collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 348296 times)

Online frank black

Re: VAR
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »
I'm sure any goal scoring opportunity or penalty shout can be reviewed if either the ref or the VAR officials feel that it should be. Their penalty was obvious, so unless the VAR team had spotted something in the build up that required a second look, then there was no need to review it. With offsides, it wouldn't be practical to just let play go on regardless of how obvious an offside was, there will have to be an element of discretion on that.

I meant their penalty shout in the second half, which looked a penalty all day to me in real time.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Ah, apologies. Yeah that looked like one to me too, so no idea on that score i'm afraid.

Online frank black

« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
Ah, apologies. Yeah that looked like one to me too, so no idea on that score i'm afraid.

Glad they missed it mind, but the question has to be how could they have possibly missed it?  Wonder if we will get our VAR celebrations on Friday. .... or VAR frustrations.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »
I think VAR was used for their penalty. Referee had his finger to his ear, and took a few seconds to give the penalty. I think it was just reviewed very quickly because it was an obvious call. I've been relatively impressed with how unobtrusive VAR has been in Villa's games so far.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »
I think VAR was used for their penalty. Referee had his finger to his ear, and took a few seconds to give the penalty. I think it was just reviewed very quickly because it was an obvious call. I've been relatively impressed with how unobtrusive VAR has been in Villa's games so far.

He seemed to give it straight away for me.

Online frank black

« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2019, 02:34:39 PM »

On that one he took 2-5 seconds, it’s  the second one which didn’t even get a VAR review that puzzled me.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »

He might have done but was clearly listening to someone so could have reversed the decision had he been instructed to do so.

I think the thing that differs from the Women's World Cup is that if you're not seeing "VAR Review" appear on the video screen, it doesn't necessarily mean that a VAR review isn't taking place.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:37:46 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »
I hate the handball law changes.

Online frank black

« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
I hate the handball law changes.

I think that it’s fair enough. An accidental handball gives you an advantage then it shouldn’t be a goal. Takes away any doubt and argument. Bloody frustrating if you’ve done your bounciest celebrations though.

Online luke95

« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
If any reviews need to be made, they need to be made on the referees say so. Both the decisions in yesterday's man city/spurs game would've been different if it was down to the ref without VAR influence

Online frank black

« Reply #190 on: August 18, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
If any reviews need to be made, they need to be made on the referees say so. Both the decisions in yesterday's man city/spurs game would've been different if it was down to the ref without VAR influence

But isn’t it in place to check the refs and linesman’s decisions. Rather than relying on their discretion?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #191 on: August 18, 2019, 03:16:47 PM »
What if the referee doesn't see something? Surely spotting incidents that referees miss is one of the main points of VAR?

Online luke95

« Reply #192 on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »

But isn’t it in place to check the refs and linesman’s decisions. Rather than relying on their discretion?

Clear & obvious mistakes yes .
What we are seeing at the mo is VAR calling the decision & not the ref calling it,  & him being corrected if he had got it wrong

Online frank black

« Reply #193 on: August 18, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »

What we are seeing at the mo is VAR calling the decision & not the ref calling it,  & him being corrected if he had got it wrong

But the ref made a clear and obvious mistake with Bournemouth’s second penalty shout  IMO. Also he didn’t spot the accidental hand ball in the man City game. VAR is inconsistent which is not what it should be. It can’t be used at the behest of the ref it must be independent IMO.

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #194 on: August 18, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »

But the ref made a clear and obvious mistake with Bournemouth’s second penalty shout  IMO. Also he didn’t spot the accidental hand ball in the man City game. VAR is inconsistent which is not what it should be. It can’t be used at the behest of the ref it must be independent IMO.

I agree Man City could also have had a penalty yesterday it wasn't even looked at.  From what I have seen so far it is inconsistent.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal