collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvelous Nakamba - gone  (Read 161285 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
Re: Marvelous Nakamba - confirmed
« Reply #330 on: October 06, 2019, 08:51:33 PM »
I’m a lover of this site but rarely post. However, this has made my blood boil. I had the misfortune to witness the Konsa song being sung about 2.40 and felt embarrassed. Had I heard this latest offering I would have exploded with anger. In particular, to not understand the racist implication of the “master” reference you’d have had to have been living on the moon for the past 50 years. As an aside, I spotted the twat in that video in the (fake) Burberry scarf and navy baseball cap verbally abusing a Norwich fan on the other side of the fence at full-time, shouting “you saggy faced old c#nt” repeatedly. And the age of the target of his foul-mouthed abuse ? Must have been 70 if he was a day. Sometimes I despair at what this country has become......

Sad to read this. There has to be a balance of us pulling each other up, but sometimes (perhaps faced with such mindless aggression, possibly substance fuelled) we are going to need stewards to step in, and have read (hopefully old) stories of this not happening. This feels like material for fans forum/a meeting with the club?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #331 on: October 06, 2019, 09:01:39 PM »
Whatever it was we paid for him already looks a bargain doesn't it? 

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #332 on: October 06, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
Ok I just consulted chantwatch thread...

Nice to hear Wesley and Marvelous getting recognition for fine performances yesterday with new chants. And there was definitely a bit of traction behind Tyrone's 6'4" chant on the concourse as well.

Your defence is terrified, 'cos Wesley's on fire
Ooh, La la la la la...

Du du du Marvelous Nakamba
Du du du Marvelous Nakamba

La la la la la la la la, la la
La la la la la la la la, la la
He's six foot four, he's in the air
He's here, he's there, he's everywhere
Tyrone Mings is Villa's centre half

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »
The original Konza song was for me just very very shit lazy stererotyping. I can understand why people didn't like it but I don't think there was any hate or malice intended. That's not to mean it was ok to sing. 

The new new one though is just shocking. I can only presume two things. The chap who came up with it just rhymed rasta and master and didn't think anything of it because he's clueless or he knew exactly what he was doing when he wrote it. Either way it's pretty embarrassing really. We normally tend to do about 10-12 away games a season. We've not done one so far this time and I can't say I'm missing it that much.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
I go to every away and I have not heard this - yet, but I do go to the seats before the beer gets thrown around.
It is awful and in no way do I want to defend it but I wonder if they realise what they are singing or have picked phrases up from popular music without the education to understand the implications.
I do not feel that I would be listened to but perhaps someone could have a quiet word and enlighten them.
Or am I being naive?

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
Just pasted the club statement into the chantwatch thread.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2019, 03:16:09 PM »

The new new one though is just shocking. I can only presume two things. The chap who came up with it ... he knew exactly what he was doing when he wrote it.
This is the worrying thing because it is classic recruitment of the unwary into a world of stereotyped racism.
It stinks and should be called out by us, the silent majority; not necessarily by putting ourselves at risk but least by verbally blocking it.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »
I go to every away and I have not heard this - yet, but I do go to the seats before the beer gets thrown around.
It is awful and in no way do I want to defend it but I wonder if they realise what they are singing or have picked phrases up from popular music without the education to understand the implications.
I do not feel that I would be listened to but perhaps someone could have a quiet word and enlighten them.
Or am I being naive?

I suspect there's an element of this (lack of education), at least for the 'McGinn's his master' line.

However, not sure how much being thick is an excuse for being racist.

The club have absolutely responded the right way and it is just a shame that two days after a great, much needed away win, we're having to waste time with idiots chanting racist shite.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »
Of course it's not football's problem, it's society's bah blah blah fuckin blah.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #339 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
Anyway, let's get back to saying what a superb player Marvelous is shaping up to be. Wins the ball back effortlessly, but then nearly always tries something ambitious to start an attack off.

Offline villabear

« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2019, 04:51:01 PM »
The story has gone national now with the Guardian etc taking up the story. Quotes from the Kick it out campaign. Let’s hope the idiots who were involved are happy now people are talking about the club in such poor circumstances. They’ll probably see it as a badge of honour though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2019, 05:35:51 PM »
Or am I being naive?

I suspect there's an element of this (lack of education), at least for the 'McGinn's his master' line.

However, not sure how much being thick is an excuse for being racist.

The club have absolutely responded the right way and it is just a shame that two days after a great, much needed away win, we're having to waste time with idiots chanting racist shite.

Haven't been to an away game yet this season and do my utmost to try and avoid the Burberry clad masses, so haven't heard either song at a game yet.  I do recall, however, walking to a game down Trinity Road a few seasons ago and hearing a group (including a few girls I might add) singing something about Jon Kodjia's todger. 

Like you Paulie, I don't imagine that the people singing these type of songs are being deliberately offensive, just lack that bit of awareness to see how it can be perceived as offensive.  I can't imagine (and genuinely hope it is not the case) that someone has come up with a song that refers to one of our players being the "master"of another one in the context of slavery.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
I'd rather not give them the oxygen of publicity, but if you want to see them, it's in the Twitter clip below.

https://twitter.com/adamAVFC/status/1180576941025288192

That is shocking.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
I'm ashamed to be associated with idiots like that.  I hope the chant dies quickly as it is disgusting.  Please, please stop it.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2019, 07:58:01 PM »
How anyone on any level would think this song would do us a good service as a club, or, worse ingratiate ourselves with a potentially brilliant player defies belief.  Sad world at times.  We now look like we are racist to our own players.  Fcuk sake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal