collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bjorn Engels - Goodbye and good luck  (Read 78181 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: Bjorn Engels - Confirmed
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2020, 04:25:32 PM »
Engels enjoying the south of France I believe.
Yes, posted on Instagram - Hotel and Spa (could be injury related)

Dean said he's fine and that he just decided to choose Chester ahead of him on the bench, but that Bjorn was doing extra training at Bodymoor with Jota ... perhaps not realising that Bjorn has been posting his holiday snaps on social media in the meantime.

Awkward.

Unless he is in the matchday 18, I keep forgetting Jota exists.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2020, 06:11:53 PM »
Engels enjoying the south of France I believe.
Yes, posted on Instagram - Hotel and Spa (could be injury related)

Dean said he's fine and that he just decided to choose Chester ahead of him on the bench, but that Bjorn was doing extra training at Bodymoor with Jota ... perhaps not realising that Bjorn has been posting his holiday snaps on social media in the meantime.

Awkward.
Very odd, unless there was a big miscommunication somewhere within the management team.

Jota was a gamble that hasn't paid off at all, despite some pre-season promise; but then Blues didn't have much else to offer.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:05 PM »
It’s weird as he was good at the start of the season.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
I think the likes of Kodjia, Jota, Engels and possibly Targett are the players that Smith 'read the riot act' to at Christmas.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2020, 07:30:11 AM »
Was at a Reims game yesterday.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #380 on: January 23, 2020, 08:30:10 AM »
Would like to see him in a 3 alongside Mings and konsa.

Me too. Hause is starting to become a bit of a liability and desperately needs some time on the bench.

I agree, Engels is a better footballer than Hause.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #381 on: January 23, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
maybe but Hause has had little senior action  compared to Engles and is more versatile as he can also play left back.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:17 AM »

In the centre maybe, hasn't enough pace to play on the right side of the three. If Smith is blaming Engels for getting skinned by Shane Long then I would have sympathy for him. Engels isn't going to have a hope if he is expected to play a high offside line with little or no protection in front of him.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2020, 12:42:13 PM »

Me too. Hause is starting to become a bit of a liability and desperately needs some time on the bench.

I agree, Engels is a better footballer than Hause.

I didn't realise until just now that Hause is basically the same age as Engels and a couple of years older than Konsa.  I thought Hause was 20/21.

I've even less sympathy with his recent spate of slack passing gifting the opposition massive chances now.  Something needs to be done to bring Engels back in to the fold if he's fit.  Chester doesn't appear to be up to the job and our inability to keep a clean sheet could end up sending us down.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #384 on: February 02, 2020, 09:29:42 PM »
Thought that he looked reasonable when he came on yesterday, especially considering that he has been no where near the squad for a month for some reason. Obviously the game situation probably played a part but thought he did well.

Will obviously come in if Konsa is injured, but otherwise, I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a back three of Konsa-Engles-Mings going forward.

Also, I imagine this has probably been covered elsewhere, but why wasn’t it a penalty when he got punched in the head by their keeper?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2020, 10:28:14 AM »
Thought that he looked reasonable when he came on yesterday, especially considering that he has been no where near the squad for a month for some reason. Obviously the game situation probably played a part but thought he did well.

Will obviously come in if Konsa is injured, but otherwise, I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing a back three of Konsa-Engles-Mings going forward.

Also, I imagine this has probably been covered elsewhere, but why wasn’t it a penalty when he got punched in the head by their keeper?

The only reason I can come up with is that both the ref and VAR were both an absolute shambles.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »

The only reason I can come up with is that both the ref and VAR were both an absolute shambles.

I've not seen much of the rest of the game, but there was that one from their keeper, and to me he also didn't look that interested in the ball when Samatta scored either.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #387 on: February 17, 2020, 09:50:41 AM »
As much as his errors irritated me and loads of others im hoping he doesnt get cricified on his personal insta account. This caroline flack tragic story shows the effects that can happen by social media bullying.

Hopefully he has learnt a harsh lesson not to be so clumsy moving forward. Just keep it simple in future  👍

Offline Villan82

« Reply #388 on: February 17, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
I always liked a safety first, no-nonsense approach in central defence. I can't figure out if yesterday's error, and errors in a similar ball-park by other defenders, are individual errors or a symptom of a system that expects the defenders to be playing the ball out.

I wish he had just put his foot through the bloody ball!

Offline colin69

« Reply #389 on: February 17, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Thought Engels had a decent game for the most part but that mistake was not good enough. Imagine what Shaun Teale or McGrath would have done with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal