collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343585 times)

Offline danno

Re: VAR
« Reply #510 on: September 23, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »
I do think it could be remedied, if the referee gets a VAR notification he HAS to go to the pitch side monitor. He then takes another look at whatever it was, then he stands by his original decision or he overturns it.

The final judgement call remains his to make, and everyone in the stadium can see what is happening. The only thing was, that it did take a bit too long in the world cup.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »
The way VAR is implemented in this country is bordering on masonic.  It's a closed shop managed to protect arses and it won't change until the people responsible are dug out.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #512 on: September 23, 2019, 11:55:58 AM »
Watching Ref-watch on SSN for the first time - mostly absolute horse-shit and cringeworthy from Dermot Gallagher who’s just making it up as he goes along and frequently contradicts himself trying to blow smoke up the referees arses.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #513 on: September 23, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
Pointless crock of shit, spoils the game and leads to just as many debatable decisions only with one eye on the dickheads in black whilst ''celebrating'' a goal waiting for someone in a room to make another arbitrary decision over if his elbow was offside.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #514 on: September 23, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
VAR  is nothing more than a glorified "arse-covering" operation.  Anything to avoid exposing their mates on the field for horrendous decisions.

Offline eric woolban woolban

« Reply #515 on: September 23, 2019, 09:36:29 PM »
I hate the fact that a goal chalked off gives massive momentum to the other team.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
When so many media, and so many ex pros have criticized two major VAR decisions that have gone against us in recent weeks you realize that something is very wrong with what ironically is meant to make the game officiated more accurately. These are multi million pound highly consequential decisions that can ultimately relegate a team. That’s not to say that we haven’t been the architect of our own problems but that is 2 more points we could have now. 2 very valuable points.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #517 on: September 23, 2019, 11:22:43 PM »
At what point can someone representing the club at senior level lodge a complaint of some kind? Or even ask other PL chairmen to meet with the people running this circus?

Offline AllanW

« Reply #518 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:26 AM »
At what point can someone representing the club at senior level lodge a complaint of some kind? Or even ask other PL chairmen to meet with the people running this circus?

That's a very good question. I expect those sorts of discussions happen all the time BUT the current refereeing infrastructure and VAR regime is the one the clubs voted for! They effectively control the situation now by allowing this disastrous experiment to be run by companies owned by ex-referees and administered by the masonic glee club of current referees. Each individual club gets a vote at PL level to accept the regime they want in place. They have brought it on themselves.

That's what needs to change. The clubs are on the side of 'a fair and level playing field'. Same as us; we want and demand nothing more. The key point to grasp is that the clubs, organised through the PL itself, have been duped into beleiving that a system provided and administered solely by the referees themselves can work. It can't, it isn't. Self-policing does not and cannot work. Referees need to be guided and checked by someone else with a massive interest in the game but that cannot be the clubs because they don't trust one another.

It must be the fans. We want a fair game because that's the only way these horrendous mistakes which cost us all get eliminated. It must be us that provides the stable influence on them which flushes the system and helps it evolve as almost all other aspects of the game have evolved. Ther fans can rescue the situation by acting together in the best interests of the game. And what could be more necessary and valuable than a chance to produce a fair and level playing-field?

Offline Luke8

« Reply #519 on: September 24, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »

Not sure it quite constitutes exactly what you are asking, but I believe they had a meeting recently where it was at least partly discussed.

I think that was where Mike Reilly was claiming that VAR had only made four mistakes this season.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #520 on: September 24, 2019, 08:47:30 AM »
The standard of refereeing has been woeful in our 1st 6 games, even to the point of blatant bias (mr. friend). Even Sunday's ref had a shocker. He certainly did us no favours in the last 10 mins. Wasn't VAR supposed to address poor or contentious issues/decisions during games? Personally I've seen very little of this. We've been described as the unluckiest team in the league where decisions are concerned, but surely if VAR is being used correctly luck should have nothing to do with it. On Sunday's game we should have taken responsibility and seen out the game better ourselves, but as bad as we were at doing this, we could still have won the game if the pen shout was awarded (and we'd scored) and the free kick goal was chalked off for an infringement. Were these 2 decisions purely down to the ref or was VAR used? I genuinely don't know, but if VAR wasn't used what is the
f-cking point of it? It's okay getting support from people outside the club in regards to decisions that should have gone our way, but that doesn't redress the balance points wise. VAR should be doing this during games and clearly its not, so in my view is not fit for purpose. In the meanwhile refs will continue to be poor and get away with it.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #521 on: September 24, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
VAR has been oversold, just like the "fit and proper persons" test. It won't fix everything but it will make some things more accurate. The offsides being looked at to the nth degree was agreed by the clubs and this is factual, you are offside or you aren't. It's less used on more subjective decisions eg penalties and handballs, unless it gives a view the ref has missed.
They have been bad at communicating how it is used.
Also I don't understand the handball rule anymore.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #522 on: September 24, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
It's almost as if the more we scrutinise referees' performances and the more decisions we rewind and rewatch the more errors we reveal. I doubt refereeing standards are any worse than they've ever been, but I can see how it might look that way when every single decision is highlighted and debated. The only thing VAR seems to have achieved is ramping up the angst and fury.

VAR is like one of those UV lights that shows you all the bacteria on your pillow. None of it will kill you, you knew it was there and you've lived with it for years, but now you're able to examine it you can't stop and it's making you anxious.  You can either lie awake stressing or accept that it'll never be perfect and get some sleep. Even the cleanest people have filthy pillows.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #523 on: September 24, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »

VAR is like one of those UV lights that shows you all the bacteria on your pillow. None of it will kill you, you knew it was there and you've lived with it for years, but now you're able to examine it you can't stop and it's making you anxious.  You can either lie awake stressing or accept that it'll never be perfect and get some sleep. Even the cleanest people have filthy pillows.

I love the analogy so let's complete it;

'You can either lie awake stressing, go back to sleep and just accept the dirt or decide to clean your pillow at some point.' There. Those are the options. I'm choosing to do some cleaning.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »

I love the analogy so let's complete it;

'You can either lie awake stressing, go back to sleep and just accept the dirt or decide to clean your pillow at some point.' There. Those are the options. I'm choosing to do some cleaning.

Clean till you're blue in the face Allan, you'll never get all the blemishes out while humans are involved.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal