collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343894 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: VAR
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2019, 11:41:06 AM »
Personally I would only use VAR for offsides. It is an impossible rule for Referee Assistants to be able to check the line of defence and when the ball is kicked. At best this can only be done with peripheral vision so will always have an element of human error.
Like a few of us here I have refereed and run the line at junior matches and it is a thankless job, I would like to think that all referees in the British game oversee the games fairly and although every team will have decisions against them it tends to even out over the season.

This is one of football's great cliches. What if it's a 'six pointer' game and the wrong decision is given meaning the '6 points' go one way relegating the wronged team?  I prefer the other cliche...the bigger clubs get the favourable decisions.  And they do.  VAR might address or should address that.

I too have reffed and run the line in my time, it adds little to the debate though because we are talking about a far higher level where much money is involved on the outcome, jobs could be involved on the outcome too.   

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »

Such as? Please elaborate. Bearing in mind this is your opinion, and some people - professionals and spectators alike - have actually been crying out for video technology for a long time now.

Better redistribution of wealth, help for grassroots football, the farcical loans system, FFP, re-arranged fixtures and their inconvenience to supporters. Little details like that.

Just because those issues exist doesn't mean another problem, like the chronic mismanagement of games by pitch officials, shouldn't also be addressed by the use of video assistant. It's not a case of focusing on one thing to the detriment of others, holistic improvements can be made across the board in tandem with each other.

The Chelsea goals against Cardiff last season are a good example of why VAR is needed. I don't have any affinity to either club, but Cardiff should not by rights have lost that game, and when enough of those decisions go against you it means relegation. Hopefully VAR will mean that poor decisions are less of a contributing factor to Villa's fortunes in the PL.

65% of those who have voted on this poll obviously don't see it as a problem. As you said earlier, you have your opinion. 

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
Personally I would only use VAR for offsides. It is an impossible rule for Referee Assistants to be able to check the line of defence and when the ball is kicked. At best this can only be done with peripheral vision so will always have an element of human error.
Like a few of us here I have refereed and run the line at junior matches and it is a thankless job, I would like to think that all referees in the British game oversee the games fairly and although every team will have decisions against them it tends to even out over the season.

This is one of football's great cliches. What if it's a 'six pointer' game and the wrong decision is given meaning the '6 points' go one way relegating the wronged team?  I prefer the other cliche...the bigger clubs get the favourable decisions.  And they do.  VAR might address or should address that.

I too have reffed and run the line in my time, it adds little to the debate though because we are talking about a far higher level where much money is involved on the outcome, jobs could be involved on the outcome too.   

Well said that man.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »
I like the idea of goal line technology but thats about it.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »

Such as? Please elaborate. Bearing in mind this is your opinion, and some people - professionals and spectators alike - have actually been crying out for video technology for a long time now.

Better redistribution of wealth, help for grassroots football, the farcical loans system, FFP, re-arranged fixtures and their inconvenience to supporters. Little details like that.

Just because those issues exist doesn't mean another problem, like the chronic mismanagement of games by pitch officials, shouldn't also be addressed by the use of video assistant. It's not a case of focusing on one thing to the detriment of others, holistic improvements can be made across the board in tandem with each other.

The Chelsea goals against Cardiff last season are a good example of why VAR is needed. I don't have any affinity to either club, but Cardiff should not by rights have lost that game, and when enough of those decisions go against you it means relegation. Hopefully VAR will mean that poor decisions are less of a contributing factor to Villa's fortunes in the PL.

Cardiff got relegated because they were fuckin' shit, like every team does, like we did. They had 37 other games in which to put it right but didn't. Warnock is prime example of the kind of arsehole that championed VAR when a decision went against him but kept his bigoted gob shut when it went for him, like Wenger, Allardyce and all the others. Hypocrites of the highest order. And it's all if's but's and maybe's. We didn't lay a glove on Newton Heath in 2010 so there is no evidence to suggest that we would have run out winners against 10 men. People cite Lampards "goal" against Germany as an injustice, we were taken apart by a young dynamic German side so at best it would've made it 4-2.

Offline Brend'Watkins

« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
The Offside rule is killing the game..
Players Diving is killing the game...
"You can't tackle anymore"...is killing the game

All these have been trotted out glibly over the distant years and recent years.  You know what? The game has got even bigger.  But now VAR will kill the game.  Let's see, it isn't anywhere near perfect as yet as it takes far too long.  I'm sure they will iron that out in time.

Offline Brend'Watkins

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
I'd also like to add that it's been far too nicy nice on here of late, we need a good debate where there are completely opposing opinions to stir it up.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »
I also agree with Nev and Mr Woodhall.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »
I like the idea of goal line technology but thats about it.

Yes. It's immediate and it's effective anything else is total bullocks.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
Maybe the next step will be all games will be simulated via FIFA 20xx and there will be no need to actually play the physical game.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2019, 01:12:09 PM »
Anyone else thinking that it the decisions take any longer then how long before Sky drop in a quick commercial break?

That I feel is a bigger concern

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
I was all for it at first because of the ‘ correct decision ‘ thing
and in fairness you do get that most of the time

Im not too bothered about the time aspect either a minute or two is nothing to get it right most times ,
 no more Rodriguez cheating hand ball goals would be good I thought

the thing I didn’t realise was it’s sucking the sheer joy out of the game
The goal celebration is probably one of the greatest experiences you ever have in your life,
 it’s instant unifying chaos jumping around with people you don’t know and in that minute they are your closest friends in the world

and that won’t be the same, VAR threatens the joy, the energy, the uniqueness of the moment
so I’m not so sure about it anymore as it will change the way we watch the game for  the worse
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 02:28:11 PM by john e »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Those games would have been different though, going in at 2-2 after being 2 down could have meant the second half was very different. We may have lost 6-2 we have won 4-2, but the whole mindset with the English and German players would have been different at 2-2 with the Germans blowing a 2-0 lead.

Vidic goes then either Owen or Berbatov are subbed or at least moved position, considering they were both involved in the equaliser then again the whole game would have been different.

It's as big a nonsense to say those decisions made no difference as it is to say that Villa/England would definitely have won those games if the correct decisions had been made as we'll never know, what does seem obvious though is that both games would have been different from those moments on. All imo of course.

The game has been evolving since it began, if it didn't offside would still be 3 defenders between the forward and goal, there'd be no linesman, football nets, added time or subs and so on. This is latest and it will be a bit shit if they can't improve on it, but if they do it could be alright.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
the thing I didn’t realise was it’s sucking the sheer joy out of the game
The goal celebration is probably one of the greatest experiences you ever have in your life,
 it’s instant unifying chaos jumping around with people you don’t know and in that minute they are your closest friends in the world

and that won’t be the same, VAR threatens the joy, the energy, the uniqueness of the moment
so I’m not so sure about it anymore as it will change the way we watch the game for  the worse

I'd imagine/hope that most goals will be the same as they were as there'll be nothing to even consider reviewing, be interesting to know what percentage of goals at the WWC have stood with no delay to give us an idea if it is going to be shit like that on a regular basis.

Offline peckvillajunior

« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
I'd be fine with it if the guidelines were changed so that the VAR people could only use real time replays, this way only the clear and obvious errors would be flagged up. The use of slow motion is the most damaging as it distorts judgement of the game (particularly for handballs)

So the powers that be have rectified this by.....changing the handball laws to make the whole thing into a guaranteed farce

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal