collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by LeeB
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: MOTD by The Edge
[Today at 01:51:57 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 01:46:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:44:19 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Smirker
[Today at 01:42:44 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 01:40:51 PM]

Re: VAR by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:39:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.  (Read 42982 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.
« Reply #330 on: August 12, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
On a slight diversion, nothing sums up the modern game than the picture of SJM, on his knees, celebrating his goal in front of the massed Spurs fans. Their reaction? Nothing, emotionless faces, staring empty eyed at our player, no visible anger, disappointment, remonstration or even open mouthed shock. There are even mild smiles that I want to put down to Villa fans in their end but is probably unlikely.

In know the white spittled, puce with anger faces of the furious fan can often be an unedifying sight but good lord, what have we become?

Haha, I was in the second box up from that end on the opposite sideline.  Silence when we scored, only to be interrupted by my very loud 'Yeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!' and fists raised high in the air.  I don't think they knew what to make of it to be honest.

Was particularly sweet as a Spurs fan in the box with us introduced himself to us and told us straight off they were going to beat us easily.  He sat in mostly silence for most of the match.   8)

Where can i see the picture?

Think we were sat not far fom you.  A couple of Villa fans jumped up when we scored, and gave an almighty "yessssss".  That was all, nothing untoward whatsoever.  The wanker Spurs fans near them called the stewards over to try to get them ejected, which thankfully they did didn't.  Me and my daughter (aged 13) also cheered, to which the fat, permatanned wife of a bloke sat next to me said "you're faaaackin' brave aren'tcha?!"  Yes, as brave as you having a go at a teenage girl, you fat, sweaty Cockney c***.  They couldn't even argue that we shouldn't be in there, as I got my tickets directly from Spurs and openly said they were for Villa fans.

It's part of Matt Maher's considered report on the E+S website.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #331 on: August 12, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
There was a few Villa in the the first tier of corporate by the away end.

I can see them having a few issues with West Ham or Arsenal given its proximity.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #332 on: August 12, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »
I'm not wishing for trouble or anything like that I was just flabbergasted at the lack of reaction from the Spurs fans which leads me to believe that there are more and more neutral fans attending games, particularly at these newer, larger stadiums. Nothing wrong with that of course, but the atmosphere will suffer.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2019, 01:35:48 PM »
I'm not wishing for trouble or anything like that I was just flabbergasted at the lack of reaction from the Spurs fans which leads me to believe that there are more and more neutral fans attending games, particularly at these newer, larger stadiums. Nothing wrong with that of course, but the atmosphere will suffer.

Think this is certainly true of a lot of the London clubs. The PL is such a global brand now that the all year round tourists that London attracts will certainly be attending many PL games whilst here.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #334 on: August 12, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »
Easy to forget Spurs are the only reason Man City didn't do the quadruple last season. That's the calibre of the side we lost to.

That and VAR.

Speaking of which I’m still baffled as to why VAR wasn't used to give us what appears to be a clear penalty

https://twitter.com/dvtavfc/status/1160840567905017862?s=12

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #335 on: August 12, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »
Spurs away is one of six fixtures everyone is going to struggle with this season.

If we play like that against the likes of Bournemouth, Brighton and Norwich, we'll be absolutely fine.

My only worry is that we look a bit light up top.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »
I didn't think it was a pen at the time and I still don't.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »

Think this is certainly true of a lot of the London clubs. The PL is such a global brand now that the all year round tourists that London attracts will certainly be attending many PL games whilst here.

Yes, and lots of students.

No disrespect to them, but I can't see the appeal of West Ham being enough to attract over 58k to finish mid-table unless they are getting lots of tourists with the added attraction of visiting the new stadium.  That's 24k more people per game than used to go see them play four seasons ago, without any improvement in league position.

If I am wrong then sincerest apologies to any Hammers out there!

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »

It was clumsy by the Spurs player and you’ve seen them given for a lot less. My question is why didn’t it go for review?

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2019, 01:49:16 PM »

It was clumsy by the Spurs player and you’ve seen them given for a lot less. My question is why didn’t it go for review?

It did I think, it came up on the screen there was a penalty review.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #340 on: August 12, 2019, 01:53:22 PM »
Easy to forget Spurs are the only reason Man City didn't do the quadruple last season. That's the calibre of the side we lost to.

That and VAR.

Speaking of which I’m still baffled as to why VAR wasn't used to give us what appears to be a clear penalty

It came up on the screens in the ground that it had gone to VAR for a penalty review, but it wasn't given.  They then had one for our player to be red-carded, but thankfully that was rightly not given as well.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #341 on: August 12, 2019, 01:55:15 PM »

To be honest I don't get why you are so surprised. It's the equivalent of Southampton scoring at VP in the 9th minute. I wouldn't be particularly angry disappointed or shocked. If Arsenal West Ham etc had scored that goal there'd have been a different reaction.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #342 on: August 12, 2019, 02:03:32 PM »

That and VAR.

It came up on the screens in the ground that it had gone to VAR for a penalty review, but it wasn't given.  They then had one for our player to be red-carded, but thankfully that was rightly not given as well.

Oh ok I missed that. And yes I suppose we dodged the Kodjia one.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »

To be honest I don't get why you are so surprised. It's the equivalent of Southampton scoring at VP in the 9th minute. I wouldn't be particularly angry disappointed or shocked. If Arsenal West Ham etc had scored that goal there'd have been a different reaction.

That would be my take on it too. It wasn't a do or die game for them, nor a key moment late on..

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
There is a small element of people who need to sit back and think about things.  To put Saturday into context, think back to eight months ago;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46766457

We've gone from being defeated hopelessly against newly-promoted Wigan away, to being 18 minutes from beating Champions League runners up Spurs away.  That's with four players starting both games.

Massive strides forward, more to come.  Can't wait till next Saturday with Villa Park rocking.  We have a good spine to this team, and everyone will be looking to develop and improve, and playing against Premier league teams week-in week-out will do that.

Proud of the lads, the fans, and the manager.   ;D

What a great post to keep all of our feet on the ground. I like many were disappointed on Saturday but considering where we were then to now is an incredible journey and it will only get better.
We can analyse goals to death and blame marking or defensive lapses - in reality sometimes you just have to admire the goal. Saturday was the same, as an unknown quantity we had them on the back foot for quite a while but in the end we have to accept that they were just better than us at the moment.
Their guy who scored the equalizer cost half the amount that we spent on an entire team - perspective

What I like about the Wigan piece is Dean Smith saying how it was  - no flannel and that it was not good enough and they will improve

Im sure he will have learned a lot and will improve us now as well

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal