collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shrews away: Match Thread  (Read 25640 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Shrews away
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
I didn't know we had such a big Welsh following.

They come for the sheep, they stay for the seaweed.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »

They come for the sheep, they stay for the seaweed.
Careful what ewe say!

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 09:31:41 PM »
SE: that's interesting, I assume at RSH or whatever it was called then? The last time there was major trouble, mainly along Smithfield Road in the town, was when Walsall came 7/8 years ago (IIRC) in October. Don't think the EBF (English Border Front) are so much to the fore these days!!! Yes Risso (Martin) was born here, remember him telling me when he had a spare Ipswich away ticket from me in April last year.

Rodders: RSH I assume? Yes that's exactly how the locals pronounce it (no initial 'r'!!) Yes, I've always felt that Ludlow gravitated towards Hereford rather that Shrewsbury, certainly in a business sense it did/does, so not surprised. Roland Wycherley (the STFC chairman who I know well) once introduced me to Graham Turner in his office (during his 2nd spell as manager); GT went very quiet when Roland told him I was 'Villa'!

ALITA: Yes, it does, generally 'Shrew' north and 'Shrow' south (of the river). Ha ha, all the Brum mates of my elder son used to wind him up that he lived in Wales! 

I've lived in Radbrook Green (1.1 miles from the ground) since a career move with RBS in 1990, and it's proven to be the best move I've ever made.   

I was joking re the hoolies BC54!

I don't really know Shrewsbury. I ought to have been born in the Cottage Hospital in Wellington but the doctors thought that I might have spina bifida so they sent my mum to the Copthorne. I didn't have spina bifida. Clearly the doctors just thought I was too classy to be born in Telford.
Thought you probably were; it's a pretty conservative town as I'm sure you are aware. It's front page news here if a cat gets rescued from a tree.

Yes there's alot of competition between the two towns and you've sussed it correctly; my younger son was also born at Copthorne (RSH). However, as a Brummie, I always found it easier to do business in Telford, people more 'down to earth' etc, and I sat on a business board there for a long time so would never knock the town.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »
SE: that's interesting, I assume at RSH or whatever it was called then? The last time there was major trouble, mainly along Smithfield Road in the town, was when Walsall came 7/8 years ago (IIRC) in October. Don't think the EBF (English Border Front) are so much to the fore these days!!! Yes Risso (Martin) was born here, remember him telling me when he had a spare Ipswich away ticket from me in April last year.

Rodders: RSH I assume? Yes that's exactly how the locals pronounce it (no initial 'r'!!) Yes, I've always felt that Ludlow gravitated towards Hereford rather that Shrewsbury, certainly in a business sense it did/does, so not surprised. Roland Wycherley (the STFC chairman who I know well) once introduced me to Graham Turner in his office (during his 2nd spell as manager); GT went very quiet when Roland told him I was 'Villa'!

ALITA: Yes, it does, generally 'Shrew' north and 'Shrow' south (of the river). Ha ha, all the Brum mates of my elder son used to wind him up that he lived in Wales! 

I've lived in Radbrook Green (1.1 miles from the ground) since a career move with RBS in 1990, and it's proven to be the best move I've ever made.   

I was joking re the hoolies BC54!

I don't really know Shrewsbury. I ought to have been born in the Cottage Hospital in Wellington but the doctors thought that I might have spina bifida so they sent my mum to the Copthorne. I didn't have spina bifida. Clearly the doctors just thought I was too classy to be born in Telford.
Thought you probably were; it's a pretty conservative town as I'm sure you are aware. It's front page news here if a cat gets rescued from a tree.

Yes there's alot of competition between the two towns and you've sussed it correctly; my younger son was also born at Copthorne (RSH). However, as a Brummie, I always found it easier to do business in Telford, people more 'down to earth' etc, and I sat on a business board there for a long time so would never knock the town.

In that case, let me. It's fucking horrible!

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 09:34:50 PM »
Harsh! Visually perhaps, but not the people, although there are 2/3 dodgy areas, as there are in Shrewsbury too!

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »
Harsh! Visually perhaps, but not the people, although there are 2/3 dodgy areas, as there are in Shrewsbury too!

Perhaps a little harsh. And there are definitely good people there. But it's the opposite of how people should live. Badly designed and then abandoned.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
Yes have got to know loads since I moved to South Wales just over 30 years ago, unfortunately it also reminds me of the day I was embarrassed to be a villan...
Away to SWANSEA city the day GARY speed had died, sombre atmosphere and pretty shit game. Myself and daughter in back row of out allocation. Some welsh villains from Newport hung their flag which was a welsh dragon in claret and blue from their supporters club behind us about 30 mins before kick off.
3. Ins pre kick off 3 piss heads walked up steps to their seats in row in front of us and noticed flag and promptly ripped it to shreds saying we don’t want any foreign welsh supporters in our club. The flags owners challenged them and then a brawl amongst about 15 of our fans started.
Pathetic and spoilt atmosphere, my daughter , welsh born and bred scared stiff rest of game and no singing as didn’t want her and partially My accents to be noticed
Bloody disgrace

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 10:01:50 PM »

The(Welsh)y come in the sheep, they stay for the seaweed.

Fixed.

BC54, there was no such thing as RSH when I was borned, just Copthorne Hozpital, in Nissen Huts across the road from the current site.

My elder son was born at RSH, my younger at PRH in Telford, so a foot in each camp as it were. I shall be advising the younger to just say, "Shropshire" when asked.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 10:05:50 PM »

The(Welsh)y come in the sheep, they stay for the seaweed.

Fixed.

BC54, there was no such thing as RSH when I was borned, just Copthorne Hozpital, in Nissen Huts across the road from the current site.

My elder son was born at RSH, my younger at PRH in Telford, so a foot in each camp as it were. I shall be advising the younger to just say, "Shropshire" when asked.

Shropshire is what I say when asked. Salt of the earth man of the people that I am.

Online Meanwood Villa

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
Not born but raised in Shrewsbury. Anyone else go to Meole?

It's most definitely pronounced Shroosbury by those who live in the town, unless they're incomers like my parents.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 10:03:35 AM »
My new dentist is a Shrewsbury fan. I went last week and he heard my accent and asked if i was from thew West Midlands, then told me that he was from Telford. My first question to him was to ask if he supported Wolves. I don't want any of those freaks sticking their 6 fingers in my mouth.

I pronounce it Shrows-bury. Is that wrong?

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
If you want to pass as really proper local then the first R is silent and the whole thing has only two syllables, ie Shoosbry. In similar vein Ludlow is pronounced Luggla by the true natives akin to Birmingham, Brummagem.

But we're in great danger of entering crumplet territory here, so whatever you want to say is correct for you at the time.

The one caveat as far as the County Town of Shropshire goes is that there is a strongly classist element to pronunciation, where a carelessly mispronounced Shroo or Shrow can mean social death. Salop is safest if you're not sure!

Can we talk about football please?! I was thoroughly embarrassed by our last visit two pre-seasons ago - we were neither there nor even nearly thereabouts - and had to endure a great deal of pisstaking after the game.

I'm hoping that we'll see Wez leading the line and at least three more signings at the New Meadow - the season proper begins only a couple of weeks later.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 05:32:51 PM by Rodders »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
my Sister emigrated up to Elesmere a couple of Years ago they absolutely love it up there in  Shropshire

was thinking I’d go for a visit but if we’ve sold out I don’t know if I can be bothered now

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
Yes have got to know loads since I moved to South Wales just over 30 years ago, unfortunately it also reminds me of the day I was embarrassed to be a villan...
Away to SWANSEA city the day GARY speed had died, sombre atmosphere and pretty shit game. Myself and daughter in back row of out allocation. Some welsh villains from Newport hung their flag which was a welsh dragon in claret and blue from their supporters club behind us about 30 mins before kick off.
3. Ins pre kick off 3 piss heads walked up steps to their seats in row in front of us and noticed flag and promptly ripped it to shreds saying we don’t want any foreign welsh supporters in our club. The flags owners challenged them and then a brawl amongst about 15 of our fans started.
Pathetic and spoilt atmosphere, my daughter , welsh born and bred scared stiff rest of game and no singing as didn’t want her and partially My accents to be noticed
Bloody disgrace

There was a really serious brawl down in the lower section too. Sometimes you just shake your head and think "what the fuck?"

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »
Weather warm but dull today for all heading to the shire.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal