collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Premier League Rules  (Read 5001 times)

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: New Premier League Rules
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
Re your second paragraph.  Yes, it is nigh on impossible to watch both the defensive line and the oncoming wide player especially as the linesman in all probability will be running backwards, a point that shouldn't go unnoticed that running backwards isn't natural; if it was we would have reversable feet.

My point is, that football is not solely officiated with the eyes but with the ears also.  By which I mean that as a linesman in the scenario described you size up the situation and concentrate on the likely outcome: is the ball about to be crossed? or is the wide player about to be tackled?  In the first instance just concentrate on the cross going in and look for a possible offside, listen for the sound of the foot making contact with the ball and base any offside decision on that. 

In the second instance just watch for any foul tackle that may occur.  I'll just add that before anyone offers the speed of sound as a difference of opinion, football is not an exact science and once we get into the realms of the minutiae of it, then it's time to consign it's sorry arse to the bin.  Just my opinion of course.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »
Re your second paragraph.  Yes, it is nigh on impossible to watch both the defensive line and the oncoming wide player especially as the linesman in all probability will be running backwards, a point that shouldn't go unnoticed that running backwards isn't natural; if it was we would have reversable feet.

My point is, that football is not solely officiated with the eyes but with the ears also.  By which I mean that as a linesman in the scenario described you size up the situation and concentrate on the likely outcome: is the ball about to be crossed? or is the wide player about to be tackled?  In the first instance just concentrate on the cross going in and look for a possible offside, listen for the sound of the foot making contact with the ball and base any offside decision on that. 

In the second instance just watch for any foul tackle that may occur.  I'll just add that before anyone offers the speed of sound as a difference of opinion, football is not an exact science and once we get into the realms of the minutiae of it, then it's time to consign it's sorry arse to the bin.  Just my opinion of course.

Exactly, there is the human element to it and you have to accept there are times when even doing the best they can, humans don't get it exactly right all the time.  So it's harsh to punish a goalkeeper and their team for not being able to do something to the accuracy that VAR can now detect and use against them, just as it's harsh to blame a linesman for not being able to detect offside to the accuracy that VAR and tv replays can.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2019, 08:45:21 PM »
That's a very heated discussion for something they've already said VAR won't be used for...

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2019, 09:08:15 PM »
That's a very heated discussion for something they've already said VAR won't be used for...

Not a heated discussion at all, I was just explaining just how you operate as a linesman if you want to be a success at it and do your very best to minimise mistakes.  Having been there and done it I know just how difficult it can be.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »
All good for me bar a couple of niggles.

Firstly, the goal kick has already been exploited by a player flicking the ball up for the keeper to catch and then kick out of his arms. This needs to be stopped.  Secondly, there will be occasions where a genuine drop ball would need to be contested.  There should be an allowance for this.

The one rule/agreement I'd like to see is for all teams to accept that it's the ref's decision to stop play when a player is down.  It's coming far too frequent for teams to kick the ball out when a player has the slightest knock.  A lot of the times this is a ploy because they are boxed in and having the ball thrown back so they can start again is a better option.  Obviously it is also a tactic for teams looking to time waste as well.

Isn't that the backpass law rather than the goalkick? I thought there'd been contingency written into that since its inception that outlawed contrived "legal" backpasses, e.g. flicking it up for yourself to head or chest it back, or lying on the floor to head it.

Just checked before posting, it's a bookable offence
uses a deliberate trick to pass the ball (including from a free kick) to the goalkeeper with the head, chest, knee etc. to circumvent the Law, whether or not the goalkeeper touches the ball with the hands

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal