collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvelous Nakamba - gone  (Read 161369 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Marvelous Nakamba - confirmed
« Reply #720 on: November 21, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
I thought he did quite well but we need better in there. If you're going to become a possession side then 37% of it at home shows we're a way off. - its not like we scored early and they were chasing the game. I mean possession isn't everything as the scoreline shows but still....

I know, I know, but there does come a point where there's only so much you can do when the other side are almost prepared to tuck the ball under their arm and bugger off home if that's what it takes to stop you getting a kick of it. I think Potter's becoming trapped inside his own ideological triangle.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #721 on: November 21, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
I think the whole team was told to be a lot tighter in possession yesterday, and not give the ball away stupidly. Only Super John didn't seem to get the memo, but he was great again so we'll let him off. Nakamba just did the simple things well, and wasn't it his pass to Young that started our attack that led to the first goal?

Yes, his contribution to the goal was key. He intercepted a dangerous Brighton cross near our 6 yard box and then brought it out and played a simple ball to Young His composure in that moment was impressive. It would have been easy for him to just clear it.

I like his combativeness. He was good yesterday.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #722 on: November 21, 2021, 01:10:36 PM »
Thought he was ok, but not quite “good”. His positioning was pretty good and he got his foot in, but he’s a bit lightweight and often didn’t come away with the ball despite being on the right place at the right time. His passing accuracy was good, and he was great for Watkins’ goal, but too often it’s a pass backwards to the centre backs which looks good on the stats but doesn’t really do much when you’re at 0-0.

He’s not a liability and seems quite a likeable chap, but I just can’t see enough in him to suggest he can be the base of a top 8 / top 6 midfield.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #723 on: November 21, 2021, 01:51:46 PM »
My concern with him has always been the reading of the game more than anything else. Yesterday he was a little better and the first goal was down to him doing exactly the job he's there for. If he starts doing that side of things more often I'll be much less nervous about him being in there.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #724 on: November 21, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »
Yesterday it was like he watched Bissouma for half an hour and realised that is the role he should be playing for us, by the end he was on that level. I'm sure we keep more clean sheets with him in the team on average.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #725 on: November 21, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
He was poor in the first half but got better as the game progressed.

Offline achilles

« Reply #726 on: November 21, 2021, 02:31:25 PM »
I don't think people will ever be satisfied with the job he does, as it is a thankless job breaking up play and it often involves getting a foot in but potentially not having/getting control of the ball.

We are a much worse side without him and we have nobody else who can do his thankless job!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #727 on: November 21, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »
I don't think people will ever be satisfied with the job he does, as it is a thankless job breaking up play and it often involves getting a foot in ... and we have nobody else who can do his thankless job!
Apart from Douglas?

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #728 on: November 21, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
My favourite moment from him yesterday was when Brighton were faffing about with the ball 35+ yards from our goal and we were all in our box. Then out nowhere, Nakamba just explodes out faster than Steve Bruce in Fifa 22 and wins the ball. Very much a "where the hell did that come from?" moment.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #729 on: November 21, 2021, 05:46:30 PM »
My concern with him has always been the reading of the game more than anything else. Yesterday he was a little better and the first goal was down to him doing exactly the job he's there for. If he starts doing that side of things more often I'll be much less nervous about him being in there.

His involvement in our first goal yesterday was top class. Intercepted the cross, composure to bring it clear and passing it to Young. The whole goal was quality but Nakamba really started it.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #730 on: November 21, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »

His involvement in our first goal yesterday was top class. Intercepted the cross, composure to bring it clear and passing it to Young. The whole goal was quality but Nakamba really started it.

Yep, and that's exactly what I want in a DM, read the play, win the ball and start a counter attack. The best of them will do something like that 6-7 times in a game almost every week, Rice in particular is a master at it.  If they add goals and long ranging passes on top then great but that's window dressing for me.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #731 on: November 22, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »

Yep, and that's exactly what I want in a DM, read the play, win the ball and start a counter attack. The best of them will do something like that 6-7 times in a game almost every week, Rice in particular is a master at it.  If they add goals and long ranging passes on top then great but that's window dressing for me.

And he can do that, it's just the other side like when we took a short free kick to him in the first half and he shit himself and gave up the ball under the slightest pressure.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #732 on: November 22, 2021, 09:14:30 AM »
I think one of Nakamba's biggest weaknesses is that he can't or won't run with the ball. When we got that hiding off West Ham, both Soucek and Rice loved driving forwards. It draws midfielders and defenders out of position when you've got players like that. Ramsey is great at it to be fair.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #733 on: November 22, 2021, 09:19:41 AM »
Marv sometimes breaks up play like he's Kante but then turns into Brad Guzan when the ball's at his feet.

I think that Ramsey could be an option long-term in that holding role.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #734 on: November 22, 2021, 09:57:29 AM »
Marv sometimes breaks up play like he's Kante but then turns into Brad Guzan when the ball's at his feet.

I think that Ramsey could be an option long-term in that holding role.

I want us to train Chuk to do it, every time I've seen him it's convinced me more that he could be perfect for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal