collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343906 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #330 on: August 29, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »
Until 100% perfection is fully proven, for offside, a 'margin of error' of 10 centimeters should be allowed to the advantage of the attacking team.  :)

How are you going to decide whether it is ten centimetres, use VAR? I'd say it would be much more difficult to judge whether a player is 9.9 or 10.1 cm offside than it would be just to judge if a player is offside.

I don't really get why people are so worried about offsides and VAR, it's one area that the technology should get right 99% of the time. The only issue would be where an official or a player who wasn't interfering with player obstructed the camera so as to make it unclear, in which case the decision would be made by the assistant referee.

If we add a 10cm 'margin of error' line on to the current VAR line that denotes the last defender that should do the trick. As mentioned in a previous post, to simplify matters, I would prefer there has to be a 'clear gap' between the forward and the last defender before being flagged offside.

Football is an entertainment, goals are its bloodline. We can't be disallowing goals because someone has got big feet or a big hooter. A forward does not have the advantage of lines drawn across the pitch and by instinct, will try to gain an inch on the defender. We don't want our forwards to have to go backwards to often. The current law is to the advantage of defenders and for the sake of entertainment, the advantage should be to the attacking side.

That is my worry, Mr Bully.

The ten centimetre lines could work, I suppose.

One change I would make to the offside rule now is to make it so that attacking players' arms don't count. As they can no longer possibly gain an advantage by handling the ball, even accidentally, then they can't gain an advantage if their arm is offside. Therefore it shouldn't be a foul.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #331 on: August 29, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »
But what about a millimetre in or outside of the 10cm? Where do you stop having an argument?

Offline exigo

« Reply #332 on: August 29, 2019, 12:36:19 PM »
Until 100% perfection is fully proven, for offside, a 'margin of error' of 10 centimeters should be allowed to the advantage of the attacking team.  :)

How are you going to decide whether it is ten centimetres, use VAR? I'd say it would be much more difficult to judge whether a player is 9.9 or 10.1 cm offside than it would be just to judge if a player is offside.

I don't really get why people are so worried about offsides and VAR, it's one area that the technology should get right 99% of the time. The only issue would be where an official or a player who wasn't interfering with player obstructed the camera so as to make it unclear, in which case the decision would be made by the assistant referee.

If we add a 10cm 'margin of error' line on to the current VAR line that denotes the last defender that should do the trick. As mentioned in a previous post, to simplify matters, I would prefer there has to be a 'clear gap' between the forward and the last defender before being flagged offside.

Football is an entertainment, goals are its bloodline. We can't be disallowing goals because someone has got big feet or a big hooter. A forward does not have the advantage of lines drawn across the pitch and by instinct, will try to gain an inch on the defender. We don't want our forwards to have to go backwards to often. The current law is to the advantage of defenders and for the sake of entertainment, the advantage should be to the attacking side.

One change I would make to the offside rule now is to make it so that attacking players' arms don't count. As they can no longer possibly gain an advantage by handling the ball, even accidentally, then they can't gain an advantage if their arm is offside. Therefore it shouldn't be a foul.

Arms don't count anyway. Only parts of your body that can legally score can be offside.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #333 on: August 29, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
Is that right? Well, ermm... that's okay then!

Offline Villa75

« Reply #334 on: August 29, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »
But what about a millimetre in or outside of the 10cm? Where do you stop having an argument?

I was going to post something similar. 😂

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #335 on: August 29, 2019, 01:54:14 PM »

I was going to post something similar. 😂

And a shoulder being an inch past a defender's foot several yards outside the penalty area... not much of an advantage in my opinion.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #336 on: August 29, 2019, 02:03:13 PM »
I would prefer there has to be a 'clear gap' between the forward and the last defender before being flagged offside.

Totally agree, the problem here is not with VAR it's with the offside rule - something that cannot be detected by the human eye at normal speed should not be checked/overruled by a slowed down video - you cannot detect millimeter infringements at normal speed, you need the gap.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #337 on: August 29, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
I would prefer there has to be a 'clear gap' between the forward and the last defender before being flagged offside.

Aye, 100 per cent.

Should be looking to reward attacking play, not hinder it.

If a forward is half soaked enough to wander offside as JPA always seemed to do, penalise that. But it's a nonsense flagging an offside because the forward's arm/ eyebrow/ left testicle is fractionally just past the last man.

Benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacker.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #338 on: August 29, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »

Aye, 100 per cent.

Should be looking to reward attacking play, not hinder it.

If a forward is half soaked enough to wander offside as JPA always seemed to do, penalise that. But it's a nonsense flagging an offside because the forward's arm/ eyebrow/ left testicle is fractionally just past the last man.

Benefit of the doubt should be given to the attacker.

I'm not sure Tyrone Mings, Bjorn Engles, et al, would agree with you.

Defending can be an art form/skill, just as much as attacking.

They're all playing to the same rules, so it fair. Once you start asking defenders to get a tape out to measure if they've got a gap of 9.9cms, and not 10cms, the games completely fucked.

No reward/advantage should be given to strikers/attackers. If they're good enough, they'll score within the rules, and without needing help.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #339 on: August 29, 2019, 10:39:34 PM »

Arms don't count anyway. Only parts of your body that can legally score can be offside.
What about dicks? Can a player be offside just for getting a bit too excited?

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #340 on: August 30, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe the rules of the game prohibit a goal being scored with a penis, so yeah technically you could be offside via an erection I guess.

Offline KRS

« Reply #341 on: August 30, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »
Pretty sure a few goals have been disallowed for elbows being offside...an England goal certainly was in the WWC.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #342 on: August 30, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t believe the rules of the game prohibit a goal being scored with a penis, so yeah technically you could be offside via an erection I guess.

Scored a hattrick with mine once.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:36:18 AM by Baldy »

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #343 on: August 30, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »

Big head

Offline Dogtanian

« Reply #344 on: August 30, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »

I remember Subbuteo, too!   ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal