collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343838 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #1230 on: February 21, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
I've no qualms with the Law itself, whether remaining as it is or redefined in favour of 'daylight' or not. Whatever, as long as it remains in one form or other. The problems with implementation, officiating and adjudication will remain exactly the same while the current level of tech is being used.

As an aside, I know it's only getting used in goal and penalty incidents, but in these is it looking for any build-up infringements outside the area other than offside?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1231 on: February 21, 2020, 12:43:05 PM »
The trouble with changing the law to any part of the player, or daylight, or anything similar is that you're still looking at drawing a line somewhere when the measurement tool isn't precise enough to measure it accurately.

We need to go back to basics - offside is there to stop goalhanging, not to stop good goals where someone's heel was possibly millimetres further forward than the last defender whilst facing away from goal.  The rule was written the way it is because it was easy to do so and the fact it was being applied by humans meant that an inherent element of judgement was built in to its application.

Now it's being applied by computers to all intents and purposes that judgement has been taken away and you're getting silly answers as a result.

They either need to scrap the computer or change the rule to introduce some judgement again. Or we're going to keep having perfectly good goals ruled out.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1232 on: February 22, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
I don't really understand why everyone is wetting their knickers about the VAR official getting decisions "wrong". It's subjective, so your wrong maybe my right.
That is the fundemental flaw with VAR, it will never be resolved and has only damaged the game.

Stiil, crack on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1233 on: February 22, 2020, 08:22:04 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the Burnley-Bournemouth highlights on MOTD, sounds like VAR excelled itself there.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1234 on: February 22, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »
I don't really understand why everyone is wetting their knickers about the VAR official getting decisions "wrong". It's subjective, so your wrong maybe my right.
That is the fundemental flaw with VAR, it will never be resolved and has only damaged the game.

Stiil, crack on.

It has taken one set of problems and replaced them with a set of slightly different other problems.

Killing the atmosphere in games as it goes.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1235 on: February 22, 2020, 09:23:30 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the Burnley-Bournemouth highlights on MOTD, sounds like VAR excelled itself there.

Well at least we now know the answer on what will happen if VAR takes too long on a decision and a goal is scored at the other end instead.

And TBH, both the decisions were correct against Bournemouth.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:28:06 PM by Somniloquism »

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1236 on: February 23, 2020, 07:02:17 AM »
How embarrassing that a team can score a perfectly good goal and have it taken away for something that happened 20 seconds earlier.

It's clear and obvious to me that VAR is killing the game. Game by game.

It will relegate someone, probably us.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #1237 on: February 23, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
How embarrassing that a team can score a perfectly good goal and have it taken away for something that happened 20 seconds earlier.

I think we can manage to do that ourselves with out any help from VAR.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1238 on: February 23, 2020, 03:55:15 PM »
Why aren’t the refs using the monitors? Whats the excuse?

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1239 on: February 23, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »
They can then obsolve themselves of any responsibility.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1240 on: February 23, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »

It was a clear and obvious Penalty in real time so to criticise VAR for fixing the mistake made on the pitch seems bizarre. I agree that they need to be clearer on time frame of events before the goal though as there has been fouls in build up of goals previously which they have ignored as too far after the goal to review. However, in the use of VAR, we seem to point to how other sports use it as an example, and a French try was disallowed yesterday for a forward pass really early in the phase of play. Yes it is the French so.... but then it is also the Welsh so......

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1241 on: March 08, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »

Stiil, crack on.

Amen, it's a pointless crock of shit that's only benefit has been to increase 'media content', which I suspect is th real reason for it's existence.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1242 on: March 08, 2020, 04:10:57 PM »

Stiil, crack on.

Amen, it's a pointless crock of shit that's only benefit has been to increase 'media content', which I suspect is th real reason for it's existence.
And the PGMOL benefits because they now require an extra 2 of their members for every game. Twats

Offline Richie

« Reply #1243 on: March 08, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
Kevin Friend VR official Arsenal V West Ham gave the goal to lacazette .
What I didn't totally get is that the officiating team of on pitch ref Martin Atkinson disallowed the goal Arsenal scored  acknowledging Sian Massey Ref assistant flagging for offside.
It went to VAR and Kevin Friend using the lines and video tech of Stockley Park brought up to show goal was onside.
So Atkinson awarded the goal. 
The thing is I've seen in other matches where the assistants put flags up for offside and play just stopping when actually it was onside and the player could have put it in the net.
I think there needs to be a complete over haul of the assistants and when they flag on tight calls.
Really they, ref assistants, should leave things alone in situations and let VAR tech decide as the camera never lies.

Totally agree with this. The goal Aguero scored against Man United today was flagged offside and De Gea didn’t bother trying to save it as the flag was up. When they replayed it, it looked bloody tight to me. There would have been uproar from Man United if the goal would have stood. They might as well keep the flag down unless it’s absolutely clearly offside.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1244 on: March 08, 2020, 10:21:31 PM »
I thought it was onside when watching it back, then those dodgy lines were drawn on the camera to show it was offside. It wouldve been given if the linesman hadn't flagged (which I thought they werent supposed to in those situations).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal