collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 348361 times)

Offline danno

Re: VAR
« Reply #855 on: October 27, 2019, 11:16:30 AM »

It's been brought in to help referees and it does. It gives them something to hide behind.

Now instead of criticising the on field official we have to hope for the patronage of some mysterious TV viewer.

It's utter crap.

Bring back the way they did it in Russia please.

You mean exiling it to Siberia?

Scrapping it entirely would be nice, but it won't happen. So at least default to the least worst version we've seen.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #856 on: October 27, 2019, 11:28:03 AM »
Even when they were checking a couple of our decisions yesterday (which you just knew would not come to anything anyway), it was just a pain in the arse waiting for their decision. It really is cack.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #857 on: October 27, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Even when they were checking a couple of our decisions yesterday (which you just knew would not come to anything anyway), it was just a pain in the arse waiting for their decision. It really is cack.

It was one thing that both us and the Man City fans agreed on.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #858 on: October 27, 2019, 01:23:46 PM »
Richard Keyes calls 'VAR' , 'VR' because he says in Premier league there is no assistant but just a video ref. So the term is VR.

What I wonder is what goes on in stockley park?!
Like instead of watching monitors are they playing Rubix cubes , messing around on phone ,or doing Sudoku baiscaly engaged in hard word or numerical puzzles to pass 90 mins and then like some lax CCTV security guard  just press a button to acknowledge they received a call. And make decisions for 'fun'

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #859 on: October 27, 2019, 01:26:44 PM »
*and when I say Lax cctv security i don't necessarily mean Los Angeles international airport .

They do an okay job

Offline The Edge

« Reply #860 on: October 27, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
Will we ever get a VAR decision to go in our favour? Seems to be a weekly occurrence that we're on the end of a wrong decision. David Silva claimed he touched the ball in for their second yesterday which meant Sterling was offside and clearly impeded Heaton's vision. A shambles the whole thing. Suspend it immediately. It needs a complete review.
Yestetday it was very difficult to tell if Silva had touched the ball so i can forgive the var officials for not disallowing that City goal. However it's totally unforgivable what the referree subsequently did. Sliva unaware that what he was saying should have seen it ruled out, clearly says to the official "it's my goal because i got a touch on it" So why on earth did the ref not relay that information and rule the goal out as Silva's admission meant that Sterling was offside? Shockingly bad all round. The club should be asking questions at the highest level.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:24:24 AM by The Edge »

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #861 on: October 27, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
As a one off yesterday's decision was by far not the worst for us or other teams.  Hate the delays, the fact that the VRs are constantly backing the referees even when blatantly wrong and when they give a penalty it is completely the wrong decision.  Its embarrassing, ruining the game not much more to say.

Offline KRS

« Reply #862 on: October 27, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
My understanding is that the Premier League has implemented their “version” of VAR which includes the refs not checking the monitors provided at the side of the pitch. Surely if VAR is to work then it needs to be implemented consistently around the world. We need all refs to be on the same page and the same rules to be applied regardless of what country they are in, so for the PL to have different rules is a farce in itself.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #863 on: October 27, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
Odd how it’s gone from absolutely no penalties given that the on pitch referee has missed before this weekend into overruling them left, right and centre yesterday and today. I think there have been four penalties given by VAR this weekend (Crystal Palace, Man United x2 and Brighton). That includes completely overruling the ref who had booked Zaha for diving instead (VAR also reversed  the Chelsea penalty decision against the on field  referee).

Wonder if that’s been a conscious decision to get more involved?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #864 on: October 27, 2019, 07:55:07 PM »
Odd how it’s gone from absolutely no penalties given that the on pitch referee has missed before this weekend into overruling them left, right and centre yesterday and today. I think there have been four penalties given by VAR this weekend (Crystal Palace, Man United x2 and Brighton). That includes completely overruling the ref who had booked Zaha for diving instead (VAR also reversed  the Chelsea penalty decision against the on field  referee).

Wonder if that’s been a conscious decision to get more involved?

Oh joy. Even greater scope for them to fuck with our games however they please.

Offline KRS

« Reply #865 on: October 27, 2019, 10:55:21 PM »
How is the first Liverpool goal today any different to our disallowed goal against Palace?! Firmino did actually dive (Grealish didn’t) and the ball falls to Henderson to score. Not a sniff of the ref blowing for a dive and no intervention by VAR. One rule for some, and another for others. Consistent at being inconsistent.

Online Pete3206

« Reply #866 on: October 27, 2019, 11:17:31 PM »
Another VAR clusterfuck at The Emirates denied Arsenal 3 points.

The thing is absolutely pathetic. As games get to the 'business end' next spring, I can see it really kicking off with fans, as confusion and tempers boil over.

Offline KRS

« Reply #867 on: October 27, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
Man Utd gifted a penalty by VAR after overruling Atwell who didn’t award the penalty. Rashford missed the penalty that shouldn’t have been given in the first place.

Man Utd gifted a second penalty by VAR after overruling Atwell who didn’t award the penalty for what looks like a non-handball on the edge of the area. Martial missed the penalty that shouldn’t have been given in the first place.

Was the VAR official a Man Utd fan by any chance?

edit: ...and OGS claims both should be retaken as the keeper moved off the line, and not checked by VAR.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:34:29 PM by KRS »

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #868 on: October 28, 2019, 12:21:25 AM »
For me this is easily the worst ‘innovation’ in the game ever.  I would maintain that it should never have been used for anything but factual goal line decisions.  Subjective is nonsense & the use of slo mo replays makes everything look worse than it was.

All it has achieved is that instead of arguing about the incompetence of one referee we now argue about incompetence of two who are in cahoots to protect each other rather than get the right decisions.

It is a hapless system until they can or will show & explain the outcomes to those in the stadium - we also need to hear the conversations betw ref & VAR because whilst they are secret you have to ask is that because they are corrupt or is it because they don’t have confidence that they would sound more stupid than they look?  There was an occurrence at the Women’s World Cup where France were struggling as tournament hosts they then get the worst penalty decision I have ever seen via VAR & no one will ever persuade me that the ref wasn’t being told what to do to ensure hosts progressed.

They’ve gone all in on this garbage system but do you ever hear of them trying to recruit younger referees who are fit and able to keep up with the game?  How many players fail to make the grade every year? making it financially an option to stay in the game & fast tracking them would mean games aren’t all refereed by 40 odd yr old fat men breathing out their arses like Moss or Friend.

Switch the crap tech off until the users are able to use it

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #869 on: October 28, 2019, 01:01:38 AM »
That first Manure penalty especially was a joke, how they give that having turned down some of the blatant ones earlier in the season is crazy.

And also proof they are making it up as they go along, the big thing about the Grealish 'dive' was that VAR will not do anything about dives apart from pen/no pen so the ref had to blow if he thought there was a dive. And then VAR overturns a pen given by the onfield ref and the player is booked for diving, something a few weeks ago that VAR couldn't do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal