles that I want to put down to Villa fans in their end but is probably unlikely.

In know the white spittled, puce with anger faces of the furious fan can often be an unedifying sight but good lord, what have we become?

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2019, 11:52:25 AM »
On a slight diversion, nothing sums up the modern game than the picture of SJM, on his knees, celebrating his goal in front of the massed Spurs fans. Their reaction? Nothing, emotionless faces, staring empty eyed at our player, no visible anger, disappointment, remonstration or even open mouthed shock. There are even mild smiles that I want to put down to Villa fans in their end but is probably unlikely.

In know the white spittled, puce with anger faces of the furious fan can often be an unedifying sight but good lord, what have we become?

Haha, I was in the second box up from that end on the opposite sideline.  Silence when we scored, only to be interrupted by my very loud 'Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!' and fists raised high in the air.  I don't think they knew what to make of it to be honest.

Was particularly sweet as a Spurs fan in the box with us introduced himself to us and told us straight off they were going to beat us easily.  He sat in mostly silence for most of the match.   8)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »

Haha, I was in the second box up from that end on the opposite sideline.  Silence when we scored, only to be interrupted by my very loud 'Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!' and fists raised high in the air.  I don't think they knew what to make of it to be honest.

Was particularly sweet as a Spurs fan in the box with us introduced himself to us and told us straight off they were going to beat us easily.  He sat in mostly silence for most of the match.   8)

Where can i see the picture?

Think we were sat not far fom you.  A couple of Villa fans jumped up when we scored, and gave an almighty "yessssss".  That was all, nothing untoward whatsoever.  The wanker Spurs fans near them called the stewards over to try to get them ejected, which thankfully they did didn't.  Me and my daughter (aged 13) also cheered, to which the fat, permatanned wife of a bloke sat next to me said "you're faaaackin' brave aren'tcha?!"  Yes, as brave as you having a go at a teenage girl, you fat, sweaty Cockney ******.  They couldn't even argue that we shouldn't be in there, as I got my tickets directly from Spurs and openly said they were for Villa fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal