collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343380 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #795 on: October 23, 2019, 09:50:09 PM »
I wont say it will never work, but in its present form it's an unmitigated disaster

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #796 on: October 23, 2019, 10:00:46 PM »
The World Cup version seemed to work well 95 per cent of the time.

I also don't get why the ref on the field on Saturday - having a clear view of Hourihane's goal- has to be overruled by a penarse in Stockley Park. Keeper didn't appeal for the foul, none of their lot did. But the lad miles away starts applying his own set of rules.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #797 on: October 23, 2019, 10:25:20 PM »
Another point about the Atkinson/Coote combination, from what I understand they seem to be matching officials with one more experienced and one less experienced ref pairing up. Isn't  Atkinson the "senior partner" and on both occasions it was his version of events that he held sway, overruling Coote for our goal but not being overruled by Coote when he was ref. Doesn't seem right to me.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #798 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:59 PM »
Another point about the Atkinson/Coote combination, from what I understand they seem to be matching officials with one more experienced and one less experienced ref pairing up. Isn't  Atkinson the "senior partner" and on both occasions it was his version of events that he held sway, overruling Coote for our goal but not being overruled by Coote when he was ref. Doesn't seem right to me.

Of course it was Atkinson who bottled sending off Billings against Bournemouth as well so he’s ahead of Friend in fucking us over this season so far.

Online The Edge

« Reply #799 on: October 24, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »
The World Cup version seemed to work well 95 per cent of the time.

I also don't get why the ref on the field on Saturday - having a clear view of Hourihane's goal- has to be overruled by a penarse in Stockley Park. Keeper didn't appeal for the foul, none of their lot did. But the lad miles away starts applying his own set of rules.
I said previously on here that i firmly believe that the referees are the main problem with var. They are using it as a way of covering up for each other. I can't think of a decision where the ref has made a whopper and Stockley Park have overturned it and hung one of their own out to dry. They only change a decision when it would be hard to criticise the match officials eg: offside by half an eyelash. I don't like var one bit but i do understand that time moves on and technology is going to be used whether we like it or not. My proposal is a radical one. Suspend var. Run a programme of extensive training which would be organised and ran by representatives from the clubs, former refs and relevant bodies. Invite  new referees who would have no baggage or loyalties to get in the way of implementing the system properly. Once fully trained replace all the existing refs. Fresh start and fully trained to use the new technology correctly in the way it was supposed to be used in the first place. Start afresh in 2020/2021 season.

Offline Tony Boucher

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #800 on: October 24, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
VAR should be used to determine if a ball crosses the line. Everything else needs to be a challenge from the manager. They get max 2 per game and would be limited to things like challenging offsides that led to goals or penalty claims either way. After that it’s things like violent play that should be left to a 4th official if the ref/assts have missed it. These incredibly narrow offsides and marginal infractions are killing the game.

We already have the technology for the ball crossing the line - thankifully without the disaster that is VAR.
For everything else, it should be down to the refs at the stadium. Bin VAR immedately.

I don't accept this "well it's here now, so let's just make the best of it" line - if enough people shout about it, then it won't be ignored. Remember the uproar about the 39th game etc?

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #801 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:04 PM »
Always think of Craig David’s rewind song when I hear VAR.

V-A-R
When the crowd shouts goal
Reject it
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:44:20 PM by avfc_1874 »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #802 on: October 24, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Sooner or later the you would hope that the penny will drop with the Premier League itself.  The success of their "brand" and all the billions it rakes in is surely based on the excitement of the English game, and its attacking nature compared to the more tactical Italian and Spanish leagues. You would think that all the chalked off goals and poor decisions are going down just as badly with worldwide viewers in places like Asia etc?

Online The Edge

« Reply #803 on: October 24, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
Sooner or later the you would hope that the penny will drop with the Premier League itself.  The success of their "brand" and all the billions it rakes in is surely based on the excitement of the English game, and its attacking nature compared to the more tactical Italian and Spanish leagues. You would think that all the chalked off goals and poor decisions are going down just as badly with worldwide viewers in places like Asia etc?
Absolutely. When a player scores a worldie which gets beamed across the whole planet these days it gets billions of fans talking about it. A piece of dazzling skill unites the footballing world in appreciating such genius. In who's best interests would it be to dissallow such a goal because someones toenail strayed offside during the build up? It's utterly ludicrous and will slowly kill the game if we stand by and let it. In my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 03:36:17 PM by The Edge »

Offline NeilH

« Reply #804 on: October 24, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
I don’t often post on here these days, but my god VAR is enough to wake me from my silent slumber and post. There is something so spontaneous and joyous as a football fan of celebrating a goal, think of the times that Villa Park erupted in joy in a derby or a famous European night and then imagine these great moments being wiped off the scoresheet by the faceless individual sitting in the gods with a TV monitor in front of him/her. I really don’t want to descend into hyperbole but unless something is done about this and quickly, then being a fan will not be the same.
I bumped into an Ajax fan in the gym this morning and inevitably got talking about the VAR, he had been in the Cruijff Arena last night to witness an Ajax goal wiped off the slate due to a matter of millimetres. Having heard the eruption when they scored I asked him what it was like to then find out almost 40 seconds later that it was scrapped from the record book? His reaction I fear could end up being the new norm “Next time I’ll look at the referee first and check for a VAR review before I celebrate a goal.”

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #805 on: October 24, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »
"The strangulated celebration will become a hallmark of the game in the years to come, no more "limbs" and "scenes" as the realisation that the goal might be ruled out after a certain time. Once it is given that magic moment has gone, it's just beyond awful. The whole game revolves around that moment of unbridled joy, overwhelming emotion, an eruption of relief and celebration and it has been reduced to a calm, dispassionate reading of events leading to a precise outcome that may be correct but is utterly joyless. Stripping the game of that emotion is stripping the game of it's very soul, it's why we watch and take part, the unpredictable rollercoaster will have it's dips flattened out and it's peaks reduced."

I posted the above back in July and it sadly appears to be emerging as one of the biggest drawbacks of VAR.

I was working last Saturday and as I saw the injury time goal come through on Twitter my first thought was "please don't let it be ruled out by VAR". That's just a really shit way to react to such a moment.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #806 on: October 25, 2019, 03:32:56 PM »
Away at Palace?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #807 on: October 25, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »
Away at Palace?

Didn't go to VAR .

I believe only 2 VAR decisions have occurred that could have been overturned
It may not have gone to VAR, but it's all part of the global VAR fuck up in my view.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #808 on: October 25, 2019, 04:06:40 PM »
Away at Palace?

Didn't go to VAR .

I believe only 2 VAR decisions have occurred that could have been overturned
It may not have gone to VAR, but it's all part of the global VAR fuck up in my view.

100% mate.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #809 on: October 25, 2019, 04:16:57 PM »
Yep, that twat Friend blew the whistle, knowing full well it couldn't then go to VAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal