collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Dunne  (Read 6383 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
John Dunne
« on: August 09, 2019, 04:06:03 PM »
Got talking to an old East End boy and he was telling me that an old mate of his with the above name had a season of two with Villa in the late 60s early 70s

Name didn’t mean anything to me. Anyone shed light?

Offline p_ad

Re: John Dunne
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 05:25:21 PM »
Played in goal early seventies , I remember him vaugely from when  my dad first started taking me down

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
He was a decent enough keeper, but not a fans' favourite particularly.  He kept goal in the League Cup Final v Tottenham in 1971, and throughout that season, but lost his place when we signed Jim Cumbes and never regained it. Played 118 games for us.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »
He was a decent enough keeper, but not a fans' favourite particularly.  He kept goal in the League Cup Final v Tottenham in 1971, and throughout that season, but lost his place when we signed Jim Cumbes and never regained it. Played 118 games for us.

My recollection is that he lost his place to Tommy Hughes who in turn lost his to Cumbes.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 05:59:24 PM »

My recollection is that he lost his place to Tommy Hughes who in turn lost his to Cumbes.

Ah, yes, I'm sure you're right.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:20:35 PM »
I remember him well.  He wasn't the worst I've ever seen play in goal for us.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 10:50:28 PM »

Thanks, he mentioned that’s he’d played in the FA cup final against Spurs which made me doubt the whole story

Thanks to all

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
He was the first Villa keeper I really remember, and played more games than Colin Withers, Evan Williams and Tommy Hughes in my very early supporting years.

I recall somebody posting here around 15 years ago that they had mentioned at their work in London they were a Villa fan and a female colleague mentioned that John Dunne was her dad.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 03:42:43 PM »
There was no 'e' on the end of his surname.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Remember him well.
John Dunn was at Colin Abbot's book launch a couple of years agao with Harry Gregory, I had a good chat to both of them.
Neither of them could believe anyone actually remembered them, very humble guys.
Sadly Harry passed away recently but John looked very well, tanned and healthy.
He was the League Cup final goalkeeper, signed by Tommy Doc I think, and he was not the biggest, but a good shot stopper.
Vic Crowe gave him a free transfer when we were relegated to the third, and he was replaced by Tommy Hughes.
He later made a decent career in the lower divisions, signing for Charlton.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 03:57:52 PM »

Correct mate

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams* were the two worst goalkeepers I ever saw play for the Villa.

*He was only on loan

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 07:20:21 PM »
A decent reliable keeper. He was between the sticks for both the Man U games in 70/71 doing his bit to keep the likes of Best, Charlton, Law out against a 3rd division side. For that alone he has his place in our history.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 07:32:21 PM »
Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams* were the two worst goalkeepers I ever saw play for the Villa.

*He was only on loan
I saw Tommy Hughes' last game for us our 1st round defeat in the FA Cup away at mighty Southend United a 1 - 0 defeat, a Bill Garner ??? strike.
We signed Jimmy Cumbes in the week who then made his debut the following week at Oldham in a 6-0 win.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 12:21:42 AM »
John Dunn was signed by Tommy Cummings in January 1968.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal