collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shrews away: Match Thread  (Read 25445 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Shrews away: Match Thread
« on: June 24, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
Initial 1600 sold in 30 mins - a sign of things to come
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:22:14 PM by Legion »

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
Re: Shrews away
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 07:14:54 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens regarding an extra allocation. At the moment The Town are selling the East and South stand to 'home' supporters. This implies that if an extra allocation were to be granted it would be in the North stand. However, this is the main side stand (where the players come out) which incorporates the sponsors and 'Sovereign Member' facilities making segregation difficult.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens regarding an extra allocation. At the moment The Town are selling the East and South stand to 'home' supporters. This implies that if an extra allocation were to be granted it would be in the North stand. However, this is the main side stand (where the players come out) which incorporates the sponsors and 'Sovereign Member' facilities making segregation difficult.

I was born in Shrewsbury and I can confirm that it's a pretty tasty town when it all comes on top. Not a game for scarfers IMHO. Top boys only. Do not, DO NOT pronounce scone to rhyme with gone.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »

I was born in Shrewsbury and I can confirm that it's a pretty tasty town when it all comes on top. Not a game for scarfers IMHO. Top boys only. Do not, DO NOT pronounce scone to rhyme with gone.

Copthorne-born also!

As long as visitors refer to the town as Shoosbry they should be fine.

I'm hoping that I'll get in at the home end through a Town-supporting friend, though having grown up near Ludlow I was always more of a Hereford man when it came to local second teams... I was at Edgar St in 1996 when one Dean Smith skyed a penalty against Tottingham Otspur... Graham Turner in the hotseat for the Bulls iirc. Funny old game.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:21:15 PM »

Copthorne-born also!

I'm hoping that I'll get in at the home end through a Town-supporting friend, though having grown up near Ludlow I was always more of a Hereford man when it came to local second teams... I was at Edgar St in 1996 when one Dean Smith skyed a penalty against Tottingham Otspur... Graham Turner in the hotseat for the Bulls iirc. Funny old game.

I think Risso was too! We could form a bloc on the county council if we weren't too cool.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »

I thought the pronunciation depended on which side of the river you were from ?
Anyway with Cardiff being relegated it's good we still have a game in Wales.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »

Copthorne-born also!

I think Risso was too! We could form a bloc on the county council if we weren't too cool.

NEV-er!

Risso! Where bist, monner?

I like the thought of an H&V SCC bloc, despite being incredibly cool (obvs). The amount of abuse-of-privilege we'd have to undertake just to catch up with the rest of the trough-snufflers would be bloody fantastic!

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 08:32:48 PM »

Copthorne-born also!

NEV-er!

Risso! Where bist, monner?

I like the thought of an H&V SCC bloc, despite being incredibly cool (obvs). The amount of abuse-of-privilege we'd have to undertake just to catch up with the rest of the trough-snufflers would be bloody fantastic!

The People's Pikelet Alliance.

Offline Rodders

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »

I thought the pronunciation depended on which side of the river you were from ?
Anyway with Cardiff being relegated it's good we still have a game in Wales.

Nah Andy. If you're from off - ie *not* Shoosbry - the Shrews/Shrows debate can be swung (or swang) back and forth ad infinitum. Otherwise, and speaking very generally, it's Shrowsbury School and Shoosbry town.

(or just plain Salop, especially if you have a French penfriend forced upon you by school)

Offline Rodders

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »

You may just have inadvertently started a new movement, SE. And not just in my pants.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »

You may just have inadvertently started a new movement, SE. And not just in my pants.

I am very liberal.

Offline BC54 VFC

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:51:47 PM »
SE: that's interesting, I assume at RSH or whatever it was called then? The last time there was major trouble, mainly along Smithfield Road in the town, was when Walsall came 7/8 years ago (IIRC) in October. Don't think the EBF (English Border Front) are so much to the fore these days!!! Yes Risso (Martin) was born here, remember him telling me when he had a spare Ipswich away ticket from me in April last year.

Rodders: RSH I assume? Yes that's exactly how the locals pronounce it (no initial 'r'!!) Yes, I've always felt that Ludlow gravitated towards Hereford rather that Shrewsbury, certainly in a business sense it did/does, so not surprised. Roland Wycherley (the STFC chairman who I know well) once introduced me to Graham Turner in his office (during his 2nd spell as manager); GT went very quiet when Roland told him I was 'Villa'!

ALITA: Yes, it does, generally 'Shrew' north and 'Shrow' south (of the river). Ha ha, all the Brum mates of my elder son used to wind him up that he lived in Wales! 

I've lived in Radbrook Green (1.1 miles from the ground) since a career move with RBS in 1990, and it's proven to be the best move I've ever made.   

Offline BC54 VFC

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 08:59:25 PM »
Yes, I think a few of us from here could make a better fist of running Shropshire Council (the County was dropped a good few years ago) than the present leadership team (I can say that now I've retired!!). They even spent £51m on three shopping centres in the town last year, and didn't bother getting a professional valuation on the smallest! Surprise surprise, the latest SC accounts evidence, already, a capital write-down of £11m!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
I didn't know we had such a big Welsh following.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 09:21:49 PM »
SE: that's interesting, I assume at RSH or whatever it was called then? The last time there was major trouble, mainly along Smithfield Road in the town, was when Walsall came 7/8 years ago (IIRC) in October. Don't think the EBF (English Border Front) are so much to the fore these days!!! Yes Risso (Martin) was born here, remember him telling me when he had a spare Ipswich away ticket from me in April last year.

Rodders: RSH I assume? Yes that's exactly how the locals pronounce it (no initial 'r'!!) Yes, I've always felt that Ludlow gravitated towards Hereford rather that Shrewsbury, certainly in a business sense it did/does, so not surprised. Roland Wycherley (the STFC chairman who I know well) once introduced me to Graham Turner in his office (during his 2nd spell as manager); GT went very quiet when Roland told him I was 'Villa'!

ALITA: Yes, it does, generally 'Shrew' north and 'Shrow' south (of the river). Ha ha, all the Brum mates of my elder son used to wind him up that he lived in Wales! 

I've lived in Radbrook Green (1.1 miles from the ground) since a career move with RBS in 1990, and it's proven to be the best move I've ever made.   

I was joking re the hoolies BC54!

I don't really know Shrewsbury. I ought to have been born in the Cottage Hospital in Wellington but the doctors thought that I might have spina bifida so they sent my mum to the Copthorne. I didn't have spina bifida. Clearly the doctors just thought I was too classy to be born in Telford.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal