collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Charlton vs Aston Villa Pre season Match Thread  (Read 27465 times)

Offline danno

Re: Charlton vs Aston Villa Pre season Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
One tiny (very minor) thing from watching the Walsall and Charlton friendlies.

In both games Hourihane played a lazy sideways pass which got intercepted and gave the opposition a run at our back four.

He was probably motm in playoff final so not that worried, but mistakes like that will be punished at the highest level.

I'd hope it's just one of those things, it was just a bit disconcerting to see it happen two games in succession.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:10:41 PM by danno »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »
The main observation I have from watching the Walsall and Charlton games is that some players - mainly the squad fillers - will need to think more quickly and be ready to move the ball much more slickly in the top flight: they won't get the time on the ball that they're used to.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
The main observation I have from watching the Walsall and Charlton games is that some players - mainly the squad fillers - will need to think more quickly and be ready to move the ball much more slickly in the top flight: they won't get the time on the ball that they're used to.

One of the oddest things I read on here post-Wembley was that certain players would be better as they'd have longer on the ball in the PL than in the Championship.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2019, 03:27:22 PM »
Interesting. I was thinking I was struck by how generally intelligent our players are which maybe explains why the discrepancy with squad players seems more obvious like you say.

Watching passing and movement involving all the new players and AEG/SJM/JG/Mings there no more passes back to the opposition and hands on hips.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2019, 04:40:27 PM »
One tiny (very minor) thing from watching the Walsall and Charlton friendlies.

In both games Hourihane played a lazy sideways pass which got intercepted and gave the opposition a run at our back four.

He was probably motm in playoff final so not that worried, but mistakes like that will be punished at the highest level.

I'd hope it's just one of those things, it was just a bit disconcerting to see it happen two games in succession.

Yes, noticed and thought the same. I like Hourihane but it was very noticeable how loose he is with the ball some times.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
Had a great afternoon, sat with my brother in law in the home seats just behind Villa dug out.  What a great friendly club, really impressed.  Our fans turned up in numbers and of course were excellent, impressing the home fans, somewhat bewildered by the numbers.  At HT I thought we had looked like we lacked PL qu
ality, little cutting edge and was worried.  Turned it up several gears for 15 mins after HT and looked great, but we will have to play at that level all the time in the big league.  I think it might take some time to find our feet but we will be OK, lower mid table I think.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »
How much were tickets yesterday?  Was tempted to go but had to look after the nephew. Our record in London away games is pretty shite whichever division we're in. Coupled with the prices charged at those type of grounds, I think yesterday might prove to be one of the most satisfactory Villa games in London for the next 10 months. Fair play to those that went.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2019, 06:19:02 PM »
Tickets were 15 quid, a tenner for kids. Darren Woolley paid a few quid extra to watch it though....

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2019, 07:34:25 PM »
That Daz, a scoundrel by all accounts, despite all the football autobiogs he reads.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2019, 09:22:36 PM »
Had a great day. Met up with my old mates from Lloyds Bank at the Doggett's  and visited other hostelries on route.
The match: we were very slick in attack. Not convinced about the defence, but that is how DS rolls.
One thing for sure:it will not be boring.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #310 on: July 29, 2019, 10:30:10 AM »
Tickets were 15 quid, a tenner for kids. Darren Woolley paid a few quid extra to watch it though....

I know well worth it though lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal